Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Gate needed to deter thieves--recommendations? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I want an iron gate, at least six feet tall, to cut off access to our backyard from our driveway. This comes after someone broke into our garage last night and stole our lawn mower, snow blower, electric trimmer, etc. Can anyone out there give me a referral for people who will install iron gates and, more importantly, do good work at a reasonable price? We already visited House of Wrought Iron and are looking for other estimates. Also, anyone have a motorized gate? They obviously must be a real convenience, but how much will one cost and are they reliable?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8882
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be interested in your findings. I just bought a home that has a 2 1/2 car detached garage, but only has an 1 car garage door, it's insulated, panelled, has a heater, running water (including a 1/2 bath) and great electrical.

Simply perfect for the woodshop I've always wanted, but I want to make sure it is secure.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3203
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading recent posts like this makes me awfully glad I moved to Henderson, NV. No crime at all in my area. Yard is full of little figurines, bench, and a milk can painted white with the Red Wings logo on it. Not a problem at all.

I feel for you, chris. Wish you could have nailed the bastards.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a dumb comment Ray.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 468
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Because no one out in Nevada wants that stuff.

Lawn mower, snow blower, and electric trimmer yes.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe a good alarm system, and better doors and locks on the garage. Or a big mean dog that won't take food from strangers. Bottom line is that it is very hard to stop someone who wants your stuff...you can slow them down, and do things to draw attention to your home if they try, but aside from someone being awake and armed 24 hours a day, it is a losing battle in Detroit and many other urban areas. Very sad.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2728
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've used Scott Iron Works on John R in Hazel Park for an entry door. I know their main business is fences and gates and they do a lot of work in Detroit. Good luck.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 613
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is obvious... but make sure you guys remember to keep your eyes out on the streets for each other this Summer. Make a point to join neighborhood watch groups, and utilize outdoor facilities and porches when convenient.

Sorry, just my little soap box PSA. I'm not telling anyone to not mind their own business, just reminding to look out for each other. :-)

Also, be sure to report you decisions and findings.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on June 01, 2008)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, you often "brag" about how much better the desert is compared to Detroit, but I don't often see people appreciating the commentary.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 621
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's mad because he thinks we are more Western than him... even though were not.

Kidding :-)

Ray, hope your happy out there in the Wild West. But, the benefits outweigh the risks. You are not going to convince us Detroiters otherwise. Maybe people from other parts of the state, but not many here. It's like trying to convince someone that new car they bought and love (and just sunk a bunch of money into) that it was a horrible idea. The choice has been made. Even if we are wrong, we don't need people constantly telling us "I told you so". It's just mean gloating if true, and stupidity if wrong. We don't need the smugness, no offence.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on June 01, 2008)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not what you asked, but have you considered simply adding a hasp & padlock to your garage door? It won't be any more inconvenient for you than dealing with a gate will be, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper. Besides, adding a six foot gate only protects that entry point..unless you're willing to enclose your whole yard in a six foot security fence, all a gate will do is help to hide what's going on behind it from the street & potential witnesses, giving crooks an easier time.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 625
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, gates only work with a lot of space in between them and the house.

Your better off getting a really secure system that is watched, then also have a giant mouse trap where all your valuables are kept. That's for those really determined ones who still try.

They can get in but not out is a good strategy. You could also tag em.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of years ago a druggie beat in my old back door at 3:00 in the morning. I was home and in bed when it started. I have to say that I was like a fly in a spiderweb, paralyzed and mute. Finally I took my old crippled dog and ran out the front door to my car and (trembling) tried to call a friend who is a police officer - I never even thought of 911! So, I guess that i'm not good in emergencies! By the way, the guy did get in the house, but a neighbor began turning on his floodlights and racking his rifle and the guy ran.

Later a neighbor walked around with me and I was embarrassed to learn that
1: my alley gate was not padlocked
2. I had an iron lawn edger outside and that was the tool
3. I had a floodlight, but it was not a motion sensor and it was not on.

