Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Funk Night This Weekend? « Previous Next »
Archive through May 30, 2008Soulhawk30 05-30-08  4:29 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm.

So last night Funk Night @ The CAID was raided.

I can't help but wonder about this thread.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

caid was raided a couple months ago for underage drinking from what i heard, i highly doubt this site was what tipped em off

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 31, 2008)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dpd is a joke...good job guys, cleaning up the streets!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

precisely why you should stick with the original night at Woodbridge ;)

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Woodbridge Funk Night last night was the best party I've been to since I've lived in Detroit. I'm sorry to hear the other one got busted up. Anyone have any more details on that?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 663
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would the DPD tow everyones cars that were at CAID?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now while i prefer the other funk night (which was a lot of fun btw) i can't say i'd wish this on any party goers

a comment from the caid's myspace site

quote:

so, that sucked.

20 angry detroit cops with shotguns.

everyone there got a 50 to 500 dollar ticket, plus a 900 dollar towing fee.
plus other stuff.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 31, 2008)

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From one of the DJs (Carjack):

"i was handcuffed, harassed, humiliated with my face in beer drenched muddy floor for 3+ hours. plus they 'seized about all my bro's & i record collection (which is irreplaceable & worth over $10,000+. no joke). AND gave us arraignment dates AND impounded my car to be released for $900.

now THAT's fucked up.

i honestly initially thought like i was in the middle of police chase. which eventually felt like we were in the middle of a hostage take over and/or being mugged. by fricking COPS."

Chitaku

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get the lawyers! this sounds juicy and sounds like DPD was hunting for suburban kids who they know will pay the tix.

Alley

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god, the worst part is the records :-( it sucks being humiliated otherwise, but I know the real shitter for those djs was losing their collections for some bullsht :-(

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://jasper.webvomit.com/

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this causes one to wonder if the dpd is going for the low hanging fruit (or the more profitable operations) instead of the tough stuff (with no revenue), like solving gun crimes (broadway shootout???)

detroit rises!

(Message edited by gravitymachine on June 01, 2008)

Chitaku

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is bad and only going to cause the City/Suburb divide to become worse. My friend from C Twp. had his car stolen on opening day. That caused him to stay away for a while, he finally comes back and this happens.

Amgasper01

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did this really happen? Any honest first hand accounts? I'm not callin' anyone out but I'm just curious 'cause this seems serious to me.

Chitaku

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes it happened. i talked to my friend who was there, he's really upset because he does not have 900 dollars and he has a job to go to.

Amgasper01

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might be a strange summer in the city. I'm starting to get a strange feeling...

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very strange. Read this news on the webvomit site and then visited detroityes which was completely out. Thought there might have been a lock down in Motown or something.

Maybe this was homeland security funds at work and like all government money that's been budgeted, they have to use it or lose it?

Also there was episode on 60 minutes last night about the Chicago police using false charges "to get things done."

A bad news day to be sure.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you can't just run a blind pig in Detroit anymore and expect nothing to happen.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why was Carjack djing the funk night? How can anyone go to see that clown when Brad's night is just down the road?

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soulhawk, I think he was helping out a friend. I don't think he's the regular CAID Funk Night DJ.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing is that it wasn't a blind pig. The CAID has been operating under the idea that since they were a private club and only members were allowed inside, then they were allowed to sell the alcohol. The police have been there on multiple occasions and seem to have agreed that those were the rules. So what inspired the SWAT team to show up this Friday? It seems unprovoked. Plus doesn't 2:20 seem a bit early to raid an afterhours club for serving alcohol? I'm sure there's lots of bars around that you could get a drink at 20 minutes after closing time. Why not wait until 3 or so when it's way more obvious what they're doing?

There were no weapons and the only drugs there would have been the drugs certain people there had on them, so why was the SWAT team needed at all? Wouldn't have been more appropriate, if they wanted to shut it down, to have a few cop cars show up and just tell everyone to leave?

Giving everyone in attendance, even the people that weren't doing anything they thought was illegal, $400 tickets and then impounding their cars for an additional $900 seems overly extreme. Not to mention that most of the people at this party were the young creative class type of people that the city so desperately needs. Why scare them all off?

The whole situation just seems ridiculous to me. There's got to be some other motive behind why this happened.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone I know was in a similar situation when a club she was at got raided. They game the patron the same spiel "contributing to the organization" basically the ACLU was all over it and I advise anyone involved with this to contact the local ACLU. In the case of the person I know all charges were dropped against all patrons, they were issues a public apology from a city official and the ACLU wen on to sue the city and won each patron a bit of money to cover distress and illegal search.

http://www.aclumich.org/

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this account on LiveJournal...

http://stevesecretia.livejourn al.com/196423.html

I just happened to call the Scarab Club this morning, they told me about CAID getting raided, what a shock.

I guess the city has to make money somehow

Rax

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not to mention that most of the people at this party were the young creative class type of people that the city so desperately needs. Why scare them all off?

You mean white. Just say it. Detroit needs young white people. No need for codespeak.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs diversity. If that means white people who dance, so be it. :-)

Alley

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed! People putting words in other people's mouths concerning race is where problems start :-( why not just leave it at "young creative class type of people"

Rax

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure. Call it whatever you want. Carry on.

Hoog
Username: Hoog

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's time to investigate the possibility that "Amgasper01" is working for the fuzz.

"Can anyone confirm if Funk Night is planned for this upcoming Friday? I understand it's usually the last Friday of every month. Is it still at the Woodbridge Gallery on W. Forest? Any info would be greatly appreciated!"

Sounds like a trap to me...

Amgasper01

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^No, but apparently I can be classified as a "young creative class type of person."

Label jars, not people!

Rax

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're white? Shocking!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.