Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Singing Sam's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a question from my Mom. Does anyone remember a resturant/pizza joint named Singing Sam's? She believes it was on 8 Mile. The time frame is the 1960's.

I tried the Search feature but it does not appear to work.

Ookpik

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was there Ookpik, north side of 8 Mile, near Hamburg I think (but not west of Hoover). It was one of the few places that my parents and I ever went out to dinner.

I remember that it burned down a couple of times and came back bigger and better than the predecessor (imagine that). Sam would occasionally walk around the restaurant playing his accordian and singing.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the first time we went there. I was about 8 and I asked my parents how I'd know when we got there. They said, "you can't miss it." They were right. I remember all the lights around the restaurant. After it closed, it was like an empty hole on 8 Mile.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Italian Singing Sams" Used to give a free dinner to the winner of the feature race at the old Motor City Speedway on Eight and Scheoner.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.