Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Someone stole the Church of Messiah Statue of Jesus « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some lowlife actually stole the Crucifix and statue of Jesus off of the Church of the Messiah on East Grand today. The pastor said that it may have been stolen by scrappers looking for bronze or copper, but they will be surprised because it is actually plaster colored to look like aged bronze.
What in hell is wrong with people?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4836
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Church of Messiah, Detroit

Church of Messiah, Detroit

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to steal people's yard gnomes. Also, we might've stolen someones baby Jesus from their manger once, woops.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's usually a small group that screws it up for everyone else.

Have a friend who lives north of McNichols and they had a major scrapping problem with gutters vanishing, you name it. Well, he on his way to work caught the guy red-handed, chased him down (eventually getting great help from the cops who are apparently looking for this), and got the SOB's.

Eliminating those 5 folks eliminated the problem.

Not to mention, if no one bought stolen material, there wouldn't be a market for it. But the always will, because it's too lucrative. Even if this statue was actually copper, I couldn't melt Jesus. It just seems wrong on a certain level.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you could take comfort that in all likelihood his soul will burn in a lake of fire for all eternity.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I "stole" a gideon bible from a hotel once...but these people must be pretty desperate for some cash...funny that it is ceramic and not copper, which they probably thought.

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want the Travelocity yard gnome, LOL! can you get him for me??

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7387
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Prophet Malachi said, " Will a man rob from God? Surely he would rob from this offerings and tithes."

Folks around here are so desperate for money that they could rob holy things and end up in judgement later.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, you actually can't steal a Gideon Bible because it says right in the book that you're welcome to take it.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm picturing this guy (I assume for some reason it was a guy) walking into Zeidman's or a metal scrap yard, trying to pawn or sell this thing after it's been on channel 4 and channel 7, and it is in fact worthless (from a shop owner's viewpoint) and so obviously stolen as to make for comedy. I'd love to hear the conversation: "yeah, where'd you get it?" The answer to that would be worth the price of admission.

I can't give you the Travelocity gnome but I have it, or a close facsimile; we take it camping with us and every picture we take when camping has the gnome in it. I think Mrs. Prof picked it up at a garage sale.

Jcole

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prof, I love it. I can just see the reaction. 'Uh, I found it'

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =HUJ4es4cYIU

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't fall asleep outdoors this summer, they might steal your gold fillings.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtowncitylover wrote, "funny that it is ceramic and not copper."

Not to nitpick, but it was plaster, not ceramic (which is basically fired clay). Of course, plaster can look pretty damned impressive and can painted to convincingly look like just about anything.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6910
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in Tennessee all last week, I noticed that the recycling and scrap metal companies had TV commercials and signs dedicated to saying that if you brought in stolen materials, there would be serious penalties. They stressed that the recycling companies were working with law enforcement to catch scrappers. I have yet to see any sort of stepping up from our local metal and scrap industries.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the scrapyards even care. That's the sad part. There was a story about cities (I think Philadelphia being the main focus) having to replace manhole covers because they're somehow stealing them and selling them to scrap. If the scrappers are OK with buying an obviously stolen manhole cover, what makes you think they'd turn down anything at all?

Instead of trying to stop scrappers from stealing stuff, they should have someone watching the scrapyards and catch people trying to bring the stuff in.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there are enough cops to do that. Murders take precedence.

Pollybergen
Username: Pollybergen

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

johnlodge:
there is a billboard on the lodge, near grand blvd that says
"steal copper, steal aluminum, steel bars"

not sure who sponsored it, though.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recent news from Lansing said that they were in the process of enacting laws to (hopefully) combat this scourge. Of course this IS Lansing... I'm not holding my breath.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6930
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polly, thanks hadn't noticed it. One thing is for sure, going after scrappers individually is like treating symptoms but not the sickness. The scrapyards need pressure put on them. You walk in with a bunch of air conditioner coils, it should raise an eyebrow. You walk in with air conditioning coils more than once a week, there should be cuffs waiting for you.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Various scrapping legislation was introduced months ago.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People NEED the Lord!

