Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Renaissance High School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jsavic1108
Username: Jsavic1108

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are all of the graduates of Renaissance High? I graduated in 1983 and have some fond memories of my time there. Please share your thoughts and memories about the great Phoenix.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a school in the Renaissance Center? That would be so cool to go there!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 642
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renaissance High is a Phoenix University now?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no Yooper, Renaissance High was up by Mt Carmel and Sinai on Outer Drive. The original building was the old Catholic Central High. The new building is on the Site of Sinai; which became available when it merged with Mt Carmel and became Mercy Hospital.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yooper, leave us trolls alone! (joke.)

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jsavic1108,

I started a thread about six months ago called," Memories of Renaissance High School" it's in the Hall of Fame section of the website. I was a 1986 graduate.

Durango

English
Username: English

Post Number: 738
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yooper's post made me laugh! I first heard about Renaissance High School when I was 6 or 7 years old. For YEARS I thought it was in the Ren Cen, and was really excited about going there someday. Too bad the reality didn't live up to the fantasy!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"no Yooper, Renaissance High was up by Mt Carmel and Sinai on Outer Drive. The original building was the old Catholic Central High. The new building is on the Site of Sinai; which became available when it merged with Mt Carmel and became Mercy Hospital."

I thought Sinai merged with Grace (Sinai-Grace), unless Mt. Carmel is just another name for Grace.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am an old fart compared to most. It was Mt Carmel before it was Grace. Next thing you know I'm going to be talking about the DSR and SEMTA!

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe some of the old Renaissance grads can educate me but what was the reasoning for establishing the school in the first place. When you already had Cass Tech. I thought the school was not going to have sports that it would just be an academic SMALL school. Now its a school of some 1200 students with all of the sports (they do very well in most sports by the way) and it competes with Cass Tech and King (to a certain extent) for a decreasing population base of high achieving students. I think that due to the schools expansion it hurts the district because even though you have three magnet testing high schools you probably have two to many based on the student population.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Initially, it was supposed to be a College prep school, without sports. In 1981, I believe that was opposed by the parents of the students who said that it was unfair and that their children would not have a well rounded education.

I went to Renaissance for one day and ended up going to Cass on Day 2. A lot of my Cass Tech Alumni have sent there children to Renaissance. I could not be the one to kill the family tradition.

I do have a few friends that graduated RHS in 1983. You may know them Js

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to go to Renaissance so bad, but Cass Accepted me instead, and I didn't end up going there.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Skillman Foundation 2008 Good School Guide, Renaissance still falls under the High Performing Category, with MEAP scores (the lowest percentile being 84% for Science) second to only U of D. Cass performed well, although listed under Aspiring Schools. Their lowest MEAP scores were 71st percentile, science. As for King, Communicating Arts, and even Davis, outside of good MEAP scores in English, all struggle with math and science with none of them coming in above the 40th percentile except for Comm. Arts with 56 % in Science.

All this being said, in a school district with less than 100,000 students, (who'd a' thought that in 1983?) there are still really only two magnet schools pulling the dwindling number of high achieving students. Pick up a current Metro Times for the Skillman insert.

BTW, first basketball game was in the 83-84 school year. There was one game against Cass, at home. We lost. Baseball followed that spring.

(Message edited by hamtragedy on May 31, 2008)

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Class of 1987 checking in....

I think the school did better BEFORE sports came in....

And Firstandten, please understand that there are more high-achieving students in DPS than what's shown. Two magnet schools, Cass being so LARGE, research shows that SMALLER CLASS SIZES are more beneficial to the teaching/learning environment, for one.

Firstandten

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foxyscholar- I don't dispute that there are many high-achieving students in DPS, But in typical DPS fashion people forget the mission, like you said you think the school did better before they had sports. I bet if the school had no sports, had a population of about 500-600 students it would be in the top 5 to 10 high schools in the state public or private.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do agree somewhat with Foxyscholar

I notice a lot of kids get into the big 3 high schools solely on Athletics, even though their grades are horrid (and it shows throughout the school year).

I really don't think that's fair considering there's probably a more hard working student out there who could have used the spot.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 31, 2008)

Firstandten

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise- I agree with the kids getting into the big 3 H.S. based on Athletics, but I don't think that is keeping a spot from any deserving student that doesn't play athletics. There seems to be more than enough spaces in those schools.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"but I don't think that is keeping a spot from any deserving student that doesn't play athletics. There seems to be more than enough spaces in those schools."

You're right. There is enough space in the schools.

However, my point was, kids that don't desereve to be there shouldn't be there, and another child who does can occupy that spot (no matter how much space is available).

It's a matter of principle, not convenience

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 31, 2008)

Firstandten

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well at least Renaissance has student-athletes who can qualify for four year colleges based on ACT scores and their sports talent.

Looking at the rest of DPS thats saying a lot.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't think I'm saying there aren't kids who go to these schools and excel in athletes *and* academics.

It's just the few who aren't doing anything with their academics, but seem to slip by.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.