So, I learned my lesson. I had a steel door installed (I needed a draft-free door anyway), I always lock my alley gate and I trained a thorny rose climber across the top rail of the fence and gate; I put in a motion-sensor floodlight and I put all tools away, no matter how inconvenient. I got a new dog when my old guy died.

So far, so good.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 671
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the metalshop on Mack, north side of the street, second corner east from Mt Elliot (Bufait st. or something close to that). Ask for Jason. Good man and he will definately point you in the right direction if he cant do it himself. Hes more of an artist, so hes not gonna be your cheapest bid. Hell know where to go though. Ring the buzzer a few times. they dont always anwser the first. Sorry I dont have his number, phone broke, lost all my numbers.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My wife and I want an iron gate, at least six feet tall, to cut off access to our backyard from our driveway.

Whatever gate you end up deciding on (wood, iron, stone) plant thorny roses along the fence on the inside of your yard. They will look pretty and hurt anyone who jumps your fence.

quote:

Yard is full of little figurines, bench, and a milk can painted white with the Red Wings logo on it. Not a problem at all.

Thats like saying, my yard is full of crap, and nobody has taken it, so there must be no crime. Maybe nobody wants your stuff.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Casey Fence

7660 Dix St
Detroit, MI 48209
(313) 841-5290

We have them do all out fencing. Chain link, aluminum and iron. Good people, excellent work and decent price.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5115
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting an alarm system is useless when the cops don't respond to the call.

Try the guy that Django mentioned or...
Diseños Ornamental Iron. 2701 Bagley Ave. (313) 961-6966.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iron cages, poor police presence, stolen tools and yard equipment. Sounds pretty desireable.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It reminds me of the illegal farms in South America. They put large barbed metal spikes in the ground among the crops to prevent people from coming in from the air.

You could put some among the plants along your fence, but you might get in trouble when the police find out about the burglar-kabob in your backyard. :-)

Django

Post Number: 677
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Jamaicans would lay a thin layer of mortar on top of their brick and stone walls then place shards of broken glass into the mortar to set, creating a cheap deterent.

I would have jumped all over this job EastsideC, But I dont have a welder anymore. If you wanted to spend a grand plus materials, I might be willing to rent some shoptime at my friend jasons. You van check out some of my stuff at www.mldavis.com click on metal. Theres a security door I did for a friend there.

Sorry about the shameless advertising folks.

(Message edited by django on June 02, 2008)

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No names or phone #'s but I do notice a lot of ornamental iron / fences in the Latin American areas around Mexicantown/ SW Detroit. Some of it mixes artsy with functionality.

Eastsidechris

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to know that you must live in Pleasantville, Rax, if there are no fences whatsoever and nothing is ever stolen.

Now, back to reality.
We do have an 8 foot tall fence around the perimeter of our backyard and we're currently growing very thorny roses in front of our large office window, which is at the rear of the house.

We're not really looking for anything fancy or really ornamental, just a nice solid iron gate with spike-like things at the top to pose a threat to the testicle region should anyone get the gumption to climb over a 6 foot gate like this. :-)

A dog is out of the question, because my wife doesn't like them and it wouldn't be fair to one because so much of our backyard is now garden space.

Ray, I wish I would have been there to catch the perp in the act! By the way, henderson isn't quite as crime-free as you've portrayed it to be (see the stats at http://hendersonnv.areaconnect .com/crime1.htm) but still under the national rates...although comparing the 2006 theft rate in Henderson to Detroit, it actually isn't all that much less per 10,000 people.

In the meantime, it's an inconvenience, but I'll keep the lawn equipment and mower in my basement--I found out this is what the neighborhood lawn dude/handyman does with his stuff.

Thanks for the all the suggestions, and please keep those referrals coming!

Rax

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Eastsidechris, I unfortunately live in Detroit. Just not where you live.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Ray's yard:

Django

Post Number: 680
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately????

Rax

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, unfortunately. Being born in Chicago would have been a lot cooler.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, My D-Yes name states My position on all this.

Eastsidechris

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, thanks for the link to your metal work. Cool stuff, and like you said, on the artistic side of things (that's a one of a kind security door you made!). We're still researching iron gate makers, so you may hear back from me in a week or two.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.