Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Tri-Centennial State Park loses out on $$ « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm down at Rivard Plaza right now and I just got done talking to the Asst. Director of security for the red bull air races. He said Tri-Centennial State Park and the Michigan DNR were offered large sums of money for the opportunity to host as many as 5K spectators for the races. Apparently they rejected the idea because they do not want large screen television boards placed in the park. This means as many as 5K people will not get to see the races.

The park is out of money as it is, along with the DNR and the State of Michigan. This is a lost opportunity to not only make some money, but to showcase the park and it''s expansion efforts.

If you ask me, this is another example of 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

ps...for those that say it would be terrible viewing, i was just there watching the practices, and it certainly is not.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So does this mean the tri centennial park is open to the public for free to view the air races?

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is free.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the community where I live, if somebody offered us money to take over one of our public parks and use it as a paid-admission venue for an event, we would turn them down cold, no matter the event. That's not why we have public parks. I agree with DNR on this.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are practicing today? What about tomorrow?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it means revenue for the park, dnr, and state of Michigan why would you be against it? Are you against renting out church facilities or public school gyms too?

These places need to raise money to keep up with the increased costs of operation. this would be a very good way to do so.

Yes, it will be free to watch from there, but the view will only be average without the help of the jumbotron. I have been told there will be tons of better free viewing along the Windsor shoreline.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 549
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll find out the rest of the story because that story doesn't smell right.

I do know that the DNR had expected this part of the park to be under construction beginning this month. DEQ permitting delays have left them months behind schedule. The DEQ will require a topsoil cap over the property due to heavy metal contamination. Permitting use of contaminated parkland doesn't sound wise to me.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6903
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, trying not to sound like a smartass, but... why would anyone want to drive all the way down there only to watch a TV screen?

Won't it be on your TV at home?

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The roar of the engines man! Don't be a square Gistok.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think that is a smart ass response at all. I think many would agree actually. I dont know about the tv coverage to be honest.

I watched some of the practice today from the lighthouse, and although the view was not the best, it was awesome because it is located near the start/finish so the planes flew very low, very close to the park. It is all part of the "once in a long time" experience. who knows if this event will ever return, and having an average view, enhanced by a screen seems better than sitting home, in my opinion.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess public entities are only there to get suckered into any deal where they're offered money with strings attached. If not, they're obviously against people using their parks.

Meh. Whatever.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I do know that the DNR had expected this part of the park to be under construction beginning this month. DEQ permitting delays have left them months behind schedule.

So construction has been delayed again?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 600
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was watching them practice today. Those pilots could do the course blindfolded! After awhile your neck hurts from looking up and down

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So construction has been delayed again?

Yes. The DNR had hoped to put this out to bid in March. The DEQ is debating how much remediation is necessary, but the DNR thinks that permitting decision is real close.

Boynamedsue
Username: Boynamedsue

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tv coverage is not live, Gistok... the Detroit race wont be airing on FOX sports until the end of July.

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they'll be charging admission to hart plaza, correct? that's a public park, no?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4399
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hart Plaza is a City of Detroit owned public space designed to host events.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People pay admission to state parks or to use city owned golf courses. People throwing a fit over a state park hosting an event for a couple days are absurd. It's not like anyone ever uses TCSP anyway.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 378
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What type of expansion is planned for the park??? I would HATE to see that park close down. I visited there twice last year by boat and it is an AWESOME place to stay. The views are great and granted there isn't much on the streets around the marina the ren cen is only a half mile away!

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

up until the 2006 electronic music festival, there never had been an event at hart plaza that charged admission. they had to get city council approval to do that ... wonder if this will become a trend. if that hadn't happened, maybe we'd all be running around the plaza with a few more dollars in our pockets this weekend!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4400
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The park is not closing down. As stated above the park will be open and free to any who wants to go down for the races. There just won't be tv screens to watch.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 540
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be surprised if there are no admission fee strings tied to some of the funds that were used to create TCSP. The goal is to have a park that's open to the public without admission fees, not a place on the river for promoters of whatever event to generate more revenue.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right Jackpot, this issue is very similar to the time when the DEMF started charging admission for their festival. The event is in Hart Plaza (a city park), which you pay for with your taxes and should be free for you to enter at any time. (Ironically this was the first year I went to DEMF) However, closing it off and charging admission for a private event is not the right mentality for a public space!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.