Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Shoot Out on Broadway Last Night? « Previous Next »
Archive through May 27, 2008Django30 05-27-08  4:29 am
Archive through May 27, 2008Gnome30 05-27-08  4:50 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 542
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1515 Broadway has never served alcohol, at least in the past 15 years.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

The shooting occurred Sunday night (Monday 1:30 AM). All of the locations listed in your post are the same shootout. The 1515 Broadway Electronic Music "Fest" was Saturday night until 6:30 Sunday morning.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't blame the doc for moving if his fiancee is freaked. If a similar scene unfolded right outside my home, I'd be looking to move too.

To me the scariest thing isn't the shooting; it's the apparent lack of response by the police.

It's sad that those who have really made a commitment to bettering the city are being chased out by thug culture.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So where exactly was the shooting? If they all happened in the same place where was that place? Opera house, YMCA or Woodward?

The situation is far from clear.

Docmo

Post Number: 346
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazootyman'

My fiancee' was impressed with the police response. By the time she got off the phone with 911, police were on the scene.

Actually, I am more scared about 30 rounds going off outside our loft than police response time.

This has been a great place to live---most of the time. The location is phenomenal. The Opera House, Y, Comerica, Small Plates, DBC, Oslo. There is a vibrancy to Broadway. That vibrancy goes into hyperdrive from 1 AM to 3 AM on the weekends, though. Its basically the Wild West with a ghetto twist. If you want to make it through a weekend night, I recommend take cover, a sleeping pill and ear plugs.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Rax, I misunderstood.

Docmo

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My best guess from talking with my fiancee' is that the shootout likely happened on John R between Library and Broadway. That's where the sound from the gunshots emanated. Its also where the detectives seemed to congregate. The arrests occurred around the corner on the Broadway median between the Opera House and Small Plates.

Docmo

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, 1515 does not have liquor license. They do, however, seem to have a license to play ear splitting music until 6:30 in the frigging morning.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it doesn't matter, the Techno bass travels a long, long, disance (the Movement festival could be heard at least as far as LP). But are these clubs, the Apartment and 1515 Broadway, in the same buildings where loft dwellers are living? It seems like that would be a zoning violation, either the club is in a residential building or the lofts are not really zoned or approved for residential.

Or are the clubs just next door or across the street and still too loud?

I too am on Broadway all the time although not at 2:00 am, and have never felt unsafe. As another poster said, it's one of the bright, vibrant spots downtown. Actually it felt more unsafe 5-6 years ago when it was more like a ghost town street. But the club owners and the police have to do something to stop this shit. One thing would be to swarm the area with cops at closing time. Another would be to enforce a strict no guns in the club policy. If I can get searched going to a baseball or hockey game, why can't the clubs make sure no one is allowed in with firearms? I know people would just leave the guns in their cars but at least they would have some time to disperse and cool off. And the gang squad should be in these clubs, if DPD still has a gand squad.

If the club owners wanted to stop it they could. But it seems they almost want to cultivate that "thug" cachet as a marketing device.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder it was loud, pretty good lineup
keeping me up

Django

Post Number: 615
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just assumed these clubs have metal detectors and searches at the door. Back in 88 I was a bouncer at the Nectarine Ballroom in Ann Arbor, we always had a walk through metal detector, then the "wand" then a pat down. That was on Sunday nights when the Wiz would scratch. That was some crazy shit.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 512
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had my unfortunate late night wake ups. One was even IN one of my old buildings. Domestic violence case. It stinks to have to wake up to that. The blood splattered hallway/street...

That was of course back when I lived in the suburbs... very nice area, and NOT the city. This can happen anywhere. It happened in the city too!

I am not trying to diminish the seriousness of these events. Some of you guys need to realize something though; Downtown is a major downtown. You have everyone from our whole area using that area. If you chose to live there, you are choosing to live in that type of environment. Yes, you have the families and young couples and such. And then at night you might have a totally different thug crowd. Most of these people, both good and bad, do NOT live downtown. Most aren't even from Detroit. You have kids playing wannabe gangsta from all the suburbs, satellite cities, expensive gated communities, and area slums.

