Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Movement 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 495
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am planning on going to the festival tomorrow. Can you buy tickets at the entrance? Who else is going?

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll be there ... you can get a day pass there for $25 i think. hoping to catch dead mau5!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.myspace.com/detroit musicfest

If presale passes are still available online, it's 20/day and 40/ 3 day pass. Otherwise it's 25/day and 50/ 3 day pass, and (if it's the same set up as last year) tickets are for sale to the left of Hart Plaza. I can't wait! I'll definitely be there Sunday and Monday night

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a movement this morning.

Alley

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's what my husband says, both in the morning, and about the techno festival :-)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 614
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking the same thing as Downriviera. Hey wait, that reminds me of another good joke ...

I saw this scrawled on the wall of a Detroit public restroom: "Flush twice, it's a long way down river."

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2400
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would go simply to see if I can spot some ravers girls on X but damn they want $25!?! Thats a bit too much for me.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What festival is occurring tomorrow?

Also, I agree with Downriviera, these thread titles gets worse by the day. :-)

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$25??? You can have a good movement for the price of a box of Raisin Bran.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Techno Festival today through Monday. Do they charge for the other festivals now too?

$25 is a bit much isn't it?

This is the first one I've been to in a couple years.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$25 is nothing. Compare it to a concert that costs $40 for two bands. You get 30 performers for $25. Suck it up and support Detroit or sit at home and jerk off.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 548
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is really pretty cheap. Shit, how much were the Rolling Stones?? almost 100. Its an all day event too, not just 2 1/2 hours. Not really my thing but I might enjoy it if I could find some fungus.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 452
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that was uncalled for. I don't mind paying a little, just seems a little high. I know it's an awesome event. But techno concerts and festivals usually aren't as expensive as the performances of other genres. Just saying, it better be top notch for that price.

Are there really 30 performances on each stage and day? There is four stages right?

On a side note, if anyone is going on Monday, and wants to meet up, post in the Connect section of this site.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7900
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the price of seeing some of those individual artists play, the price of Movement's pretty darn cheap comparatively. Besides where else are you going to see this many of the techno gods playing all at one venue?

$25 is a bargain, Sean. It really is for the level of musicians you're gonna be able to see.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind that several new genres were inspired by a a handful of artists that had enough balls to defy the mainstream and seek the "cross-over" crowd.....20 years ago. Hip hop was defined. Popular music redefined. The listeners in the margins became a legitimate force, not just for the electronic scene but all sorts of music...in spite of commercial radio's refusal to recognize them.

The result, radio advertising is way down, diversity non-existent. Yet people still search out, and find what they want to hear, not just in an abandoned Packard plant, but millions of times a day at the magic box you're currently staring at.

And I'm not talking just "techno,"prep-music," "house," "electro" or anything in the 'electronica' vein. All sorts of music have benefitted, and many more created. Thank the handful of Detroit, Chicago, New York, and Miami dj's who made it possible.

And don't forget the ELECTRIFYIN' MOJO.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7904
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May the Electrifyin' Mojo's Midnight Funk Association live on!

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you present your MFA card at MOVEMENT, you should get in for free.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just went there Saturday and for my first time, the festival itself it's really nice and the music also.....but them raver girls makes thing EVEN hotter!WOOOOOO(doing Ric Flair's shout)
But my main disappointed is the price to get in.
$25 bucks for one day and 50 for all 3 days!! WTF!?!
I hope they change them sh*ty prices for next year.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good show. Wish they could find a way to make it free again.

Not because I don't want to pay...

But because of the new people who would just stop by to check it out. That's why the free thing was so great. It sparked interest.

Maybe we can get some companies to "pay" for us to keep that going.

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on May 27, 2008)

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went Sunday night and checked out the Beatport and Myspace stages from the Riverwalk. Could hear everything perfectly without paying to get in.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I went Sunday night and checked out the Beatport and Myspace stages from the Riverwalk. Could hear everything perfectly without paying to get in.

I did the same lol, I was thinking it would be cool if a bunch of folks started jamming on the RW for free.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 3-day $40 passes were available for purchase until 10:00pm Friday night.

I spent Saturday and Sunday afternoon/evening there. I feel it was well worth the price.

- The event's future doesn't appear to be in jeopardy any more - it's now sustainable (though to be confirmed).
- Preliminary attendance figures placed this year's 2-day count higher than last year's total.
- The bigger budget lead to bigger sound, bigger stages, and more lights.
- Some might disagree - but the big acts like Moby and Girltalk were a big positive and drew in a lot of people. Moby's DJ set may go down as my favorite performance of all time at the festival.

