Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 'Urban Jungle' on Cadillac Square no more « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 898
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm happy to see it go. I snapped a pic of it this morning.

http://i28.tinypic.com/ztv0w.j pg

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where will everyone drink and smoke weed now?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capitol Park.

Rax

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capitol Park? I thought that was being miraculously fixed by the presence of the Book Cadillac?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now THAT'S a good one Rax, you had me going for a second.

Besides, they still have Cass Park.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on June 03, 2008)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are they doing to this space?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 451
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Landscaping.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because the sheriff now does security for DDOT, you occasionally see deputies at Capitol Park, so it's not quite as wild as it used to be, but it's still not a place I'd hang with the kids at.

By the way, if you're one of the panhandlers at Capitol Park, let me ask you something: can't you think of a better place to hit people up for money than at the bus station? You figure somehow we got money, even though we're taking the bus? Just wondering.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 452
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're at the bus depot, your story about how you need 'just 41 cents, only 41 cents man' to get on the bus has the credibility level pushed up 1/2 notch.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw some "residents" of the area expressing outrage that they were landscaping when I was down there this morning, kind of funny listening to them.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 665
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What used to be there other than landscaping?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 684
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thick, dense bushes and homeless people, mostly.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought there were some rickety-looking benches there as well.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now we play petanque there. In the afternoons. 12-1pm during the workweek.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rickety wooden benches were also "exhumed."

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city's intent is to make it a "dog friendly" area. Watch this forum for more details!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a great place to have a B-B-Q now!

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a panhandler ask me for money at a bus stop on Larned. All I had was my bus pass...literally NO money in my purse other than a few loose pennies in the bottom. When I showed him my bus pass and told him I had no money, he got right in my face with his yellow tooth stubs and then pushed me into the street right in front of a bus. Fast action by the bus driver is all that saved my life!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Maybe you need not come in the city. First some natives pull guns out on you when you entered your old neighborhood and now you have people randomly pushing you in front of buses. Detroit just aint the place for you.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The panhandler incident happened a number of years ago when I worked downtown. Now I don't even live in the state, but still have an interest in Detroit, especially the old buildings and my old stomping grounds. I'm just a gray haired old lady...not really grumpy, lol. I also got pinched on the butt by another panhandler who walked behind me while I waited to cross Michigan Avenue. By the time I spun around he was running down the street cackling like a crazed chicken, lol.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpyoldlady: I'm so sorry you've had such terrible experiences with the riff-raff around.

When it's a busy, respectable and profit making area, you'd better believe none of that cr*p would be tolerated.

Thank you for caring about the city. So many people (even my own parents, who lived most of their lives on the east side) would just as soon see it rot.

Keep the faith and stay away from Michigan Avenue (at least on foot) until property values go up and the crazy chickens self-evict. Want you to stay safe. (You carry weaponry, I hope!)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 669
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Avenue? Is Michigan Avenue in the the CBD and Corktown really that bad? It doesn't look great, but I hardly think it is bad enough to avoid. How are property values going to improve if everyone just avoids the area? Am I the only one who sees the flawed logic in that?

As far as panhandlers go, if they are asking for an odd amount (say 41 cents instead of 50 cents), then I would bet that they are asking for drug related purposes. Who else would ask for 41 cents?

Rax

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 41 cents is the exact remaining amount needed for a half pint of 5 O'Clock. The dopeman isn't worried about 41 cents, trust me.

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_detroit,

I once again Congratulate you on your optimism—we really need more people who are as committed and concerned as you are. It will be interesting to read your posts in a few years. In the future I would try to avoid saying such things as, "I am the only," it is just as bad as saying "never." Always remember, you are not the first one to experience these things, and you will not be the last. As a friend of mine has always said, "you have to be a little cynical and a little sarcastic to live in this town." You also have to fight everyday to NOT become bitter—it is hard to do, believe me. On that note I can comfortably say that I don't think I could ever live anywhere else.

paz, pace, paix!

-The one that knows you post a lot.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 656
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The dopeman isn't worried about 41 cents, trust me.

"The dopeman don't take nickels" was one of the first lessons I learned doing business in Detroit. Never, ever exchange a solid dollar for change.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds - I actually remember that lesson being taught to a couple of others as well. "What they don't teach you at Harvard Business School..."

And for all of those who say Dds never offers anything -- just take a look at the brilliant insight he just provided.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.