Downtown is where everyone meets, and sometimes clash. It is nothing new to Detroit. The problem is much worse in New York, Atlanta, D.C., and L.A. (at times) for example. Now, these problems need to be addressed, I agree. But if you choose to live in the CBD, you are going to see some things that you wouldn't up in bubble wrapped suburbia. Those "cool" singles you hear about living in NYC and Chicago have to deal with this stuff too. It goes with the territory. This is the real world, and this is stuff that happens in the real world. And I don't mean to scare anyone, but you're really not even as safe as you think out in Oakland County, Macomb County, or Western Wayne County. I mean that with all the deserved respect to those areas. They have lower crime rates, but this stuff still does happen. Believe it or not, it's not always in the news up there either. That Cedar Point Thread really shows how our news media often operates. Their nice to have, but are not fail safe reporters for everything. Lest we not forget that they are competing for ratings?

Another thing you have to realize is how many people you actually see downtown. You don't see many people in the suburbs interacting. The more people you see, the greater the odds you will see a crime. if it's one hundred crimes for every 100,000 people, you will probably actually see 100,000 people in the city in a month. In the suburbs, everyone is in their cars and such. They don't walk anywhere. It will take you much longer to actually see (with no buffers such as houses or cars) 100,000 people. But don't get it confused, the crime rates aren't THAT much higher. You WILL still eventually see crime.

If you want to live in that bubble, and raise your kids in that bubble... I completely understand. I really do. But it's not paradise, it's just a bubble. It really starts to stink when your kids eventually leave that bubble and realize it's not reality. Trust me... they're not all going to understand why you did that to them. Some will eventually... eventually.

But I understand why it's so attractive. The world is a scary place. The news sometimes likes to say Detroit is as bad as Baghdad (I don't think this is true), but if it were; that means that the United States IS in fact as bad as Iraq in parts. It doesn't take much from one bad person from a part of Iraq to move to another part of Iraq now does it? Scary thoughts, I know! But I personally don't want to hide my life away, and I don't want my kids thinking the world is perfect when it's not.

I want to teach them how to survive, not hide.

But that's just me.

That being said, I can see myself having a similar problem with the girly in the future... but I think she gets it a little better than most.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 513
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, the professionally run ones do. Even so, you have people leave to run to their trunks... and no bouncer is going to step in front of a psycho with a gun. Muscle doesn't help much in those situations. Remember, they aren't allowed to be armed (right?). Those security guards and bouncers are the first to flee!

Now...

Maybe some officers on a beat would help? Maybe some stationed outside near parking lots would help as well?

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are not very smart, are you?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 514
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was never mentioned ... the blood splatters in front of the Hudson block the night before the Super Bowl when it was here. Area tapped off with a little number marker by each splatter. Anyone else remember that? I know I'm going WAY back, but what was the story with all that?

Never made the news, and no one at the Winter Blast even seemed to notice.

Life in the big city can be... interesting. Especially if you don't realize that those crime dramas... well, that stuff really does happen sometimes.

Mortgageking, me? No I'm not. Please, spell it out for me. What do I not know?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on May 27, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in the outer burbs, Brighton area, I wouldnt give up that experience for anything. I loved roaming the woods as a kid. I had a swamp across the street from me, a lake to fish in, Huge turtles used to nest in my front lawn. I loved that shit. I dont know if I would want to raise a family down here in the D. Thank god I dont want a family, cause I still do love it here.

Docmo

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gianni,

You're right. It is the base. The Apt Lounge is on Woodward. I live on Broadway. The decaying hulk of the Metropolitan Building separates us. It does not stop the Techno Base from shaking the hell out of my loft. 1515 Broadway is the building right next to our loft. That Hi-Tek Soul shit was obscene at 6 AM.

MortgageKing,

That blood on John R is not fit for anyone's eyes, not just my fiancee's. We actually walked down John R Monday morning. I am surprised we missed those stains.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Country life is a whole different type of life...

