Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » You're From Detroit? Rap something for me! « Previous Next »
Archive through June 06, 2008Mrsjdaniels30 06-06-08  5:42 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His name is Jerry Lanuzza, he's associate professor at the College of Culinary Arts at Johnson & Wales Charlotte Campus. He teaches a variety of courses, including Stocks, Sauces & Soups; Principles of Beverage Service; and International Cuisine.
He was in Norfolk for 10 years before he went to Charlotte.

(Message edited by jcole on June 06, 2008)

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, I've encountered New Yorkers who have never heard of Hoboken, let alone Detroit, Livonia, or Romeo!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, OnThe405, New Yorkers don't think there IS anyplace outside of New York, so I should have used an example of someplace outside of the 5 bouroughs. Like Texans...Or not.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, I knew your intent on the earlier post. However, it was an opening I just couldn't pass up.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, yeah your right, Thinking back, Ive probably done that myself actually, saying Im from Detroit, when I actually was living in a burb at the time. I just had this one friend who was from Canton who loved to tell ppl we were from Detroit while we were traveling together.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2547
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe it or not, it is almost hard to explain to people that you are from Detroit. The easy way out is just to tell people that you are from Michigan, but I always tell people down here in Charlotte that I am from DETROIT (because I love standing up for Detroit so much). It's inevitable that if you tell people you are from the D, they start by saying how sorry they are to hear that, and then proceed on to the usual, "have you seen any gun fights?" It gets to be very annoying very quickly. I just answer those kinds of statements with, "Well, I never saw a gun in my years in Detroit, then I moved to Charlotte and in less than a year, I got stuck up." That usually silences the nay sayers.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It amuses me to read the excessive ab-lib and perpetual hyperbole that persist upon 'basic white people' foreign to our stomping grounds.

To the contrary, the brief commentary of most Blacks, once they discover our famed Motown identity is typically a pleasant affair consisting of music comments, sports talk, Black talk, or perhaps cars...as compared to the un-documented wisecracks of most 'basic white' 'outsiders'.__go figure!

To be sure, this sort holds forth to most historical Black villages in 'amerikkka' ie; Harlem, Compton, D.C., Lower New Orleans, etc....

Once again, think 'code-speak' by 'basic white people'...decoded as....dem thar 'darkies' are barbaric in nature!

blksoul-atcha!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT A PILE!

Django

Post Number: 788
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so anyone bringing up a statistic on Detroits violence is a bigot? anyone who has read the papers outside of Detroit and comments on it is a racist? come on. Detroit is what it is. Are we all supposed to not talk about the condition of this city for fear of being labeled a cracker?

Theres no doubt that I hear shit from ppl about the brothers here in Detroit, but honestly there pretty far and few between. Whitie is not out to get you nearly as much as you seem to think.

Why must I always feel like Im walking on thin ice when talking about these subjects?

Ive got a story. I dont mean to offend anyone but I feel its kind of pertenant to where this thread is going.

Many of you know Im the dude who stacks rocks sometimes on Belle Isle. I was down there a few years back, takin a break from stackin, sittin on the grass havin a beer with a new friend who happens to be a brother with dreads. A couple walks up to us and asks me what I was doing messin with the rocks. I explained that I enjoy stackin them and there seems to be a lot of folks that like to see them stacked. They looked at eachother, then at me and questioned me "your tryin to tell us that your the one that does this?" my friend backed me up and said with a laugh that I was indeed the guy. They seemed really pissed that I was a white guy doin this work. They had it so in there head that it was a brother doin them, and were very happy about it until they found out it was me. They ignored me from then on out and explained to my friend that his dreads were a dis to the black race and he should have some respect by cutting them off. They then walked away.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit city is a hard place to be
especially if you aint got no money
there goes my friend larry and my friend tyrone
they got some fingers up them telephones
aint got nothing in this world but a hospital bracelet on just need a few dollars more to get my ride on. you got to get back
get back to pontiac you got to get home.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so you are THE Belle Isle stonehenge dude? That's pretty cool

