Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » To all sourdough rye and german bread lovers.. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rheinlandbakery
Username: Rheinlandbakery

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone,
This post is in regards to a threat that i read about Burghardt's bakery closing their doors. First of all i want to say that i am very sorry to hear that they are closing after being in business for such a long time.
Many people were asking where you could buy good sour dough rye bread and were requiring information about any new bakeries carrying this item.
My husband and I recently opened a german bakery in Clinton Twp. We specialize in authentic german breads and german rolls called Broetchen.And yes, we offer a great sour dough rye bread as well.Our items are made with organic flour or untreated, unbleached flour. None of our breads have sugar, fat or preservatives added. Just come and check us out on a saturday from 9:00am to 2:00 pm.
If you would like any additional information please feel free to check out our website. Here it is: www.rheinlandbakedgoods.com
We hope to welcome you in our little storefront soon.
Corinna

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 971
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willkommen Rheinland-
As one who was sad to see Chamberlains and Burghardts close their doors, I for one will tell my family & friends of your new venture and pay a visit ASAP. If your products are in any way comparable to these old favorites, I'm sure you'll find a solid customer base.

A couple questions:
1) Will your products be available at any other markets other than your storefront (Nino's, Zaccaro's, Eastern Mkt, etc.)?
2) Will you make what I've always known as 'Laugenweckle' (sp?), or, to describe, rolls with a pretzle-like crust? They are my absolute favorite, but difficult to find.

Lastly, there are some rules in here about advertising, so I don't know if the moderator will pull this thread based on a violation of those standards. In the event that happens, don't be discouraged, stick around and join in other threads. You'll find the family here loves to support authentic and home-grown business, you'll find other ways to get folks here to come to know your business.

Viel Gluck und Prost!

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What became of their(Burghardt's) sourdough yeast starter? Doesn't it take years to grow these?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6937
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Echte Deutsche Brötchen?

Wiping the drool off my keyboard...

and writing down the address... :-)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

1) Will your products be available at any other markets other than your storefront (Nino's, Zaccaro's, Eastern Mkt, etc.)?

I'd like to know this as well. True German-style Brötchen right here in SE Michigan sounds almost too good to be true, but at $4 a gallon I can't see myself heading to Clinton Township and back every day (and day-old Brötchen simply will not do).

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhinelandbakery: Thanks for the information, I for one will be looking for your items on the west side! Westborn market or Hillers, perhaps?
I believe both stores carried Burghardts and Westborn Market carried Chamberlain.

Rheinlandbakery

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning!
Thanks for making me feel so welcome !To answer some questions, no, at the moment our products are only available in our storefront. Because of the flour situation(such high prices)it is really hard to get in with any stores.We inquired at whole foods in Rochester for example ,they really liked our bread but they need to make 50% on our items and we just can't afford that.
Rrl,we are so small right now that we will not be making any new items ( that includes the Laugenbroetchen or Laugenbrezl...even though we have a nice recipe for those...)
Thanks for your interest everyone and have a great day!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 972
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Understandable that you wish to limit your bread choices at this point, but, I'm putting in my request early for Laugenbroetchen anyway. Hopefully with a little gentle prodding you'll reconsider. :-)
Consider this; no one else in this area seems to make this product, therefore you've got a perfect market niche to set yourself apart from the other bread bakers in town. Just a thought.

Rheinlandbakery

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi again,
Rrl, it's not that we don't want to make them but we are running out of space in our small facility. ( We would need a tub for the lye etc.) I will definately remember your request in case we decide to make those rolls at some point.Thanks so much for your suggestion

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5449
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was another thread on here about a bakery closing shop not long ago. A few hardliners on here refused to blame high flour prices.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember as a child in the 70's Burghardt's would deliver bread to my Grandparents house on Waltham off Six Mile. We would be served Schmaltz und Brot as a day snack which was Burghardt's sliced thick (Grandmother never bought the sliced) and a bacon fat spread which she collected and stored in a small crock in the fridge. With that and few sticks of Landjager from Krautner's deli around the corner on Six Mile, my brother and I were happy as could be.
No wonder I had to shop in the Husky section... :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 6954
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you mentioned Krautner's... Krawlspace. They are distant relatives of my brother-in-law. The older Krautners have passed, but Steve and Maria are still alive and kicking.

I was never a big fan of Landjagers, but I too had Schmaltzbrot as a kid.

Rheinlandbakery... I'm sending my brother and sister (separately) to get some Brötchen on Saturday (noonish). Will they need to make prior reservations for them, or will you have plenty on hand?

Also, another taste treat is the Kipferl (Cresent shaped rolls glazed with salt and Caraway seeds). If you ever add to your inventory, the Austrian Kipferl would be a tasty addition.

Rheinlandbakery

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, we are usually out of rolls by 11:00 am. Please email me and let me know what they would like and how many and i will gladly hold them for your brother and sister.My email is:
info@rheinlandbakedgoods.com

I will put the idea of making Kipferl in my "to do" list. Thanks again !

(Message edited by rheinlandbakery on June 05, 2008)

Detroitnative
Username: Detroitnative

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say it was a sad day when I received the news. I always made sure to bring a loaf back to Virginia with me whenever I made the trip. They make a sourdough rye down here, but it's not the same. Hail to the Burghardt's

Gistok

Post Number: 6955
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who have never had a Kipferl (Austrian Crescent Roll), those Caraway seed encrusted tasty rolls were first introduced in Vienna in 1683.

A baker in Vienna that year made the rolls as a slight against the Muslim Turks who made it as far as the walls of Vienna in 1683 (the farthest Muslim inroad into eastern Europe) before they were beaten and repelled by Field Marshall Prince Eugene (in German pronounced "Oy-Gain").

So for over 300 years Austrians have been indirectly celebrating this victory with a symbol of the Muslim crescent via the Kipferl.

As for Prince Eugene... a grateful nation built him the opulent Upper and Lower Belvedere Palace in Vienna... where Walter Cronkite and the Viennese dancers always show off the palace during his PBS "New Year in Vienna" show.

Sorry for going off on a tanget....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.