If that's what you want, then that's great. My issue is with people who want urban, but want it sterilized. Not just safe, but completely sterile.

I obviously want conditions to raise a family in Detroit to improve... and am not starting just yet. So I'm not COMPLETELY out of my mind in this topic. I actually believe things will change slightly (not completely) within the next decade or two. I know not everyone shares my optimism though.

We'll see where we are when we get there I guess.

I would definitely chose urbanish over exurbish/suburbanish though.

Edit: Spelling

Mortgageking

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_Detroit,

Thanks for the treatise on urban violence, suburban homogony, child rearing, suburban crime rates and the melting pot that is Detroit’s downtown. Unfortunately, none of these things explain Detroit’s problems with violence.

You don’t need to have the answers. But your long-winded responses on every topic, including this one, show that you lack the ability to take situations like this and put them in a rational perspective. Instead you ramble about the places where people choose to live, how people complaining about this kind of violence need to realize that this is a “major downtown.”

I’m not going to waste a lot of time on this but I think that your refrain of “this can happen anywhere” falls on a lot of deaf ears around here. Bloody shootouts don’t happen in Detroit’s suburbs, and it most certainly isn’t suburban kids coming down to Broadway and shooting at each other outside a nightclub. New York, Chicago, Atlanta, DC and LA are much safer and livable cities than is Detroit. Someday you’ll live in these places and see the comparisons quickly fade. Myths Busted.

No blame can be placed on families who choose to move out when they see a bloody shootout in their front window. Certianly nobody can be blamed for choosing to raise their family in the suburbs. If living in the suburbs means that I have “bubble wrapped” my family, then sign me up. When I have kids, I’m hitting 8 mile.

Either way, I’m going to stop being rough on you, because I can tell that you are just a young guy. Your enthusiasm for the city is great, and I hope that you do great things. If I run in to you downtown I’ll even buy you a beer.

Still, I think if you spent more time thinking about your posts, and less time writing them, you might actually have something insightful to say.

(Message edited by mortgageking on May 27, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortgageking... you are wrong, plain and simple.

Here's why;

You said:

"Bloody shootouts don’t happen in Detroit’s suburbs"

That is not AT ALL true! I have seen them happen in Canton when I was working outside Bumpers in Westland. I have also seen the after affects down the street from there, in which I think five people were shot to death in 2001.

I also have seen the after affects at a shooting at the former Tremors in Livonia, in Laurel Park Mall. These things are forgotten.

Your askew-ed world views are incorrect. Though I do understand why people would want to raise their families in these (and other) suburbs. If that's what they want to do, I can respect that. But I will not be doing that, for reasons I stated above. Detroit has some things it needs to improve (dramatically), but so much is lost in the sterile suburbs. The sense of community is really the biggest thing lost. The exurbs in particular cannot (nor do they desire) provide the close nit neighborhoods that can and do exist in th city and inner suburbs.

I do understand though. I do. I know they are just trying to give their kids the best. I just disagree with the method. It's a personnel view, nothing more. I was stating it as such. Sorry if that was not clear.

BTW, maybe if you spent more time researching, and less time posting short little meaningless posts, you'd contribute accurate facts and CORRECT assumptions to the discussions? :-)

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to be so rough on you...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Furthermore, it's true many are not from Detroit.

You are making the very false generalization that all suburbanites are well off. Not true at all!

You are forgetting Inkster, Yipsi, Highland Park, and many others. You are also forgetting (or don't realize) how much racial strife there is in diverse areas like Dearborn. How many young thugs visit our clubs with a huge "entourage" from these areas?

Apparently more than you think.

I don't mean to be mean... but come on. You should know better than to assume these things. Detroit is no paradise, I never said it was. But to say that this stuff is all Detroit is just as absurd!

EDIT: Grammar

I know not everyone likes to "waste their time" putting thought into their contributions. Guess I feel if anything's worth doing...