The thief asked: "What shall I steal today?"

JESUS is the Answer!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 630
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't think there are enough cops to do that. Murders take precedence.

[waits for the CAID threadjack]

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" I feel like bombing a church,
now that I know
that the preacher is lyin'."

-Bob Marley

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God help us

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j ustbeamensch/2296056595/sizes/ m/

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 932
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they've started taking car parts down in Charlotte now - catilytic (sp?) convertors

(this is new for them)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

crack head losers looking for a few bucks for their next hit.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5495
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Weiner poopie?"

"Weiner poopie?"

Thanks, Dan. I laughed my socks off.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 6423
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, can't penalize the companies, that is just plain anti-business

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The statue has been recovered:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 80605/ap_on_re_us/jesus_stolen

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6946
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has risen!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13005
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least he has returned.

They'll just put him back up on that damn cross.

I still think of Bill Hick's wonderful commentary on the whole cross thing...as IF that is what Yeshua/Jesus will want to be reminded of if and when He does come back around. You'd think a cross would be the LAST thing he'd want to see.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 505
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The statue has been recovered"

Damn! I was looking forward to seeing the statue on a milk carton (Have you seen me?) =)

Retroit

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

INRI: Ghetto Latin abbreviation for "Jesus of Nazareth, He's Only Plaster"

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The title reminded me of a mid 1950s episode of Dragnet where the statue of the infant Jesus came up missing from a Los Angeles church Nativity scene. Sgt. Friday solved the case. A small Hispanic child took it home in his wagon because he did not want Jesus to spend the night alone.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This story made CNN the other night, it was featured on the fly line at the bottom.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 872
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the graphic behind Carmen Harlan just now - "Jesus Returns."

Wish I had screen-grabbed that. Total link bait.

Glad the ol' boy is home. Throughout this, I've only been able to think of t-shirts in the "Jesus is my Homeboy" theme... "Have you seen me?"

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And in yet another twist, the jesus showed up for sale on craigslist:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=200880605071
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ clt/707942803.html

(probably a prank posting, but still)

Digitalvision

Post Number: 873
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the freep article...

“Jesus is not copper. Do not take him off the cross.”

Friggin' priceless, especially if you've ever seen one of those "Jesus is Love" license plates or other holy paraphernalia.

After thousands of years of scholarly study, I am glad we've come to the conclusion that Jesus is in fact, NOT copper.

Retroit

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear the church is celebrating the Second Coming of Christ!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4837
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Church of the Messiah is a very laudable congregation -- everything a church should be. They have done much for the surrounding neighbhorhood starting with the apartment just to the south which they lead to be a tennant owned. They have built and rehabbed several other properties.

The church was originally downtown and was disassembled stone by stone and moved to it current location in the 19th Century. Its original steeple was not replaced after the move.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps the Jesus Scrappers were expecting to obtain 30 pieces of silver.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 739
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They have done much for the surrounding neighbhorhood starting with the apartment just to the south which they lead to be a tennant owned. They have built and rehabbed several other properties.

Church of the Messiah has been a leader in the effort to stabilize and improve the housing stock in the Island View Neighborhood. That apartment building that Lowell mentioned above is, to me, one of Detroit's grand old mid-sized apartments. It was constructed before the days of abundant artificial lighting and air conditioning, hence the large number of bays which were designed to capture as much light and breeze as possible. Because of the thoughtful design, each of the only 6 apartments per floor has exposure on three sides. Garages were provided off the alley for tenants who had cars. And each floor shared a common front balcony.

The Island View Neighborhood is hosting a rehab workshop this weekend. I consider at least 2 of the houses that will be open to have significant architectural and historic interest.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/139633.html?1212759399

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stealing a crucifix. How rood.

Jcole

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RimShot

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.