Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Favorite Detroit Catholic Church « Previous Next »
Archive through November 19, 2008Eastsidedame30 11-19-08  10:09 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 644
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sacred Heart Catholic Church, i-75 and Mack near Eastern Market. Fr. Norman Thomas. The most diverse Catholic church in the Archdiocese.

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Cecilia, but I'm biased.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5483
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So many good ones...yet they struggle. Start attending Mass at these churches, Magic, and tell your friends. The city churches need the continued support of their parish families that left for suburban parishes.

1) St. Joseph is one of my favorite places on earth (and pretty much heaven-like when they do orchestral masses). http://saint-joseph-detroit.or g/
2) Assumption Grotto is a beautiful place and great parish. Great pastoral team there.
-St. Mary Greektown, St. Anne de Detroit, the Cathedral, Sweetest Heart of Mary, and St. Josaphat are all landmarks and good parishes.
-I'd like to visit the surviving eastside polish churches of St. Hyacinth and St. Elizabeth next time I'm home. Who knows how long they'll survive. Sacred Heart and St. Charles Borromeo, too.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad grew up in the Vernor-Junction area in SW Detroit. My grandmother kept the house on Ferninand up until the late 80s. We used to go to Holy Reedemeer all the time for mass. It was always my grandmother's dream to send us to Holy Reedeemer, but my mom had her block torched during the riots and hence developed a quick fear of Detroit. They picked right up and headed to Sterling Heights. So we stayed in the burbs.

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for the great suggestions! Thankfully there are still many to choose from, but that number sure has dwindled over the years. I will likely be staying in the heart of downtown and will be driving to church, as I will be headed back to Indiana soon after mass.

I'll be sure to tell people to support these magnificent places Mackinaw, as they really are a testament to the opulent architecture that our country was once saturated with.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Francis of Assisi, Wesson and Buchanan.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Magic. Enjoy Detroit!

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetest Heart of Mary has 4:00 Saturday and 10:30 Sunday, which means you could go a few blocks west on Canfield afterwards on Sunday and see St. Josaphat during their noon mass. Sweetest Heart is IMO the prettiest church I have ever been in, including many of the European churches I have visited.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St.Pedophilia

Jleurck
Username: Jleurck

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Magic....let us know where you went and what you thought. I wish Bishop Gumbleton was still the pastor at Saint Leo on Grand River. I'd be very interested in hearing one of his homilies, and that was the church my grandparents were married at in the 1920's.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 449
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As mentioned, St. Aloysius is probably the most unusual one I can think of, and it is very convenient to downtown, being downtown.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 608
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sacred Heart in the Eastern Market. Rev. Norman Thomas is the best I've heard in Detroit.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy, though I'm pretty relaxed about my faith (like loving the Simpsons episode where Bart and Homer become Catholic and singing Vatican Rag by Tom Lehrer), that offends me greatly.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetest Heart of Mary with St. Hyacinth a close second. Those Poletown churches are truly beautiful.

(Message edited by DBC on November 22, 2008)

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2959
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

St. Pedophilia

Yes, the Catholic Church was way too slow in responding cases of abuse.

Yes, they haven't done as much as they should have.

But that comment still puts the ass in smart ass.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5487
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recommend a suspension from this forum for "Sludgedaddy's" comment.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw....I make no apologies for my lame attempts at sick humor. I honor your right to your own opinion. But, being irreverent takes it's place alongside a pie in the face or a kick to the groin, as far as I'm concerned.

I honor Free Speech more than any religion or government and their attempt to censor it. It is the most fanatical that have no sense of humor. The Nazis, the Taliban, fundalmentalist Christians, holier than thou Catholics, and of course, that "righteous" Rev. Phelps.

Any attempt at censorship brings to mind those glory days of the Spanish Inquisition, book burnings and bannings, Krystal Nacht, and to quote Bill Kennedy the throwing of another "faggot on the fire". There once was a long haired Jewish guy that once said "Judge not, lest Thou be Judged".

To quote another line, this time from my favorite musical ensemble--The Fugs...

"Do not place on my body the sign of a Fetish....Cross, Crescent, Phallus or Sun."

....and a suspension...don't worry, Mackinaw, I've already been excommunicated by the Pope for eating a sack of White Castles after a night out at the Grande on Friday before the meatless ban was lifted.

....and by the way Mackinaw.....Kiss my Ring!

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I make no apologies for my lame attempts at sick humor."

Hey, I laughed.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5492
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats, you've exercised your absolute right to free speech. You came into a thread where some of the forum's Catholics were sharing info about Detroit's churches and you uttered two words that, if not offensive to everyone, were simply uncalled for.

Be proud of yourself. You're a great American!

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 406
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy, I don't think you should be suspended, I just wanted to tell you how offensive and divisive your comments were. And I too have eaten a pepperoni pizza during Lent! I'm used to though, getting remarks like that from people.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People, the worst place to go if you don't want to be offended is the internet. Let it go.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chill out . . . If you're offended by a comment, ignore it! A lot of opinions on this forum are offensive . . . that's why I "ignore" the "Non-Detroit" issues threads.

On that note, my favorite Detroit church is St. Aloysius, because of it's layout is so different than the traditional cross-shaped churches of it's time.

