Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Shop Local This Week! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read the following:

For every $100 a consumer spends...

Local businesses give $68 back to their local economy.

Chain stores only give back $43.

Some places to spend your money this week:
Mezzanine
Bureau of Urban Living
Sole Sisters
Ladels Children's Bookstore
The Wheelhouse
R. Hirt
Raffal Spice
Zucarros

Where will YOU spend your local/indy dollars this week?

DO IT!

(Message edited by blondy on June 01, 2008)

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always find that statistic from the chicago study so interesting in light of the whole "buy american" fascism around here. I looking forward to buying an american-made (hopefully michigan-made) car next time I need one, but when you go to the suburbs, you see that so many of the SUV-drivin' buy-american bumper sticker nutjobs are perfectly content to throw away their "local" dollars at lame national chain restaurants and big chain stores. these businesses do little for the local economy other than provide menial jobs and suck business away from local companies that do reinvest in the community.

I really wish just a few more of these "buy american" types would realize that supporting the local economy doesn't begin and end with the gas guzzling car you drive.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 870
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Blondy

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 785
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive found the local stores are much more expensive than shopping in the big chains. We live in a very individualistic society and have to do what is best for ME! Wages are down and the cost of living is up! I learned (the hard way) to shop at Salvation Army; Value World: end of season sales (Bachrachs and Banana Republic), believe it or not, in Somerset Mall have some great deals. Where is the small business owners for fair wages and workers rights political action groups? Job went over seas? Health insurance going up up up? Thats the way the market works-too bad! Oh well.

Local businesses not to support:

Library book store in Ferndale: Some of the prices are reasonable, but you have to spend a certain amount to use the card, discounts for bulk orders are tiny; try selling a book for a fair and reasonable price: Barnes and Noble in Rochester used to pay well for used books. Also there is no public restroom and a very harsh sign reminding the customers of the fact. The owner got real snappy with me when I asked to use it(Ive spent a small fortune there)she seems psychotic at times.

The Record collector in Ferndale: next to the Thai place. The owner and one of his helpers are always unfriendly and glum. Overpriced.

Comos: Pizza is reasonable but the portions are small. Salad is seperate. Lot of stuck up gays and hetero women. Very pretentious place. The only item besides the Pizza that is decent is the Ribeye steak sandwhich for price, quality, and quantity.

Time Travelers in Berkely: On the surface the owner is a jolly giant. In reality he is a loud mouthed egotistical jerk that talks down on and about his customers. Pays squat for collcetibles.He is very arrogant.He knows it all, everyone else knows little to nothing about a comics value. Big blowhard. High prices.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa, oakland county hater twelve o'clock! lol

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"whoa, oakland county hater twelve o'clock! lol"

Who doesn't hate Oakland County?

Oh yes, Oakland County :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shop local every day!

Please remember that buying stuff like Faygo Pop, Better Made Chips, and Sanders candies pumps more money into our local economy than say purchasing Pepsi, Lays and M&M's.

Don't forget to look at the labels on where other foods are made too. Support dairies, and ceral companies in our state.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 410
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Comos: Pizza is reasonable but the portions are small. Salad is seperate. Lot of stuck up gays and hetero women. Very pretentious place. The only item besides the Pizza that is decent is the Ribeye steak sandwhich for price, quality, and quantity.

I agree with you on Como's there. I don't know what the hype is all about with that place. The two times I've tried to eat there, the wait staff basically pretended like we weren't there, unless waiting at least 20 minutes to even get a drink after being seated is normal. We had to get up and leave both times. I'll never go back. I've had their overpriced pizza once (carry out) and it was nothing spectacular.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree that local stores are more expensive. I think it is a mixed bag, with some being more expensive and others not.

I just did my gardening this weekend, and to be honest, everyone always says "go to the big box stores". Well guess what? The big box multinational chains had plants for $2.40 a box.
I went to a local family run garden centre not far from my house, and guess what? Plants were .99 a box. The chains had .99 cent plants last year, but really jacked it up this year.

People to often assume that the chains have cheaper prices and are there to offer you a good deal. But if the chains are the only thing left, then they have no reason to offer you a good price.
I support local when I can.
I wish local clothing stores could be a little cheaper. They are the only ones I find that charge much higher prices on some things. Although there stuff is more designer though.

(Message edited by miketoronto on June 02, 2008)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's good that we also mention business NOT to support as well as those we should. However, unless there are other documented cases like we have above, I wouldn't be so fast to take one person's experience as the gospel and boycott the place etc. We often take what someone says as gold and not do our own research which is pretty damn lazy. But the situation above is a good example, one person mentioned a bad experience and someone co-signed it and now we have validation.

It's important to share the good and bad experiences in a very unbiased way. You never know who uses your words and thoughts as the golden rule for how they will interact with something. It's the same thing as the news, take it in one hand, and do your own research as well and draw an average.

Good thread Liz

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 882
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't even listen to five people sometimes. I stayed at a little local hotel, and according to online reviews, it was a hellish place. I went, and it was just fine, and actually was renovated.
So you sometimes have to watch with what people say.
Sometimes they embelish bad experiences.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When visiting Detroit I try to make purchases to support the local economy. Blondy's store list is helpful. I usually end up buying something to wear in Ferndale/Royal Oak/Birmingham (search in this order) because I'm not updated on where else to go and my shopping isn't the main reason for my visit.

My next visit, in a couple weeks, I will definitely check out Sole Sisters! Where else is the fun shopping for fashion?

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 957
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice post Viziondetroit... Voice of reason is always good.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 958
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lnfant,
welcome...

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Comos: Lot of stuck up gays and hetero women. Very pretentious place"

Sounds like someone struck out several times at Como's and is a little bitter about it.... =)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @Ferntruth. It was more the vibe than anything. I did have one good convo with a lady at the bar,(Im a square now, ordered a pop or juice cant remember)but overall the body language and demeanors are very Birminghamish and Rochesterish.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great post, Blondy.

Here's some more local businesses to support:

1. Mexicantown restaurants. they're hurting due to the giant mess, i mean, construction on 75 at the bridge. I was there the other day and there was NO ONE there for lunch. They're having to lay people off. The food is good and worth the detour. Even better, check out Mi Pueblo on Dix and Los Altos on Vernor. I recommend the tacos al pastor (pork).

2. While you're down there, check out Honey Bee La Colmena store to get some locally made Mexican goodies -- La Michoacana, Hacienda, Auntie Mid's -- all Detroit food producers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.