Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 7 Mile and Kelly question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on the Detroit side of 7 and Kelly in the 60' and 70' and have been wondering when the homes in that area were built. I was wondering, with all the combined knowledge on this forum, if anyone knows how I could go about researching this. I live out in the boonies (Almont) so getting into the Detroit libraries isn't exactly easy. What websites\online resources would be the best way to start?

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: I'm guessing mostly in the '40s. Our house on Mapleridge was built in '47 or '48 and it was the last one on the block. I think most of the houses around your area were already there when I moved into Mapleridge.... There used to be a feature on the City of Detroit website where you enter a house number and it would show you the owner, year built and lots of other stuff, but I can't find it anymore. They must have removed it. GB or ES might have a better idea since they lived closer to 7 mile.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Roscommon and my home was built in 1949.

Jcole

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived north of 7 and west of Kelly, where most of the houses were the bungalow, asbestos sided type, not the nicer bricks like they had on the south side of 7 Mile. I'm guessing ours were cheaper and therefore during the war or depression, but I don't know.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J:........15906 Eastwood here (the DETROIT eastwood) S. side of the street, 2nd house W. of Redmond, built in 1941 2 bedroom 1 story brick, my parents were the 2nd owners, bought the place in 1960, sold in 1980

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5448
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You live in the exact same neighborhood my parents grew up in. The census ised to refer to it as the Burbank District. dad lived on Rossini and mom on Collingham. the homes were built between 43 and 48 or so.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before my move to Roscommon I lived at 14118 Rossini which was built in 1928

Jcole

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, that's probably about right for my neighborhood too. I wonder what was there before that. I mean, was it all farm land, or what.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of these guys will know

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/129858.html?1212709232

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/93477.html?1212709041h ttp://atdetroit.net/forum/mess ages/5/93477.html?1212709041

Jcole

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, they were further south and west than the area I lived in, but thanks for posting the info.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt and uncle lived on Lister. They built their house in 1949. No mass development, you bought the lot and built your own home. I like neighborhoods like that.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 473
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That area was mostly farmland into the early 1900s. I have a crude map of the area drawn up by one of my ancestors. Prior to the great depression, apparently many of the farmers in that area had divided up much of their farmland into lots to sell. I am not positive, but I think that I remember my late father telling me they the farmers in that area subsequently lost many, if not all of them to the city due to unpaid taxes.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt and uncle lived on Lister. They built their house in 1949. No mass development, you bought the lot and built your own home. I like neighborhoods like that.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband grew up at 16088 Rossini. His mom and grandmother lived there before he was born. The house was built in 1942. It was one of what was called the "Miller Homes". I grew up on Wayburn east of Kelly and 2 blocks south of 7 Mile (Moross). Our house was also a Miller home and was built in 1945.

Jcole

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GrumpyOL, what is a Miller Home? Is it the style, or who built them, or something like that?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCole: I could kick myself for not knowing where the pictures of our Eastwood house when it was first built. The pictures along with the blue prints showed the neighborhood as it was first built. It showed two lots next to the house empty or with just the basement foundations being built. 7 and Kelly Kid is right, the year was 1941 (his house was right across the street). The same year St. Jude school was being built. In fact the brick is very similar. The picture also showed elm trees lined down the street that were only 5 or 6 feet high. Our first house on Morang, a duplex, was built later. Story has it the houses were built smaller and without copper pipe because of the limited supply of materials rationed during WWII. You probably noticed many homes along Morang and Moross are duplexes. The houses in your old neighborhood, east of Hayes and north of 7 mile were built very quickly post WWII in the late 40s and early 50s

)

(Message edited by kellyroad on June 06, 2008)

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am assuming it was the builder. I never really heard, but I do know that most of the bungalow style homes in the area were referred to as Miller homes.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents and sister moved into our home on Fordham four doors east of Celestine in 1936...I doubt that it was a new home at that time. They paid $2K for it. I think I remember stories that the street was not paved at that time. Likely those homes were built in the early 30's. It was a two bedroom frame house, asbestos siding, no basement, no central heating...later they finished the attic for a third bedroom for my sister.

(Message edited by GoBlue on June 08, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.