Django

Post Number: 791
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that one M

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A while back one of my daughter-in-laws was having a yard sale in Windsor and I was helping her out. This car full of adult women stop and get out and start looking around. I don't remember how we got into a conversation, but one of the ladies was visiting from Great Britain. When she found out that I had grown up in Detroit, she was so excited to be talking to a REAL Detroiter. She asked me all about Motown and who all I KNEW! She assumed that since I had lived over the river I just had to have been chummy with The Supremes, Aretha, Stevie Wonder, The Temptations...well you get the picture! I didn't have the heart to burst her enthusiasm so I told her that when I was in high school I went by Motown almost every day on my way to school and home. Which I did - I didn't go in - silly me! But I often drove by. I also told her that Little Stevie Wonder performed at one of my school sock hops when he was first starting out. She thought I was the most exciting person she'd ever met! LOL Said that when she went back home she would tell all her friends she had chatted with a REAL Detroiter. I think she was impressed by the City of Detroit - our Motown - our town. :-)

Just My

worth

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 263
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x: Thanks for the enlightenment. I can see in certain circles where that would be true. However, you didn't mention the reaction when meeting people of other races...though I hoped you would. That would have been particularly insightful.

As for us being a source of amusement, well, glad to have brightened your day. Whining monologues of blame-seeking, race-based angst get very tiresome, don't you agree? Have a lovely existence!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time someone asks you where you're from, just say Hockeytown!

Django

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girl!

Eried. You REALLY had Little Stevie Wonder play your soc hop? thats so so cool. My mom talks about my grandmother calling my mom when she was a little girl over to the tv when he first appeared on the television to see "the little blind black child preform" My moms always loved Stevie ever since.

Soc Hop, thats f*&^%$# COOL.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time someone asks you where you're from, just say Metro Detroit. That way you're not offending the "real" Detroiters and you are still able to give the person you are talking to a reference point.

Django

Post Number: 796
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie, how do you do the two cents???

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah me and my cousin were in the NY a couple of years ago while visiting other fam in one of the outer boroughs. The "block patrol" of unemployed 18-24 misfits see us new faces in their habitat so naturally their curious, walking up to us as we chilled on the stool of our relatives dwelling. They asked who we were, what business we had, and what not in that NY dunn sun gobblegook. My cuz is talking to them but its obvious he is annoyed by their presence, he is a big guy with tattoos and scars on his face so him being agitated is making them nervous. And I am not saying anything but grinning at how many times one of them said "B" in a sentence. So the "block patrol" is getting antsy.

They notice we dont talk or walk like them so they ask where were from. I say, "Detroit". They say, "Word up B." I say, "Yeah." Now here I'm thinking we might have to get into a squabble or get to running in the house soon after telling them we are out of towners, but no the opposite happens. They kinda step off. One says, "I heard y'all Detroit n***as be wilin' an shit son" (best translation to English from NY gobblegook) We say nothing just look at them and then look away like they aren't even there. Then one of them asks have we ever done some wild shit and another mentions Eminem (he was popular then)and they keep going on like they are some white kids from Troy. It was shocking. But fun. We had a bad little rep for that day and we did nothing to correct them, in fact they even got cool, to the point we went and hooped with them later that day.

And these are New Yorkers in some shitty neighborhood in the Bronx.

So yeah saying your from Detroit has quite an effect on people, it makes you kind of badass if you think about it.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - yep - Little Stevie Wonder really performed at one of our sock hops. I think it was held at the Masonic Temple - gosh that's back in like '62.

As for the two cents - put your curser on it, right click and go to "save picture as" - click on that and then save it in whatever file you want to save things like that in.

(I learned the technique from BigB23 - gotta give credit where credits due - :-))

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 716
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always hate the people from Flint or like...GR or as far away as Big Rapids that drop Detroit being their hometown.

My boss down here always asks me if detroit can really come back, and when I give him my answer, he always gives me the ole blank stare and doesn't believe me. If I go to bars, wearing the old english D, people are usually pretty interested in starting up SOME form of convo about the wings, the job market, the mayor...

Its crazy...people think of LA, NY, and Chicago...but Detroit is something special...theres no place like it in the world...different type of person, different type of love for the city...

I get a lot of looks...and a lot of questions...people always think I am tougher for coming from the D...I let them think that, makes the convo's more enjoyable from my end.

