Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Any abandon airplane hangars in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is random but is there any abandon airplane hangars in Detroit at all? friend and i want to know so we can do some photography.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound, did you try and contact the people at CYI?

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/De partments/Airport/SpaceforLeas e/tabid/556/Default.aspx

I can't think of any that are "abandoned" in Detroit, but the above link is a place to start. There may be some in the outlying areas, but I have know idea where to look. Good luck, and if you guys find what you are looking for, post some of the pics.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...check out the south end of City Airport..I remember seeing one or two last year while driving around outside of the airport. Wish I could be more specific.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Detroit but Grosse Ile Airport might have one.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2246
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those hangars at CYI aren't "abandoned" in the since, rather th planes stored there are hardly used.

Umbound

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend that goes to CCS for photography and i do it as a hobby, but we really want to take some pics of airplane hangars. there was another place in the state he and i heard of but cant remember where? anybody know?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7992
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there once an airstrip (maybe not hangars) up in the Romeo area at one point?

Or what about Willow Run or Pontiac Airports? I know they're still being used but depending on the time of day or if the hangar's not occupied- it might be worthwhile asking them.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7993
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know anything about the Windsor Airport? That could be another possibility within driving distance. Maybe???

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6645
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if you understand how hangars work.

They are on airports, and they are generally secure as they open into the airfield.

The chance of you guys getting into one to do anything is very slim.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AiW, brings up an interesting point. Young Arab guy taking pictures at an airport, hmmm.

One idea, is the Yankee Air Force, they give tours.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 534
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was curious where the term "hangar" came from. Interesting story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H angar

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriveria, the word is self-explanatory...:-)

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salem used to have an airport. The landfill was nearby and they limited the height that the landfill could be because of the airport (seagulls colliding with incoming small aircraft) so the landfill owners bought and closed down the airport. The hangers used to be sitting there empty or filled with hay. I think they tore them down eventually, but it might be worth looking into.

Nainrouge

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey look what I found:

http://members.tripod.com/airf ields_freeman/MI/Airfields_MI_ Detroit_NW.html

Nainrouge

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Salem's hangars are still there:

http://tinyurl.com/57l22v

Umbound

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I and my friend will go somewhere within an hour distance. And Gnome im not arab, i am chaldean. but i will check into the YAF. thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.