Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Red Bull Air Race Photos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who couldn't go or for those who where there... enjoy.

http://www.detroitstockphotos. com/Production/PhotoGroupView. aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=1662436 5

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More photos from AiW's site: http://www.internationalmetrop olis.com/

Someone may wish to post the permanent link.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 667
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a wedding to attend this weekend so I missed everything. I heard a helicopter was doing stunts in SanDiego, did a loop. anything like that happen here this weekend? just curious.

Django

Post Number: 668
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The helicopters flew the course a coupe of times. Very cool

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the helicopter was there. I never thought a helicopter could do that.

Django

Post Number: 669
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so it did an actuall loop?

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it made loops, a bunch of times. Amazing!

Django

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW, wish I could have seen that.
Thanks

Sl8roof
Username: Sl8roof

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best sight of all was the huge crowds of people all the way along the riverfront! And the armada of boats out on the water as well!

Django

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I was told the river would be closed down, so there wouldnt have been any sense in trying to boat there. I passed that along to a couple of boaters.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, those loops were insane. It reminded me of Airwolf!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2391
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many thanks to you two for putting on the great pictures of the races.
AIW--special thanks for the plug featuring the Yankee Air Museum's B-25 Mitchell. She's a beautifully restored bird.
You are correct in saying Museum, rather than Air Force, as Yankee is now called the YAM rather than the YAF. At least that's what our publication (Hanger Happenings)says.
However, it should be noted that the caption states the Warrior is only one of two still flying, whereas there are still a fair number of B-25 Mitchells taking to the skies. We had about 8 of them at the Thunder Over Michigan air show a few years ago. It's your beloved Lancaster that is short in numbers.
Keep 'em flying.

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Earn $100 if you attended the Red Bull Races.
If you are between 15 and 27 and drink energy drinks and attended the Red Bull Race, you might be interested in participating in a focus group or one on one interview.
Call 1-866-430-0031
The company is Shifrin-Hayworth, 20300 Civic Center Drive, Suite 207, Southfield, Michigan

I have been to many focus groups with the company, one was for the Governors election (Devos/Granholm) I got paid cash $75.00.
Just passing this info on, because I am older than 27.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the F18 in these pictures actually break the sound barrier? (the caption says it was only near supersonic) There was a tremendous boom when it flew over Belle Isle yesterday. I've been to Selfridge plenty of times but never heard anything like it.

Sg_creative
Username: Sg_creative

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It did not break the sound barrier. It was like a few Mph under. They said, over the PA, that if it did... all the windows in the Ren Cen would shatter. I believe it... I know that is super loud and it was so close.

All in all I would say that those two days were amazing and I hope Detroit has the races again next year.

-Steve

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8890
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shots! But I couldn't help notice that God favoured the Canadian with the lighting on the planes! :-)

I happened to meet the Director responsible for the Official films for Red Bull sitting in Beaubien St. Saloon.

Since another friend who earns his living as a Lighting Tech was with me, it was an amazing conversation about the business, started by a comment by a non-techie about how we cheat to make images more thrilling than in real life.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slightly off topic.. looking at AIW's pics of the air show, I scrolled down to the pics below that and thought that I was looking at a miniature model of something. I scrolled a little further and saw that it is an actual effect you can apply to a pic to make it appear that way.. very cool.

The GM building looks pretty awesome with all the graphics on it.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few of mine.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6648
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock - Thanks for clearing that up about the B-25. That's what I get for trusting Wikipedia.

Atl - If you google "Tilt Shift Miniatures" you'll find out all about that technique.

Ndavies

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some more

Ndavies

Post Number: 3001
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone get a pic of the sonic boom?

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some from Friday...

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the last few...

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures everyone! Thanks

I just showed them to the Mrs. and she said she didn't think it was the same as being there, even after I went Brrrrrrrrrmmmmm after each each one. :-)

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Damn, I was told the river would be closed down, so there wouldnt have been any sense in trying to boat there. I passed that along to a couple of boaters.

The river was closed only for 11-5pm Sun, and for 12-til they were cancelled Sat, in a 3.8 mile stretch to all traffic, but outside of that there was nothing. A ton of boats anchored just outside of the boundaries at Chene park for the show as well as on the other side of the course. That's pretty bad you were passing along incorrect information to people without first properly verifying it...

We stayed at the marina there at St. Aubin(Tri-Cent.Park) all weekend, it was crazy fun.

Ndavies, were you sitting right on that big hill just next to the Park?

Islandman

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monahan,

We were in Tricentennial Park on Sunday as well. That hill was packed, so we decided against it.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which row were you guys docked at in the marina, Islandman? Thats so funny! :-) Did you guys like it there? I thought it was a pretty neat place. Yeah the hill was slammed, but lots of fun too. I guess it is a part of the park one of the security guys there said. There were already people setting up their spots up top @ like 8am Sunday when I took my dog out, lol.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 569
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the pylons in the river. They should keep them there year round. Keep the freighter captains on their toes.

Ndavies

Post Number: 3002
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I was on top of the toxic dirt hill. I scoped it out the week before and found myself a prime spot right on the top. It wasn't too crowded. Plenty of personal space.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 541
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gradually getting all of my photos up.

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.c om/

Islandman

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monahan,

We were right next to the marina (between the hill and the marina). A friend of mine was bumped from the marina since they overbooked that weekend, so the boat was a no go.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.