Django

Post Number: 797
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc, Lol
Im the same way, Im a big dude but definately not a fighter or a badass. When I say Im from the D I just let it roll and see where it goes. Thats some funny shit sometimes. Rare breed Detroiters are.

Thanks Erie

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eastsidedame stated...
quote:

Whining monologues of blame-seeking, race-based angst get very tiresome, don't you agree? Have a lovely existence!

Yes, you can say that again! (stated facetiously)

The writer of the thread racialized it by suggesting people from Detroit rap__by the way (a Black Art Form)...Detroit proper, never had an overwhelming rap identity, that is to say nationally...So then what other reason would the author suggest that he perform a 'rap'?

On the racial front, the poster put forth a racial argument in a sub-terrain order__that is to say, in a very illative fashion, yet not explicitly stated....a key strategy in 'racial coding' sort of speak__go figure!

Bottom line, 'basic white people' are being advantaged by Detroit's inner-city external representation (gritty street tough image). By using the strategy of PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY, they get the so-called 'street-cred' to which they so much desire to impress their 'buddies' from the hinterlands of 'amerikkka', but yet at the same time within their immediate circles, office parlors, coffee shops, etc, they can get away with wisecracking, and rhetorical devices to transcend them beyond the harsh realities to which most true Detroiter's face daily castigation.

blksoul_atcha!

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny..when I was in Kentucky visiting relatives about 20 years ago, everyone I met wanted to know which factory I worked at when they found out where I was from. I just asked 'em which coal mine THEY worked at.
:-)
It always cracks me up when I'm outta town and people assume I'm some sort of bad-ass 'cuz I'm from here..I've lived in a couple different places right off Eight Mile over the years (One was in Farmington, but I won't tell if you won't), and when the stupid Eminem movie came out, all of a sudden people assumed I killed folks for a hobby in between my car thefts..never was asked to rap for anyone, though.

Django

Post Number: 803
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really dont even want to start, but. I just wish you would stop with the KKK thing PLEASE. Why do you want to divide ppl so badly, And oh yeah, I saw that Will Smith movie, I personally liked Randy Quaid better, (but of course hes white so hes got a better chance) "Plausible Deniability", what was the name of that movie that you quoted? Oh yeah, Independence Day.

So what your trying to say, and PLEASE correct me if im wrong , is that whites are taking away street cred from African Americans without their consent? What if eastsidedame is black and someone said to her, "Oh your from Detroit, can you fix the transmission in my Ford?" and Eastsidedame did fix the transmission. Since like 100% of the original automakers were white, that would mean a black person would be taking credit for something he or she did not invent. Am I making sense to you. Again, why all the division. and Im dying to hear your response to my post above about me stackin rocks.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x:

Thank you just the same, but I have own culture and roots from which to blossom. I love being both Polish and Italian, which I find emotionally very fulfilling. I don't need or want to hijack your heritage. No offense, but it just wouldn't be a good fit. If you knew me, I'm sure you'd agree.

Also, I think I said, talking in rhyme, not rap. And Shakespeare used to do that, as well as Gilbert and Sullivan.

Race and rap and talking in rhyme are not synonymous with black culture. It also has precedents in traditional Celtic music. You're a little too quick to claim ownership, thus bringing race into it all on your own.

I like jazz...is that a problem? Does the name John Hammond mean anything to you?

Is Michelle Obama hijacking "my culture"? She wears suits and not a Dashiki! See how crazy that sounds? I laughed when the press referred to her as "black Jackie", as if it were a compliment. Again, ridiculous. I'm sure she'll pave her own way.

We should all beware of letting the media influence us too much. The real journalists have left the business or write on the Internet. The influence of media and popular culture has gotten way out of hand in a lot of people's lives. I read as much now as when I was in school, and that was a lot.

So what if whites like rap? Amusing to you, right? Being in Houston, I eat a lot of creole food, and I love it! And Black people here love that I love it. (Mo' cayenne, cherie!)

Blacks and whites just relate differently in the South. Maybe that's another thread.

I don't see you playing accordion and becoming the first AfAm leader of a Polka band. But, if you want to do it, I think that's great! I applaud your seeking a range of life experiences. Shows you're a well-rounded person, is all...

