Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Belle Isle Deer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4362
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the deer were rounded up and confined in the zoo area now?

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080524/METRO /805240426

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they are all dead now. They cost the city too much so they had to go........... hmm sounds like an idea !

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3167
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Canada's turn to start putting up with the illegals...... :-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby Ferguson was paid close to a half million to put up a "wintering pen" for the deer next to the wilderness interprative center on the north end. Across from where the Nike Missle base was located.

The deer are rounded up and penned there through the cold months ... yep. You pay the heating bills for wild animals, but not for homeless Vets.

Oh, Bobby was the sub-contractor, Lakeshore Engineering was the General Contractor.

both big donors to kk and his mom. just to brighten everyone's da

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame issued them all city cell phones so they could text dirty deer talk messages back and forth.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And now those messages are private, so we'll never know what kind of deer filth they were texting with their sharp little feet... or antlers.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4363
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So he was fleeing to Canada for safety? Gonna rat out the rest of the herd?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC: Almost private. Kwame gets to review every one. It's called executive privilege (aka stalking). So Bambi better watch his behind, and Carlita better watch her hubby.

Jcole

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Bambi better watch out for Carlita if Kwame is texting Bambi.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carlita already has the Residence Inn staked out just in case.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even the deer is tired of Kwame's bullshit lol.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4364
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet a lot of people would swim the river if there was a chance we'd get to stay over there.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, looks like you're off by a half a million!

www.detnews.com/2005/metro/050 8/10/A01-276537.htm

Yet another shameful waste of taxpayer money. Why Detroiters aren't storming city hall demanding better is beyond my comprehension. These animals should have been relocated to another zoo or have been let go in the wild.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The deer lived on the Isle for just about ever, they should have left them the way they where. You used to be able to see and enjoy them, I haven't seen a deer there since they "took care of them" - find a deer on belle isle and you might also be able to find Jimmy H.

Retroit

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the deer once roam the whole island or were they always confined to the zoo? If the former is the case, which I don't think it is, then I would agree with you Karl_jr.

Jcole

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they just roamed around in the woods. Every once in a while, they would find one that wandered into Grosse Pointe Park.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4367
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit, the deer used to freely roam the island. They usually stayed in the woods to avoid people but their movement wasn't restricted at all.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am 50, for the first 47 years of my life the deer were free.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are European fallow deer. There is a good reason for not releasing them into the wild. I preferred when they roamed Belle Isle freely as well, but with no predators, there were different measures needed to control the growth of their population.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"different measures needed to control the growth of their population" from my understanding they were all sterilized {neutered} so I guess they needed Zero growth? What kind of new predators are on Belle Isle other than the present administration?

Jcole

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the problem, there weren't any natural predators, and they kept multiplying and running out of food in the wild. That's why they would wander off the island looking for food

Retroit

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if the deer used to roam around freely on the island without any problems, why in the heck did they build a $1 million display pen?

Was this just a $1 million give-away to Kwame's friend?

Do deer really need to be kept warm, as Gnome said? How do they survive winter in the wild without our merciful government's protection?

Karl_jr

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe that is why the heard used to be thinned? Like everything they where maintained by a group of workers that cared about them. Granted they would escape every once in a great while but they would be on the news and returned and everything returned to normal. I think it could have been done cheaper and the deer would still be as they were. Display Pen? has anyone seen it?? The only thing I can tell you is before long there will be no deer on belle isle. Just like the DPD mounted patrol and aviation section and the aquarium..

(Message edited by karl jr. on May 27, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they would talk about thinning the herd, all of the 'animal activists' would go nuts. They called it animal cruelty, but what's more cruel than letting them multiply unchecked so that they were starving and sick?

Gnome

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the picnic, Cub and I took a drive-by peek at the deer-pen. It certainly is a nice looking fence and while I didn't put a tape measure to it, it appears to be about 10 foot high and is comprised of a fence inside of fence. It looks like they built it that way in the event any of those two foot tall deer get fiesty and try to make a break for it.

They also have a little building for sipping lattes on chilly mornings. Sure does look like a great use of resources. I mean, Bobby needs the money and of course making sure it's a no-bid helps us all feel good about ourselves.

Here is a video which raises more questions than it answers.http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=-6704662210702788292 &pr=goog-sl

Karl_jr

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The video answered all of my questions! I did a search and found:

http://www.swfsanctuary.org/an imals.html

I called and talked to a very nice lady who explained to me that the deer now reside in BROWN CITY, MICHIGAN! As I thought there are no longer any deer on belle isle. period.. She said they are happy and tame and invites every one to come and visit one of detroits lost treasures, she also accepts tax free donations for the upkeep of all of the sanctuaries animal. Although I'm sad to see them go I am sure that they are better off where they are do to the cities neglect. Another million down the drain!

