Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Man runs into traffic on I-75 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4374
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't something similar happen a month or two ago up on M-59/I-69 or someplace like that?

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=2ea1ad2b-4c19 -4c47-96e1-e7287d1dbb22

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine did a photo portrait series on truck drivers east of the Mississippi last summer and in his conversations he was told that truck drivers pull over a lane when there's a car on the side of the road no out of courtesy but rather because people often jump in front of semi trucks to kill themselves on the freeway.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother witnessed that exact thing a few months back on I-96. Up ahead of him as he was driving through the Westland/Redford area a car pulled over to the side and parked. As he passed the car a woman, the driver, was getting out, and in his rear view mirror he saw her waving frantically as she walked onto the freeway just as a semi approached. I'll spare the graphic details.

My bro was pretty shaken up, understandably, and he said that when he searched the radio for some news thinking that such an incident would be newsworthy, he found barely a mention of it. So it probably does happen more than we hear.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's bad enough to kill yourself, but to force someone to spend the rest of their life remembering that they "killed" you is downright cruel! (and I'm not trying to be sarcastic)

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's also suicide by cop - a recognized phenomenon

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 618
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is happening more and more now days, since people are out of work, going broke due to the economy, and depressed. Sad.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The victim was out of work?

Lilpup

Post Number: 4377
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ that was my thought, too - wonder if that's really the case or it just appears that way - would have to see what the numbers look like

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 620
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just guessing.

Or maybe he's a Penguins fan.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sports related suicide. I see.

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy on M59 had a very good job. I don't think you can extrapolate any details such as depression over the economy from a brief news item.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone ever hear anything more about this? Was it just a terrible accident or a suicide?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 820
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Flint paper reported that he was squatting in front of his pickup and then leapt out into traffic and in front of a minivan.

I went up that way for work yesterday and there was still a big backup into the afternoon.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to know a dispatcher for Cisco Foods who told me this story. Apparently, a number of years ago, some guy jump off a bridge onto the freeway, and timed it as a Cisco truck was cruising down the road. The jumper hit the truck, dies, and driver goes through years of therapy to help deal with the ordeal. The real shame in this whole phenomenon is some suicidal idiot can't have enough "courage" to kill himself by himself, but instead has to involve an unwitting innocent bystander who is never mentally, and sometimes physically, the same afterwards. This person is cruising through life, minding his/her own business, when wack, life is never the same again, and it is in no way his/her fault.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Death Race 2008 would solve the problem nationwide.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4418
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Train engineers get it a lot, too.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A sports related suicide. I see."

Seriously, who would kill themselves over a game?

None the less, it's sad to hear a story like this. I'm surprised there's no more information on the incident yet.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4419
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sports may be mere entertainment, but people develop intense relationships with the teams they follow, psychologists say. The teams affect them in emotional and even physical ways.

Residents identify with teams so strongly that the athletes' success becomes their own, studies have shown. A winning squad makes fans feel better about themselves and more optimistic in other parts of their lives.

Some fans even experience hormonal surges during a game, just like the players do, psychologists say. "They're basking in reflected glory," said Rick Grieve, a psychology professor at Western Kentucky University. "It ends up as a distraction away from other problems."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20088053103 66

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the Metrolink commuter rail system in L.A. has a news blackout on all suicides in the month of December because of copycats. It screws up the timetable, & you don't wanna ride a train after it hits a suicide, I did...I was wonderring "what the hell is that strawberry jello stuff on the windows?" til the gal explained in exquisite detail. The departed was a local homeless hooker, & LA Fire didn't give the loco their antibiotic shampoo til it hit Union Station. Of course, beneath Aurora Bridge in Seattle is also fairly notorious but you can't blame the local economy 'round there.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Actually the Metrolink commuter rail system in L.A. has a news blackout on all suicides in the month of December because of copycats. It screws up the timetable, & you don't wanna ride a train after it hits a suicide, I did...I was wonderring "what the hell is that strawberry jello stuff on the windows?" til the gal explained in exquisite detail. The departed was a local homeless hooker, & LA Fire didn't give the loco their antibiotic shampoo til it hit Union Station. Of course, beneath Aurora Bridge in Seattle is also fairly notorious but you can't blame the local economy 'round there."

Yeah, you can blame the heat, rain, clouds, earthquakes, saltwater, etc. :-)

(I'm surprised no one has used this one yet)

Heck, I blame the government.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 31, 2008)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bush did it. And one day, all of us will jump in front of trucks.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one night we were driving down I94 and someone flew out into the freeway, bounced a couple times, then got up off the pavement and ran to the shoulder, and disappeared. We couldn't figure out where the guy came from, it didn't seem like he ran out from the shoulder because we saw him drop and bounce, but I doubt he would've been able to hop up and run like he did if he'd jumped from the overpass. All I know for sure is that it happened right in front of our car, and the guy was gone just as fast as it happened.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4424
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did he look like a short reddish dwarf?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 618
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A co-worker did exactly this on the Zilwaukee bridge right before it closed for construction this past year. I can't understand why anyone would do this. It bothers me more than anything. How bad could it be? Everything seemed to be going so well for him. Then BAM! Just like that, he's gone. He was nice enough to park his car across the lanes and shut off the lights first. Real nice. It was blurbed in the news. Life isn't long enough for it to be unbearable... is it? :-(

I know it's tough at times... but it's just a ride that will be over before you know it.

Please no one on here ever do this. If anyone has a problem, you have a whole community on here that would be willing to listen and help you work through it... whatever it is.

"Don't worry be happy! It will soon pass, whatever it is... Call me up and I'll make you happy... :-)"

Sorry couldn't resist quoting another great. Don't mean to be so annoying, LOL.

My biggest fear... :-(

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, This smacks of the age-old gag of tossing a mannequin on a rope into traffic, an activity which Sstashmoo himself partook in days of yore.

Why do people punch their ticket? I'm not a psychiatrist, but I've known a few blokes that have taken this path. I think a lot of it stems from their childhood. They were driven hard and led from example by a nuclear family that was reaping the fruit of one of the most explosive economy's in the history of the world. And taught that failure is not an option. Easy to say and practice under those conditions. And it's peer pressure. People on the whole will lie about their economic status. They say how good they're doing and a year later they are filing bankruptcy.

Kids should be taught that failure is part of success. We get knocked down occasionally, but we pick ourselves up, dust off and try again. Calm seas don't make good sailors.

I often wonder about future generations and the affects of child rearing we're seeing today. These kids nowadays are mouthy, disrespectful and have little regard for any sort of discipline. They have every gadget known to mankind, including their personal DVD player in the back of the Suburban. Mom's running around like an idiot attending to their every need and activity. They aren't doing these kids any favors. When life jumps up and throws them a left-hook and mom is not around, they aren't going to be able to deal with it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.