Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fire in Houston disrupts DetroitYES « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4827
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Late Saturday afternoon, May 31 an explosion and fire in internet hosting giant ThePlanet’s power supply and back up generators unit took offline 9000 internet servers along with several hundred thousand websites hosted on those servers.

This server that, hosts detroityes.com, soulfuldetroit.com and several other websites, was among those websites that gradually went down. DetroitYES DNS remain up intermittently until Sunday morning, June 1. I noticed it was down the previous night on our EarthLink cable connection, but was still coming in via our ATT DSL and cell phone internet connections. By Sunday AM all were gone.

The actual hosting web servers were unaffected; so this website and forum was left intact. However power was lost to thePlanet’s Domain Name Servers [DNS servers] which were knocked off line. DNS servers are the ‘telephone directories’ of the internet. This means that when one entered this domain name in a web browser or clicked a saved ‘Favorite’ link, it could no be found. The site was there, it just couldn’t be found.

Since the DNS servers had to be moved the domain names they handle had to be repropagated across the internet, meaning the site will be visible once the DNS server that serves you is updated. Our ATT/Yahoo server is back allowing this post.

News articles at:

http://news.google.com/news?so urceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8 &rls=GWYA,GWYA:2005-32,GWYA:en &q=the+planet+houston+fire

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5474
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, should this happen again, is there an alternate URL bypassing the DNS? I tried http://67.15.8.65/ but that complains about a security certificate.

It's always nice to have a Plan B. :-)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 864
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds you how fragile the internet actually is, doesn't it? One point of relatively minor as far as infrastructure goes (one electrical explosion) and thousands of sites... gone.

Another DNS wouldn't of helped - apparently, the boxes holding the information itself went dark. So it'd like having two roads to nowhere instead of one.

(Message edited by digitalvision on June 01, 2008)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6917
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Lowell... I tried getting online earlier and noticed that it was not accessible. Glad we're back online.... also noticed that someone "else" still isn't! :-)

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least you're back up now. This is one of the best sites on the net.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite my nearly paralyzing case of anxiety, which included feelings of despair, disorientation, dread, helplessness, abandonment, and alienation, I somehow managed to find other things to do.
But it was kind of touch-and-go, for a while there.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was really traumatic. I almost had to go read a book.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's nothing. I had to actually spend time with my wife! :-)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 631
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I finally got around to signing up on some other message boards that were not down (Techno Miltia and Rap Basement), some more local message boards. It's interesting that those boards attract so many fans from over seas. And they all say such nice things about Detroit. I know DYES has one for Motown.

It just so happened at the time of day I was sending out a bunch of E-mails. I'm wordy and they all didn't make it to their destinations. Whole lot-ta work for nothing. LOL!

I should have saved them with the draft option (yahoo), but didn't.

Yeah, always good to have a plan "B".

One of my sites went down. Would you believe I just finished it and got it up? I always keep my plan B's suspended on the Internet. Guess I'll have to change my way of doing things... I was not aware of how sensitive the net was. I keep hard copies to, but those aren't always exactly up to date.

Little extra work will have to be done from now on. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of attention.

LOL... sign of the times.

The girly and her friend and I went up and rented "Mario Party". Digital board game. It was fun.... I guess. Bored games got their name for a reason I think... :-)

Her Mother just got a new flat screen TV. It was a promotion in the store, you filed out a form that made you eligible for a free Nintendo Wii. She won, and perfect timing. She didn't want it so she gave it to us Her reasoning was just another excuse to visit. :-)

Does anyone else on here have Wii? It can hook up via wireless connection to the Internet. Then you can just play others out in Internet Land... :-)

I love technology! Let's keep Detroit up with the times, maybe we could even sneak ahead? :-)

The city of tomorrow....

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 645
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Glad we're back online.... also noticed that someone "else" still isn't!

For someone who complains about how evil they are, you sure do check up on them, don't you?

quote:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of attention

Actually, Franklin wrote "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 670
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wheres Gannon? anyone seen him? is he okay? did he make it through?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4828
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, the site can be viewed via http://67.15.8.65/detroityes.c om which bypasses the DNS servers. However the board will not work using that [if DNS is down] because it writes absolute links [the full http address] which reference the domain names, which requires a DNS server to tranlate the name back into IP numbers.

Detroitman32
Username: Detroitman32

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, could you possibly increase the amount of posts in a section before it's archived?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6552
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba reporting in from the Far Westside. Ravine #2321 has it exactly. jjaba is now canceling appointment with psychiatrist over the trauma.

jjaba, oy veyesmere.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6919
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Dds, that's 2 criticisms in 1 post... are you always so cranky?

Obviously you don't know the nuances of Schadenfreude...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5477
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Lowell. It's always interesting to learn something about what happens "under the hood."

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see that everyone (and the site) is back, My first thought when I seen the blank page the other day, was SuperSport's link on the "Unspoken thread". I started wondering who it was here that messed it up for all of us? lol

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Houston?

tsk tsk

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should host this site in a bunker under woodward powered by a generator fed by stream from the incinerator. (Or someplace close to some dark fiber)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Lowell. I was worried for awhile.

Eastburn
Username: Eastburn

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just figured that KK finally figured out how to shut us down.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that someone had DDOSed the website Sunday afternoon.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I was going through withdrawl

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.