Retroit

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, now I'm really puzzled! A deer came all the way from Brown City, Michigan to Windsor? Or were they all moved just in the last few days? Has anyone thought of the possibility that this deer came in from the outskirts of Windsor? It isn't uncommon for animals to stray into the city, and Windsor is a lot smaller than Detroit so it wouldn't be that far for a deer to travel.

Gnome

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they were there on Sunday

Karl_jr

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many did you see on sunday gnome? It appears they took the majority late last year. I looked at that area 2-3 weeks ago on a drive by, it looked pretty trashy.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they returned for the holiday, spent memorial day on the isle and one got lost swimming?

Gnome

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't count their little heads. It was a drive by viewing.

I previously posted that Lakeshore Engineering was the General Contractor, that info was not correct. The general contractor was KEO Construction, owned by Chris Onwuzurike. The work was sub contacted out to Bobby Ferguson.

Below is a link to KEO Construction web site. In the picture of building the deer shelter, you will notice they are pouring concrete but they aren't using a form. I'm not a concrete engineer but I thought concrete needed a form to be strong.
http://keoonline.com/?module=p roject&action=view&id=14&phase =2

http://keoonline.com/

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does this sound like a shell game?

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

In that photo the earth is acting as a form to provide shape. I do not think a form is needed in an application like this because it does not appear they are pouring walls. They are pouring a slab footing to support some minimal structure that will rest on top of it.

Gnome

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A footing with no re-bar? and no gravel base? WTF is that?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the norm Gnome. I have never to my recolection seen rebar placed in a footing. Im not an expert on concrete either but Ive been around enough construction sites. Often times on a thin slab for a floor they will wire together a bunch of rebar, I assume ony because its a thin layer, and most often above the frost line. The footing has to reach below the frost line, 42" i believe but dont quote me on that.

BTW that hug was a relief, thank you.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there are a few of the little fellows there, i'd say their days are numbered one way or another. Like I said earlier, two weeks ago when I drove through there that fenced in deer area looked shady as hell. Sorta like a concentration camp.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Tragic.

Gnome

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of the most interesting things I've seen about the belle isle deer herd:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=V5i 9YU9_Fc0

very informative.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! very informative. almost lmao.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine new to the city asked about the "albino deer" on Belle Isle. He heard the island was overrun with albino deer, and I laughed at him when he told me that. Sure enough, I find this thread on DY and in the link for the DetNews article there's a picture of deer with some white ones mixed in with the heard! But I guess my question now is, are those albino deer or just a certain breed of deer with a white coat?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 713
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the eyes are pink, they are true albinos.

There is no breed of white deer in MI.

(edited to clarify)

(Message edited by jrvass on May 29, 2008)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 638
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The deer were starving themselves out due to over-population/over grazing their habitation and also could not be allowed to run free due to a outbreak of tuberculosis. A forester for the city under Archer told me of this problem back in the late '90's, but the city's hands were tied due to activists complaints about thinning out the herd back then.

quote:

Kagan says when he took over wildlife management on Belle Isle it was believed that the deer population was out of control, numbering as many as 400, eating everything in sight, supplementing their diets with unhealthful human food and occasionally causing car accidents. Kagan estimates that a healthy, sustainable deer population should be about 50. The Detroit Audubon Society passed a resolution last year encouraging a reduction in the deer numbers because they were ravishing the island’s vegetation, damaging bird habitats. State officials were concerned because Michigan deer were testing positive for tuberculosis.

Kagen says all of the nearly 400 deer on Belle Isle have been captured by Detroit Zoo staff. The deer were tested and about 80 suspected of carrying TB were euthanatized. The rest were given birth control (the males were neutered). Now it’s hoped that the deer will naturally reduce in numbers through attrition.

“I really think it’s remarkable that we trapped them all. There are no deer running wild on the island,” he says. “There was great concern that the deer were destroying the entire habitat. The island is a wonderful habitat for the deer. They have no predators, no hunting, lots of deer that breed, they were destroying all the vegetation.”

Placing the deer in a zoo setting is preferable for the deer and for island visitors, he says.

“The public shouldn’t see deer in an uncontrolled way. We want the public to see the deer, so they are only fed healthy, natural food. We certainly know people aren’t experts on deer nutrition.”

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=6299

(you may have to use the cached version of this article off of Google)

Retroit

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds, thanks. I wonder, since when did the city become ruled by activists? You'd think there would have already been some plan in place for keeping the herd population under control. Deer have been on the island for how many years? And they're only recently overpopulating?

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw some pretty unhealthy looking deer out there at lunch today.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, as much as I miss the deer it would probably be better for them all to go to brown city rather than watch them die a detroit death.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.