Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Homemade corn tortillas « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought i would ask hoping someone would know where i can buy some homemade corn tortillas. i can get the flour from los galanes and when i ask about corn they say it's to time consuming. please if anyone knows of someplace please post. and, i'm not interested in any from the tortilla factories. thanks in advance!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you need Mesa Harina to make your own, if that's what you mean. I saw it at the Honeybee on Bagley

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for someone else's homemade tortillas, you'll probably have to find out by word of mouth. Making your own is not too difficult, though I'd expect to go through some iteration before making some that were pretty good. Masa harina and water will start you off, though for hard-core action you can start with field corn, lime and a mill and make your own flour.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that you make a dough out of the Mesa and water, and pat it into rounds and usually press it in a tortilla press, then 'bake' it on a griddle.

Chvyracn24
Username: Chvyracn24

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of a place in Saginaw that is that has really good homemade torts its a factory that employs like 15 people at the most and they have the torts all over the state if you want the number I can give it to you. I believe they can probely ship if you want them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.