Docmo

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Docmo's fiancee. I am not sure if Mortgage King is the one who posted the heartless photos with the rude comment about me following them on the Hot Fudge website or not. I do know that it was you who posted the direct link to these photos briefly. If not I apologize now and intend this for the person who did! I do not appreciate your comment!
I am sure you intended it to be a joke however I did not find if very funny. I have seen much worse things in the health care profession than a little puddle of clotted blood on the side walk. My eyes have seen and can handle much worse things than you can imagine which I will not submit readers to viewing. What I am not comfortable with however, is that right outside my bedroom window some young idiots who care more about looking tough and cool were firing off rounds of bullets with their buddies while they were leaving a club! It is the simple fact of lack of safety for not only the residents but the innocent people who decided to come into the city to have a good time one night and were also leaving the bar not looking for trouble.
Only 2 nights prior to this night my 9 year old niece from Northville was here with us spending the night because she wanted to come to the city for dinner and fun. (mind you we were not out until 1:30 am) but we did walk down that same street, in the dark, on our way to and from the sushi restaurant she requested we go to. So next time she asks what is that puddle/spot and I have to explain to her what, how and why it happened. I certainly will not refer her to you for the explaination filled with heartless jokes and photos.
Question for the Hot Fudge poster: before you posted those photos did you ever stop to think that that was a persons family member that may have died? A child's father or a mother's son? Someone who may well be a blogger on that site. Maybe next time you will think about how a little joke will be interpreted through someone else's eyes before it is posted on the internet!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docmo's fiancee,

I agree. Please do not take my above posts to be disrespectful (I did not post the things you mentioned). And I understand your desire to move. But please know that things are changing... many here don't believe me when I say that, and I'm sure I'll get some sneers at my optimism, but it really is true. It's what I have seen with my own eyes. Believe it or not, it was once much worse in the CBD. It is still improving. I don't see the progress stopping (though it does slow at times).

Your participating in something so amazing... you are witnessing Detroit's rebirth. A city that was left for dead by many. More importantly, those people you saw outside your window are from a area that was left for dead by many. They are the result of a generation of "through away" children. This bad stuff exists and happens because society failed these people. We can't give up on this city... and on those people like the ones you saw. I know how horrible that must have been, but they need us.

I guess I don't blame you though.

Thank you for everything you've given to this city. We need more people like you, so it's sad to hear that you will be leaving soon. Don't listen to people who posted some of those other comments (can I say I'm not surprised they aren't from the city without sounding like a jerk?). People like you ARE appreciated more than you could ever imagine.

Thanks for putting in your time here trying to make things better. Hope you guys at least come back to visit. And please don't forget to ignore the rude comments... most of them aren't even from here! They don't get it... it's all a joke for them.

Wish we had more people like you guys... sigh.

EDIT: On another note, how one earth do we expect building owners to renovate the Metropolitan, Broderick, Whitney, and others with music that loud? You can seriously hear it THROUGH the Metropolitan Building? That is horrible. No one is going to want to live at any of these places. Don't they have sound proofing? What about their customers and employees? That has to be killing their hearing. We're so worried about smoke. We're going to end up with a bunch of deaf people around here (but at least they will not have respiratory issues??).

I love concerts and loud music... but not THAT loud!

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Docmo the guy who left his wife out in Ann Arbor because for a time he thought he was homosexual?

Now he's engaged? To a female?

I probably have the wrong Docmo.

Mortgageking

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ms. Mo,

Read my above post... I'm certainly not reveling in the gunfight. I understand you wanting to move.. I'm on your side...

Just remember... "you are participating in something amazing... you are witnessing Detroit's rebirth."

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a process Mortgageking, it's not going to happen overnight.

Gnome

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wtf Eric C, unless you have c in mouth evidence, take that shit down.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 525
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c,

What the.... who cares? So what if he was?

Throwing stones? Seriously, what was that?

Like I said... ignore the rude comments. It's all a joke to some. They'll grow up eventually.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the search feature, dude. It's all there.

