Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Belle Isle Slide « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went down the slide for the first time today, and really hurt myself. I sprained my ankle and bruised my tail bone. Always wanted to go on it, but it would've been more enjoyable had I not injured myself. Maybe I wasn't sitting correctly. I hurt.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 545
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How in the hell did you do that? Hope you feel better.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, sorry to hear that. I did it about 10 times last summer without injury. did you go face first or something?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, next time don't go down it facing backward with your eyes closes and your hands tied behind you back!

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since many of us rode that thing for the first time for a nickel when we were five or six or seven, (it was a nickel well in to the 90's, then they raised it to a quarter), you may have suffered from a condition that is commonly referred to as "BEING WAY TOO OLD" Did you first practice at the spiral slide across the street? Did you brush-up on the swing-set? You can't expect to hike up 68 stairs, grab a burlap sack, and plunk your 23, 32 or 40 year old ass on the outside ramp on a five story launch pad without taking a few bumps and bruises can you? Some people's children.....

Next time, treat one of those kids (and his little sister) from the 2000 degree aluminum slide and get some pointers before you attempt such foolishness!! Do you have a brain?? Do you plan on using it??

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2861
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenay! I feel for you! Hope the ankle isn't too bad...just relax those bumps and bruises this weekend.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 706
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got any spare Vicoden? :-)

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That slide is still open? I would've thought it had been long shut down due to lawsuits caused by people sliding down headfirst or backwards with eyes closed and hands tied behind their backs.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went down that slide when it was first open. I am sure I was 20 at least. I would like to do it again but thanks for the reminder to keep my feet up. Last slide I went down was in a western club in Dallas a few years ago, and I won a prize for sliding the farthest after reaching the ground level. It was only a one story slide though.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I went down the slide for the first time today, and really hurt myself. I sprained my ankle and bruised my tail bone. Always wanted to go on it, but it would've been more enjoyable had I not injured myself. Maybe I wasn't sitting correctly. I hurt."

I had a similar experience. Went down the slide and hurt everything on my body. :-(

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy for the win! I wouldn't think of going on that thing now. :-)

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They tore down the old one about 5 years ago and replaced it with a new and improved one. Grab your helmet.

Retroit

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1-800-CALL-SAM

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went down the slide two years ago and hurt my then 44-year old tailbone. My workmate, in his 30's, burned himself because he didn't hang on to the burlap tight enough. That slide was great in 1968 though, for a 7-year old body!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7915
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should there be one of those bars at this attraction that says if you're above this particular height you should NOT be riding it?

Retroit

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck, I wouldn't even consider going down the 5' high slide at the local playground for fear of spraining my ankle or bruising my tailbone!

What were you thinking Jenay, and how old are you? You might want to think of alternate destinations for your nursing home's field trips!

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember one summer, '69 maybe ,they had one of those giant slides on woodward across from the Zoo

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 456
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh please... to old for a slide? Try working out a little more for goodness sakes (not you Jenay, I feel for you, but have no idea how you managed that).

If a little kid can hold on... then you should be just fine. And bumps and bruises? Sheesh!

These are the kind of responses you'd expect from the most unfit city in the U.S.... Just kidding guys :-)

Edit: While we're on the topic, do they still open the water slide at the Belle Isle Beach? How about the Swan Boats?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on May 24, 2008)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2364
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are giving thought to filing suit, you might first text message the City Law Department, as that seems to alert them quicker than receiving a Summons and Complaint.

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to answer the question, I'm almost 30... but a kid at heart!

Retroit

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as you're young at heart, you'll last a long time! Just take it easy with things that go downhill fast!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those slides are for suckers.
Not enough enjoyment coming down to outweigh all the effort it takes to climb up.
It needs an escalator.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 464
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it has more to do with your bodies age. AKA; the way you feel. That can be changed and fixed via working out and such.

Don't feel bad. Many of your fellow citizens are probably just as bad. I'm probably doing worse than you myself. I supposedly "feel" OVER twice my age right now.

:-(

I'm trying to fix it though. But it is hard!

I like doing that stuff. I want to be able to ride the Belle Isle slide when I'm 40. It's so much fun. If I can't do all that stuff, then what's the point?

With a healthy life style (and it is a life style, not just another diet) the AVERAGE person should be able to live until 100. The maximum is about 120. I mean think about all the medical advancements they have right now. Even as young as I am, I've seen people die from things a couple decades ago that they now have cures and treatment for. Right now it's all luck if your healthy. I mean, even hearts are becoming replaceable.

That is why I laugh at comments made by sixty or seventy year olds who are so sure they are about to kick the bucket. They act as though they are already dead. There was a local Detroit business owner that came into my High School Business Careers Class back when I was in High School to give a speech. He told a story about a man he once knew who retired when he was about 55. A couple years later his wife died. Not long after he was seen at The Coleman Young Municipal Center in a line. A friend saw him and walked over and told him how sorry he was about his wife. He then asked how he was enjoying his final days of life. The man was offended.

He replied; "I miss my wife so much. But there are so many things in life I wanted to do. Instead I chose to marry her, and I don't regret it. While I look forward to seeing her again, my life is not over yet".

The line the man was standing in line for was the line to get a DBA business name. He was opening a business. That business would eventually take him around the world, and make him him very rich. The man died just shy of 120 at age 117. It turned out he had only lived half of his life back when he retired.

Why are so many waiting to die? They could be waiting half there lives, just fearing death. Death is nothing compared to what one can lose by waiting for it. You older folks here have twice the knowledge and experience I do. Why aren't you using it?

I don't mean to be disrespectful of anyone by saying that. In fact, I envy the possibilities that lay before you. I on the other hand am young, and have a lot of muck to wade through before I get that kind of opportunity. I may never even reach it. Even if you're certain death is just around the corner, you'd be surprised how much you can do in that little piece of time.

Just remember, your life isn't over until it's over. It's never to late. Then of course... what do I know? I'm just a young nobody who is repeating what my elders have been teaching me. Maybe I'm just living a delusion? At 120 the brain starts to go. Everything up to that point is fixable or even replaceable. Why waste time getting ready to die? What is important is not to waste even one second of life.

Sigh... I need to take my own advice a little more sometimes... I know. It's easier said than done. But that really isn't the point.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know about this year, but last year we went to the beach and my daughter went on the water slides.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 469
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the water at the beach safe? I'm asked that all the time, and don't have an answer.

Answered my own question: http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Departments/CommunicationsandCreativeServices/PressReleases/tabid/576/ctl/Details/mid/1362/Default.aspx?NewsArticleId=40

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on May 24, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.