Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Red Bull Preview > ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Anybody else on the east side have these little buggers buzzing around above their house ? Yesterday I couldnt figure out what the hell would make such a crazy sound - being close to SANG you see some odd craft occasionally. But these things SCREAM !

Out in the Pointes I spotted them again today, while working. Sure nuff - its the Bull crew. They were doing tricks above the lake.

Are they flying out of City or SANG ? Anybody know ?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2809
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

This one just flew over my house as I was posting the last one. They must be at City, because they are flying from the lake in the Pointes over Harper Hoods and towards Gratiot.

Curly98
Username: Curly98

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, city airport. City was thier 3rd choice, Atwater then Belle Isle, but the great City of Detroit couldn't agree on the terms in time. So we all get freebie, kind of worked out a little better that way.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2812
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats cool - I saw on the other thread that people were seeing them over City and also headed westward towards Dearborn.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 371
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they releasing new MI tickets as someone suggested in another thread?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4820
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one flying over Belle Isle on Sunday too, but it disappeared behind the trees before I could draw my camera.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did have that one release a week or two after the first sell out. No idea if they are going to release any more. Windsor's the place to be as long as you don't get stuck in the tunnel all afternoon.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's where I'll be. Can't wait for this! :-)

Tkshreve

Post Number: 375
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I'll be in Windsor also. Ticket info?

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screens keep lower classes out

In a disturbing turn of events, large 75 foot tall folding rice paper screens were ordered from Pier One Imports and placed upon pontoons along the Detroit River on both the Canadian and American sides to keep non-ticket holders from enjoying the event. With tickets in the $600 range, it will be an event for celebrities only.

[this is a joke and if you didn't realize this by now, I'm shocked]

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.redbullairrace.com

Click on Detroit.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Islandman

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not that much of a joke. It will be difficult to see the race for free, in Detroit anyway. The planes fly low on the water and all the good viewing from Rivard Plaza on the east to Joe Louis on the west will be blocked off and for ticketholders only. Looks like all of Hart Plaza too from the official site map. See my post on the other Red Bull thread

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a few other places on the Detroit side selling tickets. Its not directly affiliated with the series, but its something nevertheless...
www.AirRaceX.com

I am so excited for this weekend!

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the view from our 25th floor deck (150 W. Jefferson):

MOVIES:

www.flickr.com/photos/jeffwide n/sets/72157605308760647/

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that airracex.com website. This guy seems to think it's legit.

http://www.leisuredetroit.blog spot.com/2008/05/red-bull-air- races-not-sold-out.html

I've got friends coming in from out of town, and I'm glad I won't have to cart them over to Canada. The Princess sounds like a really good option.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Very funny, but sadly very true.

Auspower
Username: Auspower

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just bought my tickets. I just bought 30 tickets for me and my friends to do the Detroit Princess ride.
It looks like they will be up river from the start/ finish line but should be a neat experience getting to watch it in a bar type atmosphere..

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw them at maheras gentry park today

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the planes is hanging off the front of the Compuware Building at Campus Martius Park. I'll try to snag a photo of it today...

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, they are way cool, especially the sound of the engines, When they do their thing.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, man. They are practicing now, & I’m dizzy from watching through the camera & binoculars through my open office windows. This is so cool!

(Don’t ask me how I plan to concentrate on work the rest of the day ….)

Treinman
Username: Treinman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! My first post, been a lurker for a while. Cool site... Anyway, here is the plane in front of Compuware. No, it's not hanging from the building, that'd be a cool idea though!

-- Tim

P.S. Detroitpetanque - Awesome videos on that other thread! I think you can see me on the shoreline... That one dot to the left. :-)

Red Bull Plane in front of Compuware

Red Bull Plane - View Two

(Message edited by treinman on May 29, 2008)

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They actually have a set of giant "cones" set up at city airport where they are practicing. They also had their helicopter doing a routine.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a few snaps this afternoon.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/a wwordynerdy/2534293943/in/set- 72157605046024915/

Detsfb
Username: Detsfb

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were practicing most of the day on the course. I think most of the people who work on the river side of the RenCen spent a good bit of the day watching. It is awesome.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Username: 7051

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.redbullairrace.com/ img/areamap/detroit/area_map_d etroit.jpg

This map places the River princess at the start and finish of the race. The boat is to be docked between Chene park and Belle Isle according to their web site.

http://www.detroitprincess.com /cruiseinfo.php?date=2008-6-1& cid=15247

This viewing location would be better if it featured the midpoint of the race with its multiple turns. Looking straight at the planes or even a 45 degree angle at the start/finish doesn't seem to be that great? Actually, pretty poor. Any thoughts???

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.