Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Book Cadillac stay « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i will let everyone know how it goes. the wife and i are staying there tomorrow night for our anniversary. our trip to detroit (i drive there everyday) will include lunch in Gtown and White Christmas at the Fox saturday night...

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 525
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Anniversary!!!

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I look forward to you reporting back.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will absolutely love White Christmas! I went there 2 years ago with my gf of the time...it was awesome! Make sure after dinner in Gtown you stop at Astoria's for desert on the way to The Fox...its the perfect way to continue the evening of excitement!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9501
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swing on up to the Cultural Center for Noel Night if you really want to celebrate with the masses afterwards!

http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/noelnight.php

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LtDave,

My girlfriend booked us a room for my birthday tomorrow night as well. I've been to the motor bar multiple times but never stayed there. Looking forward to it.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will we be getting blog posts? :-)

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 555
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We stayed there about a week ago and it was really nice. The place is beautiful and classy, and our room, although small, was laid out in a way that made it seem bigger. Really comfortable bed and an awesome plasma TV. Everything is brand new, the decor of the room was modern with a touch of nature... browns and greens, leaf prints on the walls. There was a double shower head and thick, "to-die-for" towels.

The only negatives were (a) the surrounding area still needs a lot of work and (b) the staff is new and still a little clueless. We paid a lot of money to stay there, and our cost was supposed to include parking. They didn't tell us at all that, in order to redeem the parking, we were required to use the valet. We self-parked in the parking structure (which is specifically the Westin parking structure) and later found out that we would have to pay again for our parking. This should have been an easy situation for them to remedy, but when we complained they did absolutely nothing for us.

The parking situation was a fairly minor issue, though, in a very nice stay. We were so happy to see the Book-Cadillac open and functioning again

Ltdave

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a little back story here...

my wife and i have visited the area (heck we only live in ft gratiot) many many times and after lunch in greektown we ALWAYS hit the Astoria bakery...

i wasnt completely sure of the route and the locations of everything (i have a hard time going STRAIGHT TO someplace because i always turn too early or too late and then have to go 3 extra blocks because the next street is a one way in the wrong direction) so we drove around after lunch to scope the people mover stations. the one we would have gotten off for the Fox was the one i originally thought we would walk to. i didnt realize the one prior to that was one block closer to the B-C. the weather got extremely nasty (bitter cold) so we didnt walk to the show. i have suite tickets so that gets us the dinner and it USED to include parking across W. Montcalm but that perk is gone to the tune of $12...

we rode the people mover which we do every time were downtown and checked in. the hotel is absolutely fabulous although we didnt imbibe on any of the $6 water, $9 wine or the $10 oatmeal (for breakfast)...

there seemed to be quite the night life going on there in the little lounge adjacent to check in with all of the men in jackets or ties and the ladies in cocktail or party dresses. i assume the motor bar is the first 'restaurant' as you come in from Washington but we didnt go in...

if anyone can give me a tutorial on posting pictures here ill put some up...

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No the ground floor restaurant is Roast. The Motor Bar is just that, a bar on the second floor.

Ltdave

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that must be the 'lounge' then that i saw on the second floor. there is a bar at one end (the same end as the check in desks)...

i was at forgotten detroit dot com and realized i missed out on seeing a lot of the hotel but of course i wasnt there primarily to see the hotel...

still looking for help in posting pics here if anyone can lead me in the right direction...

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right Ltdave. Real nice bar with the gorgeous detail of the plasterwork! :-)

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 935
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stayed at the Book-Cadillac not long ago. It was nice.

The only problem I have, and I know it has to do with the hotel being fully gutted before the reno. But the insides seemed almost to modern. Very little of the old hotel was recreated.
Other then that very nice stay.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

still looking for help in posting pics here if anyone can lead me in the right direction...

The DY Forum FAQ indicates that images posted here must be less than or equal to 550 pixels on the longest side. Also, the file size of each image must be less than 50kb.

To prepare my images so they meet the requirements, I use the IrfanView free software, which can be downloaded from here.

Once you have installed the IrfanView software on your PC, launch it and select "File", "Open..." to bring up the desired image. Then select "Image", "Resize/Resample..." and in the "Set new size:" section, enter "550" in the "Width" or "Height" box that has the larger value and then click on "OK" to resize the image.

The smaller image you've just created now needs to be saved to your hard drive, so select "File", "Save As...", click on the "Show Options Dialog" box, set the "Save Quality" slider to about "50", give the image a new "File Name" name, select the folder where you want it saved to and then click "OK". Check the saved image to make sure it is less than 50kb, if not, repeat and save with a lower "Save Quality" setting.

To insert the image at the desired point in your message, I prefer to type the "\image" command as described in the "Old School" section of the FAQ. A placeholder appears in your message preview and when you finally post the message, you will be prompted to provide the file(s) for the images you have included in your message.

It is not that hard to do and if you make a mistake, you can always delete your message using the "X" icon at the upper right and try again.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will anyone object if I just wander in off the street and start poking around? I'm curious about what it looks like inside.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on if you smell like urine and old beer....you shouldn't have a problem bear.

My impression is that the curious consumer is a regular attendee at the Motor Bar, etc. I think that they are looking for you and I and others to walk in and (hopefully) order a drink and explore the reincarnation.

Enjoy!

Ltdave

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i get a chance i think im going to go back and tell them i just stayed there and that i would love to see more of the hotel. maybe they can have one of the 20 valets show me around...

i agree that the joint is VERY modern looking but im not sure how it would have gone over if everything looked 80 years old...

ill try the photos tomorrow...

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, you can walk right in.

Personally I love the interior. I realize its not the same as the old Book, but I think its a very tasteful approach to the modern look.

Meanwhile, has anyone else eaten at the boulevard room? Number one I think its one of the most expensive restaurants i've been in around this area for some very low end menu items. The club sandwich is almost 15 dollars. Soup is 7. Its completely and utterly ridiculous. I got the skirt steak entree for a cool 25 dollars which isnt horrible, but the mashed potatoes were blatantly from the freezer and the skirt skate wasnt the highest quality i've ever had. The mashed potatoes were freezer burned to boot.

It's not like this hotel is in some exotic location where you can hop up the food prices and people are still happy because its 85, sunny every day and your room overlooks the ocean. Something needs to change at that restaurant and quick.

Also, when is the WBC grab and go coffee shop supposed to open? It still says opening october 2008 outside of it.

The two above observations really bothered me. Otherwise though, I really love the hotel.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 325
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked by there the other day, and they said the coffee shop would be open next month.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll change your mind on the look of the Book if you go into the Motor Bar, Italian Garden, and the Venetian Ballroom! The detail is stunning and you definitely get the feeling of a 1930's room.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 752
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, you shouldn't judge the Book by its cover.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Will anyone object if I just wander in off the street and start poking around? I'm curious about what it looks like inside."

Nope! Friend of mine and I walked right in and even made it onto the roof a few months back. But even two weeks ago, when I lured my dad and his wife to Roast for dinner, we wandered around and into the ballrooms, etc.

Ltdave

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here are the pics...

id like to go back and see the grand ballroom and the italian garden areas...

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 598
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos, thanks for sharing! Based on your second photo, it looks like it was a good day to stay off the roads... Shelby is not much more than a solid ice two-track. Thanks again for sharing... looking forward to getting there myself some day soon.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 894
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see the guy in the one photo...oops never mind, just dust on my computer screen.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.