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to mass at St. Anne today at 5 to watch an Aunt and Uncle celebrate 50yrs of marriage. The mass was held in the small chapel in the back of church to save on heating costs. The doors for the main part of the church were locked unfortunately. Not sure if Sunday mass is held in the small chapel or not.

Kryptonite

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, do you all know that some of these old Detroit churches are paying $8,000 - $12,000 per MONTH for heat? At least that's what I hear from two sources, one a priest. So, please attend the historic churches often and contribute generously if you are so inclined, help save some of Detroit's best architecture and culture!

Catjack7
Username: Catjack7

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite is Sweetest Heart of Mary.

Kryptonite

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, St. Hyacinth is definitely worth a visit. A friend of mine still goes there quite a bit and I have gone there with her. It's a very beautiful place.

Sweetest Heart lovers - check it out in January. they put their Christmas decorations up the week of Christmas and they leave them up until the first Sunday in February. They said that is the Polish tradition. Anyway, Sweetest Heart is even more beautiful with all the decorations in January. And on Fridays in Lent Sweetest Heart has a decent fish fry in the church hall.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both beautiful churches in the traditional sense. You definitely get a sense of awe when you go into those churches.
Each Holy Thrusday there is a tour of Polish churches. Those are two of the churches.

Jleurck

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Magic_mushroom, where did you end up going to Mass, and how was your experience?

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy: You go, boy! I thought that it was funny! To all who were "offended": Truth hurts, doesn't it? Bet you wouldn't be so righteous if one of your children was abused by one of those monsters hiding behind the cloth. The real tragedy is not that those people were priests, it was the fact that the Church did nothing about them once they were found out other than transfer them to an unsuspecting parish where they could do it all over again - That, my friends, is criminal.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 407
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the truth does hurt, but why bring it up? We were talking about churches not priests or the Catholic Church in general.

"Offended"- what the hell does that mean? I was offended, not "offended". No one was trying to be righteous, it's a very sensitive topic within the Church, just like the Holocaust for Jews and the Crusades for Muslims. No one would ask, what synagogue should I go to in Detroit and one dare respond "Temple Beth Hitler"!!!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Detroit, but close:
Sacred Heart, a Catholic church in Roseville at Gratiot & Utica, may not be open anymore; I don't know. That was a beautiful place. Lots of long, gorgeous stained-glass windows, and a crucifix, carved from wood, which was rather large, although maybe not as enormous as I remember it to have been.
Midnight Mass, on Christmas Eve, with the pipe organ, the choir, the frankincense... pretty special.

Jleurck

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to get back to the original intent of the thread, the original post in this thread went something like this:

"...Hello everyone. I will be staying in Detroit this weekend and plan to attend mass Sunday. As I have seen in this forum, Detroit has many great old Catholic churches around. Anyone have some suggestions for a church that is a must see in Detroit proper? Thanks ahead!..."

Ct_alum, If you want to start a separate thread entitled something like "An Indictment of Catholicism", that would be a GREAT place to voice your obvious frustrations (say in the "Non-Detroit" section). I'm not trying to discount your feelings or denigrate your experience – these things unfortunately did happen (though this was NOT the experience of the great majority of Catholics parishes). But really, this guy was just asking about old architectural gems and trying to find an interesting place to take in Mass.

So Magic, where did you end up going?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 834
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't say that it's my favorite and it's not actually a stand-alone church; but the chapel at Sacred Heart Seminary, on the corner of Chicago Blvd. and Linwood is a real jewelbox. It's in an Elizabethan style with beautiful stained glass and complimentarily colored pewabic tile. If you visit, I don't believe that you'll be disappointed.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family belonged to St. Jude Parish from 1945 until 1988 after my father passed away. My 5 sisters and I all attended school at St. Jude's. So, my vote goes to St. Jude's Church.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assumption Grotto - it's what Mass is surely like in heaven. Father Perrone is a wonderful and holy man, as well as the other priests in the parish. We drive out of our way to go there.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy:
Enjoyed your post. "Woke up this morning with my baby in my hand..."
I, too, remember the Fugs. Ate some White Castles after the Grande on many occasions. Bad experience with a priest. Knuckles mashed by a nun or two...
But Catholic churches are some of the most beautiful buildings in Detroit, and I see no harm in appreciating them, or using them. They offer relief to some without the nastiness of drugs!
I prefer live music with a good beer, though.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh. I forgot: St Albertus is beautiful, but suffering neglect and vandalism. I think it is being used in a very limited and tenuous way.

(Message edited by Bobl on December 11, 2008)

Kryptonite

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Albertus is still in use. They have a web site: http://www.stalbertus.org/
I have been there several times. They not only have masses each month but a few other events throughout the year. It is an all-volunteer organization. That I know of they receive no support from the archdiocese and are working to keep the church open as a Polish cultural site. It is a beautiful place to visit. Mass is in Polish which I don't understand but it is enjoyable.

Boo_girl
Username: Boo_girl

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree St. Albertus is an amazing church to see, visit and attend a mass. It is one of the oldest churches in the city. They still have midnight mass on Christmas eve there. There is a group of musicians that host a festival every year in September to raise funds for the upkeep of this historical site.

Tsomyak
Username: Tsomyak

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second the nomination for St Jude!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.