Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fieger not guilty on all counts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4428
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a little afraid of what this is going to do to his ego.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=9fadef5d-278a -492b-8ae0-55ce7e7e40fd

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is so awesome.

He has played fast and loose with the rules for years and has yet to be stuck with anything. I admire his ability to weasel out of the biggest jams, and to only gain more fame and notoriety because of it.

His gift comes not from being able to argue the law, but being able to convince the jurors that prosecution would be unjust.

I can’t believe that he got out of this one.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I can’t believe that he got out of this one"

Oh I can.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So can I. He is so slippery that it's awesome. And he had the best defense attorney in the country

Lilpup

Post Number: 4429
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Coleman Young

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 780
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean we won't see any more of his silly TV ads? I hope so.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope I get such ignorant jurors if I'm ever convicted of such a blatant crime!

Great news for anyone that wants to "get around" the campaign finance laws!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 512
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bit of a threadjack, but for a guy who helped others with their demise and was supposed to be nearing his own, Dr. Kevorkian sure knows how to hang around. How's the congressional run going? Maybe Fieger will be his campaign mgr.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one will ever go broke underestimating the intelligence of an American jury.

If he didn't think it was illegal, why didn't his law firm just donate the money directly rather than thru straw men?

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was what he did illegal? Probably.

But the jurors are not stupid, perhaps they found the proportionality of the punishment to not fit the crime?

Maybe they reacted to the supposed injustice of seeing 50 agents storm a small law firm.

Either way, there are political undertones to this prosecution. Fieger played the hand that he was dealt masterfully.

If I were in trouble and could afford him, I'd hire him in a second.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4430
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If he didn't think it was illegal, why didn't his law firm just donate the money directly rather than thru straw men?"

This was the point of argument. It is illegal to donate directly. He didn't do that.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 6343
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I hope I get such ignorant jurors"

sorry, the jurors were anything but - this was such an open-and-shut BS case i'm shocked that the judge let it go to trial.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow- looks like Team Bush was about as effective at this as they were getting Osama Bin Laden. Maybe someday Bushco will go after real problems-

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Who would have known that this was merely a political prosecution on the part of Dubya's loyal, yes-men federal prosecutors?

Oh.........I guess I did.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the publicly listed political donations for the executives of many if not most big corporation, drug companies, public utilities, etc. What you will see is many if not all of the top executives and their spouses contributing the max amount every time. Only the truly naive would believe that these people are doing this for "free," out of their own pockets and are not being reimbursed one way or another. I think the jury understood that. This jury was not naive and did its job properly.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another waste of government money. The jury could
tell the prosecution was on a witch hunt.
Fieger might be a jerk but they weren't asked to convict him of that.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup: So it's illegal for the firm to contribute that much money directly but legal to do it indirectly, by deception and subterfuge, as Fieger did?

You're good jury fodder.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4440
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say I agree with it, but Fieger's team successfully argued the case.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6020
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that I agree with the verdict, but there is no moral equivalency, there, Sstashmoo.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they found him not guilty of some gray area law.Good for him,the feds shouldn't waste our money on such bs.But giving this cash to John Edwards?Johnny hairdo?What an empty suit.I laugh every time I see those Kerry/Edwards bumper stickers on vehicles.Can't we get someone better to run?Kerry,Bush,Edwards,Jenny,K K and Devos!Now B.H.O,please don't give these fools our hard earned money,ok Fieger?Don't ask for any of my cash,I'd rather work somewhere else.Sorry about the rant..stayed up to watch the Wings....

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he is guilty of one very serious crime though ... growing a mullet after the 1980s.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.