Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » HOV now official « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 915
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan gets first carpool lane

"Gov. Jennifer Granholm Tuesday signed two bills into law that will temporarily designate a five-mile stretch of Michigan Avenue as the state's first high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes."

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081210/METRO /812100350/1016

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

weird, i figured they were official when they painted those diamonds in the road over the summer.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the idea is that there is now legal enforcement authority. What's not clear to me at this point is who can do the enforcing. Can the Detroit police enforce it? Will the city get a cut if there's ticket revenue? If so, I think we can expect to see a lot of tickets along there. Could be pretty wild, because with the shifting lanes on Michigan it's not always easy to tell when you're in the HOV lane.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gravity,

they painted and implemented the HOV lanes and then realized that Michigan law did not allow them. So, after a week of enforcement, they lanes were free to everyone until the passing of this legislation

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder if anyone will/does actually use them.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to split hairs...

The law did allow for HOV signage since at least 2005. However, it didn't specifically allow for HOV enforcement.

Note that the HOV lanes on Michigan Avenue allow bikes since they are the rightmost lane on a road open to biking. Without that exception, cyclists would have to ride in a middle lane on Michigan Avenue. [Note to Michigan Avenue cyclists -- you owe me a beer. ;) ]

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3881
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, we'll use them. Just wait until Officer Osborne starts pulling us all over. :-)

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 704
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would they put these HOV lanes on roads when the Freeways are where the problem stems from?

I think the HOV would have better effects if people who commute throughout the city via freeways were to see the advantages of carpooling. Not just along Michigan Avenue.

I assume many more roadways and freeways are slated for HOV lanes?

This just seems like a terrible starting place.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve, you're right, but you ignore politics. There is no opposition to putting HOV lanes on MI Ave. because it doesn't carry significant traffic. In order to put an HOV lane on a freeway you have to take away an existing travel lane, and I can't think of a freeway you could do that to where there wouldn't be a wailing and gnashing of teeth.

So the justification for Michigan Avenue comes down to this: it's meaningless, therefore it was possible.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was put in on Michigan with the idea that it help with congestion there during the Gateway Project.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 916
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The law allowing HOV restricts to only being on US-12 (Michigan Ave.) and in a city of population of at least 700,000, which means Detroit. It's not clear from reading the law if a local government could establish HOV outside of state trunklines (on a major County or local road).

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 595
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, hopefully they will repaint the diamonds now. As someone said, it's sometimes hard to follow which lane the HOV lane is, because the lanes shift around so much on Michigan between Wyoming and well.... Campus Martius...

Tkshreve

Post Number: 706
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
The law allowing HOV restricts to only being on US-12 (Michigan Ave.) and in a city of population of at least 700,000, which means Detroit. It's not clear from reading the law if a local government could establish HOV outside of state trunklines (on a major County or local road).

Laws can be changed..... right?

So in other words, what I'm hearing here is local(?) government made an empty attempt at being innovative, and knew it would be pointless. Ok... got it.

I guess I've never really seen diamond lanes except on freeways. I wouldn't even expect to see them anywhere else because it would be to cumbersome for city driving by having to turn and change through them. Then you tell me the city couldn't even paint a straight line. Brilliant!

What's next...... 5-way stop signs and square round-abouts?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

square round-abouts?

campus martius. we're half way there!

Tkshreve

Post Number: 708
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Campus Martius is not a gimme if you've never been to Detroit.

"Look kids..... There's the Compuware Center again"

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in Houston in the '80s, there was a section of I-45 that had designated "contraflow lanes." There's nothing like driving in downtown Houston and having traffic coming at you in the third lane of your side of the expressway. It scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it. You get accustomed to it, though.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 363
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back left turn lane control, make that the HOV lane and give out NO LEFT TURN tickets on a massive scale....like they used to.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.