Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Medical Marijuana « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone tried to get a permit to grow medical marijuana? I hear you can make the big bucks if you can get a permit. Which state office is giving the permits?

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably going to take a while to see how this plays out. My guess is that you're going to have a sort of hodge podge solution due to different cities/counties/sheriffs viewing the law different ways. My guess is that government officials who don't like the bill will try and ignore the will of the citizens who clearly expressed their desire to have medical marijuana.

Those who don't like the bill will probably look for every loophole and ambiguity in the law they can find to circumvent the rule. Other localities may be more liberal in the interpretation of the law.

I wish that our government officials would just respect the will of the people, after all, we live in a democracy. It doesn't really matter whether you support the bill or don't from my perspective. Now that it's passed, people should respect it. If you don't like the new law, that's fine, speak out against it or support a ballot initiative that limits or repeals it. I really don't even have a problem if law enforcement officials and elected officials publicly state their disagreement with the bill. That's part of freedom of speech and democracy. However, it's undemocratic and sets a horrible precedent to simply try and circumvent it.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt the various districts will give a crap.

Its 2008, ppl get it, marijuana isnt a threat anymore.

Bosh, under the parameters, 12 plants is all you can grow. outdoors you can do OK. The way they do it in Cali is they grow different plots spread out with each plot containing the max amount of plants (I believe Cali is 100.

Eventually Calis finest worked it out with the Growers that everyone has to take a bust now and again for growing too many plants just so the polica have record to keep their units running.

If that makes sense.

Im looking forward to finding out about getting a permit. Open the phone book under Government in the front, start making calls. Light a spark under their ass.

Go get a permit.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 501
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an interesting doc on the National Geographic cable station called Marijuana Nation about the issue of medical marijuana and how it's handled in CA, Canada and Israel. It just played an hour ago, maybe it will be repeated later.

Sparty06

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that documentary indicated that even in Cali there is a hodge podge approach to enforcement depending on where you happen to live.

Bosch

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/mdch/Proposal_1_QandA_2552 99_7.pdf

Apparently the plants have to be indoors or at least locked up. You can grow for no more than 5 people. I'm sure the state is still figuring out how they are going to license this.

I wonder if I have any of those listed diseases.

Sparty06

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The listed diseases are offered only as examples. I believe the law states that you must have a "dehabilitating" condition to qualify for medical marijuana. Thus, it appears it will be up to the doctor.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....when I apply for my permit to grow, I'm stating that I'm the supplier for Cheech and Chong.

Bosch

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask your doctor if weed is right for you!

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 718
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A clinic already opened the first day, it's on Southfield. The company that runs the clinic is already in 7 states. Your can go to their site for more info. They provide a doctor from another state, probably because local dr.s may be reluctant to authorize use. It's thcf.com

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14852
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that, Stotter!

quote:

Ask your doctor if weed is right for you!

Yeah, and then watch as thirty years and more worth of propaganda programming short circuits the weaker psyches!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd still be leery of going into it as a business. It still breaks federal law.

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd still be leery of going into it as a business. It still breaks federal law."

In Los Angeles, people are making a killing selling medical marijuana. One of my friends worked at a weed co-op and they paid him good money just to sit at the counter. There is a lot of money to be made in the business. They sold THC lemonade, ketchup, hot sauce, baked goods, candy, ect.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 967
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And finally, we have a president that has made it clear that he would not allow the DEA to prosecute sick and dying people for seeking relief.

Django

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan is not California. Its gonna be way more uptight, but at least its a start.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cycledetroit...you bring up a very good point; there are several ways to ingest the active ingredient of marijuana (THC) - folks need not necessarily smoke cannabis.

Marijuana tincture is relatively easy to process and it opens the door to more convenient, discreet & safer consumption

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Marinol prescribed for me during radiation treatments two years ago. 200 pills cost $1,200. My guess is real marijuana would have to be far less expensive. THANKS if you voted for Prop 1!!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kryptonite....If you were satisfied with Marinol results, you might want to know that it recently went generic.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=200881204108
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2008812050403

Links from last week's Free press, not all the answers.

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My nephew had a permit to grow 6 plants in California. However, he did quit growing because the Feds. can still come bust you and you could wind up with a big legal mess. He decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, we should have a detroit yes brand of medical thc. Proceeds go to detroit charities. hahah

Slogan: Detroit Yes. Marijuana...Hell Yes.

Trawka
Username: Trawka

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's my understanding that marijuana dispensaries will not be set up in the state. according to the law, each patient can grow up to 12 plants in a locked, secure facility or possess up to 2.5 ounces OR the patient can designate a plant caretaker, an adult over 21 yo with no previous felonies. the caretaker can serve up to 5 patients and is allowed to cultivate/possess 12 plants or 2.5 ounces per each patient at any given time. both the patients and caregivers will have to register with the appropriate agency. websites have been popping up that are trying to form a network that connects patients with willing caregivers.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, if pot "isn't a threat anymore" then whay does this still happen?

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/ states/newsrel/2008/detroit121 008.html

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a waste of tax dollars and what a joke

Django

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rj_, Ill try my best to keep this short.

QUOTE "Django, if pot "isn't a threat anymore" then why does this still happen?"

Lets do the math.

No one killed by the pot.
22 ppl charged looking at 10 yrs each min. thats at about $65,000 a year per convict.

If it was legal to grow, this wouldnt have been an issue.

Not to mention the time and energy put out by the law and prosecution.

I have no prob with prosecuting for the mortgage fraud.

Im burnin right now, should I go to jail??

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Smoke 2 joints before I smoke two joints, then I smoke 2 more

Django

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denb, AHH, the path of least resistance.

Im there.

Philbo
Username: Philbo

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denbytar64, that must be some shitty stuff you're smokin. I'm a Denbytar68. Does anybody remember Tai Sticks? umm,umm,good.

(Message edited by philbo on December 16, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.