Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Any Detroit high schools with hockey teams. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering, some friends and i play drop in hockey at the Farmington Hills Ice Arena and there would always be some people there my age (20) or younger from the city playing. Is there any DPS with hockey teams?

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but there are programs I believe with Think Detroit/PAL in which they use one of the Rec centers with a ice rink to have league games.

Umbound

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isnt there an ice arena in the city i thought? I wish there was one high school at least that plays hockey and have its own arena. It would be a real gem to have in the city.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound, there is City Arena on Mt. Elliot and Larned, but that one is used by the Grosse Pointe South teams.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4820
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed, Scs.

Does U-D High not have hockey?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have one, and they are ranked 45th in the state. http://www.ushsho.com/mirank.h tm

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't Jack - Addams still have a rink???

There is also the rink down by Mt Elliot and Larned.

I can recall several others, but they are long gone by now.

Umbound

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea UD high has hockey but where do they play out of? I would love to see even one Detroit high school have a hockey team, because i play inline at the Jewish Community Center and i hear all the time how there is no hockey played in Detroit proper, i speak up sometimes and say yes there is, but its hard to find.

Tayllik
Username: Tayllik

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.DetroitHockey.org/i ndex.htm

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Jack Addams does have a rink that is used by the PAL group

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While on the hockey subject... A few months ago some peeps were talking about finding a beer league in the city, what ever happended with that??

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7376
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Public Schools did have various hockey teams in the past. However when most students in DPS High Schools population became mostly black. Most black kids were not interested in playing hockey. They got more into basketball, baseball and football. So most DPS high school hockey teams are long gone.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7377
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Detroit Dragon's hockey team. Some of the players are black and they won various tournaments.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Arena is on E Lafayette, not Larned.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Grosse Pointe arena over by where Mack and Warren meet within the Detroit city limits?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3151
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a hockey league at the Adams-Butzel Rec Center on Lyndon at Meyers.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make no mistake, the movement away from ice hockey in several of Detroit's public secondary schools had nothing to do with racial demographics; the sport was long-gone...long ago.
It went the way of outdoor rinks and inexpensive ice time.

Incidentally, several Detroit high schools (at one time) also featured speed skating, fencing, bowling and table tennis.

Believe it, or not - the Detroit public schools never sponsored the sport of wrestling

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UMBound, Jack Adams is closed for the season. Youth hockey there has suffered from poor leadership for years. Program directors in the Detroit Parks and Rec. are grossly underpaid, so motivation is low. Jack Adams now has several B & C "Travel-House" teams and maybe one A team. The true house leagues are defunct since the 90s.

However, the rink is operational and continues to get face lifts, and the Learn to Skate or "Initiation Program" saw a huge increase in participation this year. The NHL has donated 200 sets of equipment over the past few years, so kids get free equipment ($75 deposit) and $75 to skate for the entire season.

Unfortunately, senior hockey leagues left Jack Adams in the 90s. If you wanna catch, or drop in, on some Jack Adams graduates, bring your "A" game, full pads, and keep your head up because there is full contact; Fridays, 5 in the afternoon at City Sports on E Lafayette (at Mt. Elliot). The pace is fast, and you will be expected to "hit the tape." These guys don't play around.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.