Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Belle Isle Boat Club « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some photos of the Belle Isle Boat Club. Enjoy.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More photos

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful.Just beautiful

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a lot of pictures of the Yacht Club at the Model D presentation Thursday. I'll post 'em once I crop 'em, etc.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see them!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still don't really understand how this building, with this location, just sits there.

Seems it could be a really sweet entertainment venue of some kind. Great restaurant, or combo restaurant, bar, dance club, or some sort of outdoor activity place or health club or something.

It is one of those buildings where I always wonder, "why does that just sit"?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is one of those buildings where I always wonder, "why does that just sit"?"

One of many of those buildings.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I still don't really understand how this building, with this location, just sits there."

Ok, I am a broken record on this:

1) It is used daily by the very successful, still growing Detroit Boat Club Crew (Friends of Detroit Rowing) - oldest rowing organization in the world. Yes, the world.

2) It doesn't have to sit there. There has been a standing offer for the rowing club to take over the building and fully maintain it (they have been doing patchwork maintenance while using it in lieu of rent). They have monied members who simply ask for a long term lease so that they are not throwing good money after bad.

The criminals that hold city office have not apparently seen enough green to line their family members pockets so they continue to let it rot...

It's sad. The club, and Belle Isle, apparently had something of a supporter when Archer was in. Kwame's (and much of the city council's) life experience doesn't even conceive that Detroit is next to a body of water nor that any positive historical component of this city from pre-Coleman Young days has value.

and our local newspaper's don't hold any of these clowns accountable!

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thankful the Crew's made the improvements. It's saved the building. I was sickened to hear the Mayor state the building should be used as some sort of reformatory--I wonder what friends and family will profit from that venture? I will write to members of council and suggest the Crew receive a long-term lease.

Btw, do you know anything of the rowing lessons offered this summer? I have a couple of questions...

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LodgeDodger,

Good for you to take the initiative. I would do the same except that I could well be perceived as a "hostile suburbanite" by the council.

I do not personally know about the summer classes.

I believe that Brian Benz, profiled by Lowell in the Fabulous Ruins section was running the city youth program at one time.

A number of high schoolers are involved in the regular rowing crew (from Grosse Pointe North,
Grosse Pointe South, De La Salle, Regina, Ligget, and U of D High). Dick Bell still runs this. Contact info is on the web site:

http://www.detroitrowing.net/

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the site:
SUMMER ROWING CAMP

Summer Rowing Camp is an accelerated program for both juniors and adults that offers instruction in either ‘Learn to Row’ or ‘Learn to Race’. The classes meet four days a week for three weeks. This summer, two sessions of each class are planned.

Learn To Row - no previous experience is required. Monday to Thursday, 11:00 - 12:30 pm

Learn To Race - for those with rowing experience. Monday to Thursday 9:30 – 11:00 am

2008 Sessions:

Session 1: June 16 - July 3

Session 2: July 7 - July 24

Cost for either class is $150 and includes a T-shirt. A 2nd family member may enroll (parents, too!) or you can take a second session of the class for an additional $100.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Irish. This Detroit vs. Suburbs needs to end. I think it will be a generation before we see any progress. Of course the crook currently in the Mayor's office helped kill any progress with this issue.

I'm an older woman (close to retirement) who would love to learn (and have looked at the site). Now for the laugh of the day: I'm very nervous around water. I thought it might help me with my phobia and get in a little exercise. ;-) Btw, I swim very well. I'll contact Mr. Benz.

I'm going to work on the lease issue.

Microfish7
Username: Microfish7

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW - thanks for these wonderful pictures!

Al (in exile in Iowa)

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LD-

When did you go there? Or did you go?

I was on Belle Isle a month ago and the parking lot was closed off. Is there a time when the public is allowed to go there and tour/fart around? I grew up in that club for 12 years. My folks spent even more time there. The pictures bring back many memories and I can recall where each one of those places are located on the grounds.

For those interested, there is a good thread located in the "Hall of Fame threads" section about the Boat Club. Aww hell, it's right here: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/7611.html?119945713 4

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TK--I was there Thursday night for an event. It was my first time. I was amazed at the beauty of the place. Next time you're in town, give me a shout...maybe we can get a tour...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.