Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Katrina Hancock nice to know thee... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think Poor Katrina has created career suicide, claiming Pittsburgh hockey fans are better than Detroit's!

http://kdka.com/video/?id=4219 5@kdka.dayport.com"

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's half a head taller than any wings player she interviewed!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually find that kind of refreshing.

The whole rah-rah go home team attitude from local media people can get kind of tiresome.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katrina Hancock + Pittsburgh =BACK STABBER!
Fox 2 needs to put her on a Hall Of Shame!

GREAT JOB RED WINGS!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody can jump on a band wagon and claim that their team is number 1 and they have the best fans. Penguins fans are doing just that. Let's see how enthusiastic they are when their team slumps. From my understanding, years ago, they couldn't give tickets away for Penguins games and the former owner offered to reimburse season ticket holders if the team didn't make the playoffs, they didn't.

The great team that Pittsburgh does have tho' are the Steelers. When you consider their achievements in comparison to the Lions you have to wince. But I give the Lions fans credit for their loyalty and support of a consistently underperforming franchise. I don't share their loyalties but you have to acknowledge that Lions fans are great fans because they've supported their team through 50 years of championship futility.

Katrina Hancock, you've marked your own card. Once this video gets around, and it will, you'll have no credibility in Detroit.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Pittsburgh reporter cites the TV ratings but what he does not know is the large number of fans including myself that watch the Hockey Night In Canada coverage of the games on CBC that is not included in the ratings.

Dannyv

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the only coverage I watched too, Dr.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2396
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even when Mike Ilitch was interviewed on Channel 4 after the Wings won the Cup, he remarked about hoping to get more fans back into the Joe. I can see Katrina was just being objective.
But I can't see how even Pittsburgh and their so called "greatest fans" could have topped the parade and the bonding we evidenced on TV today.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason why hockey is popular in Pittsburgh is because it is the new "it" thing like the Tigers were here in Detroit in 2006. There's no pro basketball and the Pirates stink so this is the only other thing besides the Steelers that they can root for.

This year was the first year that every game was sold out in its existence. Even when Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, Recchi, Coffey, and Murphy were winning back-to-back cups they didn't sell out an entire season (remember the Pirates were good at this time winnning NL East titles). They still have 8-9 years to match was the Wings did in consecutive sell-outs. Only this year have they been able to do that. When I first moved there I could get a ticket w/ my college ID for $20. When's the last time any ticket has been sold at the Joe for $20 (actually maybe its something that the Wings could consider. It actually helped them gain a youthful, more boisterous fanbase)? Before the lockout they were averaging 12,000-13,000 for a home game.

Katrina was not here in '97, '98, and '02 and has no idea what Wings fans were like then when they were the "it" thing in town and were waiting 42 years for the Cup. In her defense, the question that was posed to here may have been different then it was framed. It could have been, "What fanbase has been louder?" only to have it framed differently by the Pittsburgh reporter to "What fan base it best?"

To me, one of the best fan bases in sports are St. Louis Cardinal fans and they aren't the loudest, but they are more knowledgeable and supportive of their team than most in baseball and have a national following so her comments about "cheering" really have little basis in what encompasses fandom.

There are a lot of things that make up good fans. Let's see where the Penguins are 10-12 years from now. There'll be plenty who want to see Crosby but if they can't sustain this (especially since they have 11 UFAs this offseason) it might be brought back down to earth.

(Message edited by umstucoach on June 06, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6976
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in Tennessee, the big sports story on the news every night was the Tennessee Smokies. Mind you, the Tennessee Smokies are AA Baseball. Just think about THAT next time you want to complain about local sports!

Downriviera

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its funny that all these cities are trying to take the "Hockeytown" name, when in fact, the city of Warroad Minnesota has been using it since the 70's. I played there once and I remember seeing all the Hockeytown signs on the highway. Slick move by the Wings marketing dept to actually register the name, but if Warroad wanted to they could challenge them on right of first use.

http://www.warroad.org/hi-hock ey.shtml

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She made an interesting comment during the interview. Pittsburgh has 3 pro sports teams and they all have the same colors. Can any other city claim that?

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I emailed her.

Dear Katrina,
As an avid and enthusiastic Red Wings fan and a fan of your reporting, I was saddened to watch you on Pittsburgh news claim that Pittsburgh has better fans. While your entitled to your opinion, I believe that could have been kept quiet. I, for one, do not believe that Pittsburgh has better fans, of course. I can only hope and pray that WDIV doesn't see that, which is a very slim chance, and fire you. I ask that you retract this statement.

Her response:

Please forgive me, it was a mistake and the reporter took it out of context.

Thanks,

Katrina Hancock

Therefore I do accept her apology as I hope you will too!

Dannyv

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I emailed Kwame

Dear Mr. Mayor, You heard the voices of the people at the Stanley Cup Championship Parade today. Why don't you resign?