Or dare I say it...diversity??? Isn't that the word we've been hearing for 40+ yrs? Uh, that means European-Americans too. Bring the ethnic neighborhoods back as much as possible. Now THAT'S DIVERSE!

Yes, why all the division? Why the anger?? To what end?

The fact that you are offended by those who are influenced in some way by certain aspects of AfAm culture just puzzles me.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2560
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So yeah saying your from Detroit has quite an effect on people, it makes you kind of badass if you think about it."

Yep. That was the second thing that I was gonna mention. Like Eastsidedame started this thread. People assume that you also rap, that you absolutely love and know all about cars. They assume that you know Eminem like you grew up in the same neighbrohood. They ask you if you have ever driven down 8 mile (I never tell them that I did at least once a week because that would spoil the fun). Did you ever light a house on fire? Etc. Etc. Any national preconceived image of Detroit it something that ALL Detroiters have done. You just have to pretend you are a badass...

(Message edited by charlottepaul on June 07, 2008)

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't take the title of this thread as an invite to rap. E'dame explains the purpose of the thread in the first post, and it's just about the various reactions (pre-conceived notions) you might get when you tell someone you're from the D. This thread was an invite for readers of any race to list some responses they've gotten.
I think most people (any race) who are not too familiar with Detroit are basically relying on media image having no first-hand experience to go by. Detroit got saddled with an aura of danger during that time it was the reigning "Murder Capital." People still remember those years. So, some of the first comments you hear might be about the crime. Unfortunately, it will take quite a while to live that down.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5510
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, are you the one who stacks rocks all over A2? A friend there called them "Zen rocks." What's the story behind it?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) In a very rural area of southern Indiana 10 years ago:
"Aw man, my favorite group, ICP, is from Detroit. Delray, man."

Didn't have the heart to tell him they never lived in Delray..

2)A louisianan:
"Ive never been there, but Eminems from Detroit, and I love Eminem so I love Detroit."

Hmm, both about rappers. Maybe asking someone to rap might be based on something....

Django

Post Number: 816
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz. No thats not my stuff, although hes the one that inspired me to start stackin. That dude is totally amazing. He works with round river rock, Its like balancing eggs on top of eachother. I havnt been there in years, I assume its the same guy. He worked mostly in the Arbs river. I did do some in ann arbor a few years back on maine just as you were getting off 23 heading south into town near the train tracks. Im sure thoes are long gone. The guy Im talking of owns the used record shop upstairs next to nickles arcade. He really is the zen master rock stacker. (well, Andy Goldsworthy must be the Buddah then)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5512
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah. Thanks. Learn something new every day.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame, Wow, an all African- American Polka Band. What a concept!

Dashiki Golabki and the Polka Bros?

Kowalski Meat Rapper?

Do you think they would be competition for the Polish Muslims?

Polish Soul.....Wearin' Gotchas....

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rap
crap
rock
roll
i need dough
yo i gotta go

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, do you know whatever happend to the guy in AA who owned the "Eye Of Agamotto" comicbook shop?

Django

Post Number: 827
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fly, Im not a comic book guy, where was it? I havnt lived over that way for quite a while.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I largely agree with Eastside dame's sentiments in her last post, and it reminds me, by way of an example of her point, of a group from NC called the Carolina Chocolate Drops (you might have caught them at the Arts Festival last year, where they played). They are an old-timey bluegrass/roots group - banjo, fiddle, upright bass, dancing - and are all black. People think of that kind of music as being lily-white - the CCD said that they are ofen asked words to the effect of "what are people like you doing playing music like this?", meaning "a black bluegrass group? weird!" - and for the last 80 or so years it has been, but it was not always so. It can be a reminder of how mutable and flexible cultures and traditions can be, and how what is taken for granted changes.

Perhaps, by the standards of Blksoul's post to which Dame responded, this would be an example of blacks 'appropriating' white culture, or the reverse, or both. But really it is just an American culture, informed both by west African influences (the banjo is originally African, after all) and Scottish/English ones.

Cultures and traditions that are locked up, so to speak, by those who claim exclusive use of them, will stagnate, while ones that are used, reused, remixed, deconstructed, reconstructed by everyone who has an interest will both thrive and create new things that will themselves later be the sources for yet more creation.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.