Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Death by Cop « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081210/NEWS01/81210025/1001/r ss01

Too bad, the guy was only 19 yrs. old. He shouldn't have cocked the gun and aimed at the cop. Really sad.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 625
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Title of thread should be, "Death by Self"

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3682
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a suicide.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5044
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the term is 'Suicide by Cop'

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isnt "too bad", in my opinion. Dont aim guns at cops, dont get yourself killed.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why they should have rubber bullets or some other non-lethal method of stopping someone like that in their tracks.

I realize that they may not have had the opportunity to employ alternative methods, but it's got to be hard on the police when someone does that. Really isn't fair on their part.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5046
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed, Meaghansdad

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rubber bullets? maybe they could just toss daisies or break out the aroma therapy at people that aim guns at cops ....sigh

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thing is, the police are not supposed to be in the suicide business. I do not feel that the police should be put through the mental gymnastics required when someone as stupid as that guy pulls a stunt like that.

Most police I happen to know would rather not shoot anyone. It's not about being touchy-feely.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A rubber bullet fired from a high powered pistol or rifle hits it's target with pretty much the same impact as a conventional bullet. Rubber bullets won't penetrate the flesh, but getting shot with one is hardly comparable to having daisies thrown at you.

As for this guy, he was just plain stupid

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well. I was exaggerating, trying to say dont aim guns at the cops and if you do you are lucky if you ARENT shot. So they are supposed to have two guns?? one for probably not deadly confrontation and one for pretty deadly confrontation? or should they change bullets depending on the situation? Dont get me wrong I dont think cops are all do gooders and righteous, all the more reason NOT to aim at them. Only reason Id have a bit of concern is if cops were in plainclothes w/o any identification.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, I'm all about police reform and community sensitivity and savings lives and all that jazz, but when someone is pointing a gun at you that is a different story. There really is no alternative other than for the cops to have shot him -- as sad as it may be. The police are not psychiatrists. They don't run mental hospitals. This one isn't their fault, and there is probably little that could have been done by them to make the outcome of the situation more favorable.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the guy was distraught over a minor thing in his life? Maybe he was high on drugs? It's a losing situation all the way around. I do have a lot of sympathy for the police in this situation. The police need to defend themselves. Just sad.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 536
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sane and rational person would not aim a gun at a cop. Unfortunately people don't have the guts to put a bullet thru their own head instead leaving the police to do their dirty work. I feel sorry for the cops who are doing their job and must shoot the person who is aiming the gun at them.

A policeman can't take the time to determine that a person is mentally ill and just wants the police officer to kill him and the person who is truly a criminal and wants to harm that police officer.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The police are not psychiatrists.

No, but if they kill enough people they might have to start seeing one.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see the article has been changed. The perp is not dead, but in critical condition.

Too bad, now he'll probably try to sue the city.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, he probably will sue. I'm glad the officer doesn't have to live with a death, though. My guess is, that once "the whole story" comes out, the incident will speak to the inability/failure of the mental health system to engage people in crisis for a variety of reasons.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.