His response:

Please forgive me, really, I didn't know anybody felt that way. Let me just finish out the fiscal year at the end of June and I will resign

Thanks,

Kwame Kilpatrick

Therefore, I accept his resignation as I hope you will too.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 258
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Dtowncitylover. The part you say " I hope and pray that WDIV doesn't see that".
You're TOO LATE for that! It's already on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =aE_CDyGV71c

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I accepted her apology. I like Katrina, she has great reporting.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is welcome to move to Pittsburgh any day

Just because the sheep in Pittsville all wear white shirts and act like low class losers to other fans does not make them better fans.

Kind of like the low class loser fans in Philly and new york.

Dannyoshow
Username: Dannyoshow

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great reporting...are you kidding me?..
The worst in the locker room..same dumb questions..over and over..Loved the crowd booing her at the parade...as her huge body blocked the people trying to see their hero's.
So she could ask "What are you feeling right now?"for the 1000 time! Funny that her email was taken off the WDIV site..

Dannyoshow

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

klady

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They probably took her email down so their servers wouldn't get swamped.

Dannyv

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's just another talking head, new to Detroit. I hope she hasn't unpacked her bags.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyoshow...you can't base her reporting on one night, have watched her reporting more than anyone else on TV...she is good.

Shiva
Username: Shiva

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try this:

katrinah@wdiv.com

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 561
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's just telling it as she see it. You can clearly see it on TV when watching the home games vs. Pittsburgh games.

Downriviera

Post Number: 618
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the Pens fans were louder and they stood more. I think the Igloo is a smaller and thus louder arena, and I'm guessing they have less corporate ticket holders, who tend to be more subdued. I've been to playoff games throughout the league, loudest I experienced were Los Angeles Kings game at the Forum and Black Hawks at the old Chicago Stadium.

Dannyoshow

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtowncitylover..
I'm not basing her reporting on one night.
I watch wdiv all the time...really..it's the lockroom stuff that kills me..when she reporting any where else she is good..agreed?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 725
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather watch her than Smilovitz's schtick.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 151
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A) Katrina could just sit there for 60 minutes, say nothing or anything and i would watch...

B) Mellon Arena seats 17132 at standing room capacity and the Joe seats 21,002 (All-Star Game shoehorned capacity)

C) Did i mention Katrina is one of the most beautiful women on TV?

Dannyv

Post Number: 241
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All she has to do for me is explain the video, how she was taken out of context and apologize. I'm not after anyone's job.

And she did do something cool in the locker room. Not that, you lecher, she handed the mic over to Darren McCarty and had him interview Chris Osgood.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Dannyoshow. Dannyv, I was wondering how she was taken out of context, she does need to explain that one. I think she was referring to one night that it seemed that Pens fans were more enthusiastic about it than Wings fans.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, it's the "it" thing in Pittsburgh right now. The Penguins caught lightening and its the new and exciting thing in town.

Remember pre-lockout: 12,000-13,000 average attendance for the Penguins.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 242
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And now she's busted locally, no doubt by a Freep reporter who monitors D-Yes.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080608/SPO RTS05/80608002/1053/SPORTS05

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've e-mailed her myself asking for the context, because you never hear the words, "So, Pittsburgh has better fans" come out of her mouth." Her answer may very well have been to the question, "Which home arena fans do you think have actually been more impressive thus far in the series?" Given that question, her answer was certainly justified. Give her a break, Wings Fans! And now that the season is over, the 37% of you who got on it can now climb back off the bandwagon, thank you very much. Whoops-did I just say that?!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think its funny that all these cities are trying to take the "Hockeytown" name, when in fact, the city of Warroad Minnesota has been using it since the 70's."

As has the Detroit suburb Saint Clair Shores. In fact, in the Civic Arena, there are still old bumper stickers, etc, with that slogan.

(Message edited by east_detroit on June 08, 2008)

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 903
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Chitaku. You broke this story to the Free Press.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katrina Hancock is annoying and does not know anything about sports. She can leave and take that tool Bernie Smilovitz with her! Weekend at Bernies, what a joke. What that was a movie like 20 years ago?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 793
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you seen the Channel 4 commercial about the Red Wings Championship? It's a montage of several play off moments. Near the end, Katrina Hancock declares, "These fans are the best!". Perhaps that is in response to this situation.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching the pre-game when Bernie and Mickey were doing their thing, and this Pittsburgh fan comes right between the middle of them and says "Detroit still Sucks". Mickey said something about Pittsburgh's lack of class. If Katrina thinks there so damned good there, maybe she can get a gig at KDKA. I know with that lousy remark, there is no way that I will ever support the Steelers ever again. Pittsburgh fans quickly forgot how here in the "D" we supported the Steelers when Jerome Bettis was playing for a Super Bowl Championship.

Maybe Wings fans aren't as rabid, or lately have completely filled the Joe. Did that jerk in Pittsburgh say anything about our unemployment rate? Kinda hard to spend a couple of hundred bucks for a nose-bleed area ticket when one is struggling to keep a house, pay at least 50 bucks for a lousy tank of gas (that's what it takes to fill my PT Cruiser),so maybe Detroiters sacrificed and watched the game on the Box at home, or at a bar. I went out to watch only one game at a bar this year. Times are just too damned hard...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.