Docmo

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean of detroit,

Thank you for the very nice message. My fiancee and I do love it here and will be back for frequent visits with out a question. We love attending games, events, and enjoying the many wonderful restaurants down here. We are not moving due to the shooting or the loud music, (while it will be nice to not have my walls vibrating all night long) it is due to the longer commutes to work, growing cost of gas, wanting to start a family, needing more room and a yard for that family/children to play in safely. We will however bring our children to the city with us whenever we come. To share with them the many amazing things there are to: see, taste, hear, and learn from Detroit.

I fully agree with the cities changing. The city of Detroit has come such a long way from where it was even 5 years ago. This city should be very proud of their progress. As with any change/rebuild it take time. I am confident that this city will continue to move forward and upward. We may be moving, but we will come back often.

Docmo

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Previous posted by Docmo's fiancee

Gnome

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shut up sean. you're making us look bad.

Docmo

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Eric c You do have the wrong Docmo. Why don't people stop and think before they post! It would prevent them from looking like an ass later.

Docmo's fiancee

Docmo

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And for the record, Yes I am a female!

Docmo's fiancee

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And maybe someday I won't be viewed as crazy for thinking about raising a family here. Just maybe.

We'll see I guess...

EDIT: LOL @ Gnome!

Mortgageking

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And for the record, Yes I am a female!"

That's awesome. Thanks for setting things straight.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is Docmo's fiancee. I am not sure if Mortgage King is the one who posted the heartless photos with the rude comment about me following them on the Hot Fudge website or not.

quote:

Isn't Docmo the guy who left his wife out in Ann Arbor because for a time he thought he was homosexual?

Now he's engaged? To a female?

Daaaaaamn this thread's gotten hot!

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yes Eric c You do have the wrong Docmo.

Yes, there are 2 Docmo's on here... ummmmm... yeah.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or childish. Depends how you look at it.

You see my points about MK's short posts.

Yeah, I can be childish too I suppose. (Just playin' around Mortgageking).

Docmo

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean and MK, I see what you mean about childish posts.

docmo fiancee

(Message edited by docmo on May 27, 2008)

Docmo

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c,

No clue where you came to the gay conclusion. I did think manrooter was a cool guy. I don't think that makes me gay though. Oh well.

You kind of got the Ann Arbor part right. I do commute there frequently. I lived in Northville with the ex. She turned 50; decided she wasn't happy. She divorced me.

I moved to the loft downtown. Met a beautiful, engaging young woman. Fell in love. She moved in. Soon, we will be married. We move to Northville in August. Hopefully, we are blessed with the children I did not have in the first marriage. As my fiancee says, we will always be huge supporters of this city, even with its sometimes violent faults. End of story. Start of story.

Docmo

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading through this thread was a little bit like overhearing the MTV show, "The Real World," coming from the living room TV when my eldest still lived at home.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, what ever happened to the 'Real World: Detroit' idea?
Docmo, bass...not base.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was downtown sunday night drinking a few beers w/my friends near greektown. When I went to leave around 1am I was walking to my where my car was parked on John R, between Broadway and Woodward. Thats when I saw the cop cars. They wouldn't let anyone go to their vehicles due to the shooting.

So I figured I would only have to wait a short while until I could get back to my car. Little did I know I had to wait until 4:30am to get to my car. 3 cars got hit in the whole shooting. The 3rd car got hit by a stray bullet. The blood on the side walk was very nasty. Just hope whoever got shot is doing well.

Just one of the reasons I wouldn't want to live in Detroit. No offense I love the city, it's just that when police response time is horrible from what Ive heard. And how they treated this whole incident....makes people wonder why folk's won't move back to Detroit.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the response time was actually pretty good. You heard differently?

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say they were at the scene rather fast. Considering the time between when I heard the shots then noticing a substantial police presence in the area.

Now, whether they could have done something to prevent the incident, or made arrests, seems to be open to speculation because the newspapers in this town suck.

Maybe Mitch Albom could come to town and do a hokey, catchphrase laden, overly sentimental, fluff piece…

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No money in it for him.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 524
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone ever find out if the guy made it or not?
Any updates or info on the entire incident?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm. Once again, I find myself utterly frustrated at the climate of lawlessness in southeast MI and the apparent inability of the police to stop it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.