Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » MDOT at work « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3209
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is funny. I've been watching the MDOT camera on the Southfield freeway at Schoolcraft for the last three hours. Apparently a sign came loose, and a huge crew has the freeway shut down completely (southbound). I don't know what their game plan is, but they have at least eight workers and five rigs there. Seems like they've been trying to figger out what to do with this sign.

(Message edited by ray1936 on June 03, 2008)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without the facts of the matter, how can you assume that they're wasting taxpayer time and money?

Now, I have seen some instances of waste in our highway system--starting with the needless replacement of EVERY sign along US-127 in Clare and Isabella counties, which might have been using federal dollars.

But you can't make reckless assumptions about an operation, unless you have substantial inside info.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speaking of mdot, does anyone know what the deal is with the overpass at I-75 & e warren? the construction has stopped and the date of reopening has been extended?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they are fixing a sign that was discovered to need repairs during a routine inspection. Better now than after it falls on a passing vehicle:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080603/NEW S06/80603103

The sign replacement is part of a national trend towards more "readable" highway signs. I wasn't able to find a specific reference to cite whether it's federally funded, but I would have to imagine it is to some degree. A few links:

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0 ,1607,7-151-9621_11041_32687-1 00477--,00.html

http://www.michiganhighways.or g/route_markers_clearview.html

This NY Times article gives a great background on the new font - "Clearview" - almost telling you more than you'd ever want to know about it's history:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08 /12/magazine/12fonts-t.html?pa gewanted=1&ei=5124&en=98f91dfe e8879900&ex=1344744000&partner =permalink&exprod=permalink

I'm sure a lot of the signs were probably due for replacement. Funny thing is, with something like this, it's probably cheaper in the long run to replace them all at once than to do them on an "as needed" basis.

A Google query shows that this is by no means Michigan only:

http://www.google.com/search?h l=en&q=clearview+sign+replacem ent

Sorry, no answers for the E. Warren overpass...

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazootyman-- Thanks for the links. I knew about the Clearview stuff. I have to admit I'm a biased roadgeek, since I prefer the classic-looking FHWA Series font. I grudgingly admit that Clearview is a bit easier to read, but then again, someone who has the least bit problem reading the old signs probably shouldn't be driving anyway.

Not only the signs along US-127, but ALL the signposts were replaced. Not just the posts that support new Clearview signage, but the ones holding up "WRONG WAY," "AUTHORIZED VEHICLES ONLY," etc. signs. The replacements were virtually the same height and exact same kind in almost every case. In some instances, the new aluminum-channel posts look dirtier than the old ones!

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly I wish they'd put more money/effort into replacing the old mechanical ITS message boards with the LED-based replacements. A lot of them are aging poorly and need to be replaced. Some are hardly readable anymore.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 782
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 7 reported yesterday that this sign was hit by a too-high truck, but the damage was not visible to the actual sign, only the frame work. That is why it was replaced without warning at an unusual time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.