I can't wait until Movement 2009.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only went for a portion of Saturday & I think $25 was definitely worth it. There's such an incredible energy, everyone wants to be your friend ;) I must have made friends with 30 new people dancing to Moby in the bowl. I am absolutely going next year.

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew it was a good time for sure!

Yeah it was a bargain. Consider that the Minus/Contakt afterparty/concert was about $35-40 at St. Andrews on Saturday night, but most of the artists there had played the festival or would be playing the next day at the Beatport Stage!

Such a good time for sure!

To be honest, kind of glad it's fee-only entrance now. Keeps out a lot of riff-raff. The friends I had who couldn't afford it just volunteered for 6 hours during the day and got in for free.

Out of all the drugs present at the festival, I think the most obnoxious and unfriendly people were drunk.

Uptown
Username: Uptown

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went both Sunday and Monday. Carl Craig's closing set on Sunday brought true Detroit old school techno music back to the forefront. This year's Movement festival brought alot of mainstream national talent that diverged away from the previous years. But when it mattered, the true Detroit talent showed the outsiders what real Detroit sound is.

This festival is paramount to the continued growth of downtown and the city in general. It is a young AND old audience, that crosses every race barrier and background. Everyone is joined in one common goal: Detroit music. True, the festival is not free, but I gladly pay to support the festival, as you can see where the money is going (more impressive stages, lighting, atmosphere).

My only complaint is the "green" areas that they wanted to emphasize. The foot traffic on the green areas made alot of mud and dust. But all in all, a great representation of what Detroit is, can be, and will become if Detroit is able to target DIVERSITY, which is sorely lacking in the city and it's leadership.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Out of all the drugs present at the festival, I think the most obnoxious and unfriendly people were drunk."

usually the case.
there is a Streets song about the drunk vs the stoner that really says it all

Downriviera

Post Number: 517
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need to get Brian Eno there, he was doing this stuff in the 70's.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt that, Downriviera, seeing as how techno was first "created" in the mid 1980's.

Downriviera

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The word techno was created in the 80's, but sampling, tape loops, noise, etc was experimented with before that. Sure, they've taken it to a new level as technology has advanced, but the roots of this goes back to Eno and Kraftwork, and these guys do site those influences. But the current crop is breaking new ground for sure.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eno was doing a lot of ambient electronic stuff in the 70s.

Mikea
Username: Mikea

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazootyman, I have to agree. I also picked up a weekend pass for $40 at Record Time a few weeks before the fest. We spent Saturday from about 4-midnight and the same timeframe Sunday down there and it was worth EVERY penny for Moby and Richie Hawtin's sets alone. Throw in Echospace, Zip, Deadmau5 and it just was an amazing weekend of music.

I think this is the way to go with this festival. Like someone else mentioned, it kept some of the riff raff out, it brought in some bigger names and increased the overall presentation of the whole festival.

And I am biased as I have been a huge Moby fan for years but even I was surprised at his set and the crowd's reaction. I have seen this man live many times from tiny clubs to the bug outdoor Area festivals he put on years back and he puts on an amazing, energetic live show. Never did I think he could almost duplicate the energy of his full band live shows with a DJ set. Great opening it with the nod to Detroit with Inner City's "Good Life" and his set was fantastic in my opinion. The scene in the bowl was amazing, he had the entire bowl in the palm of his hand.

I was bummed I missed Carl Craig's set but I could not pry myself away from the master that is Richie Hawtin. The guy is amazing.

Can't wait til next year!

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going back to one of the earlier posts here, the reason it is so expensive now (and I am the FIRST person to comment on the fact that it USED to be free) is because once upon a time the festival almost went bankrupt. Enter Paxahau Events, which completely revitalized the festival and started bringing in top-name talent like, well, MOBY. And these people need to get paid. For example, Bob Sinclair just played V at MGM Grand this same weekend. He got paid $40,000 for a 4-hour set. Granted, most of these acts aren't making quite that much, but you still have to multiply by 75+...plus this festival is also one of Detroit's biggest annual claims to fame, drawing in people from ALL OVER THE WORLD (I heard more foreign languages there than I did at the SAE's British Consulate party). So. Though I am most certainly THE FIRST to say "WTF?" about the prices, there is good reason for it.

Alley

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, having to pay weeds out a lot of the riff raff and homeless people, which makes things more pleasant for those who are really into the festival. Now, if we could just get rid of those 'Roseville Ravers' lol

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, yeah the candy ravers are definitely just fun for people watching purposes.

Somehow I still managed to see a homeless guy hanging out at the soundmurderer set on sunday. I'll assume they laxed security towards the end.

By the way, the entrance security people are really dumb. I mean, it's no surprise, but the fact that they make you dump out your water but then provide you with no information about where to refill your bottles etc is criminal.

Chitaku, there's a few great rants by Bill Hicks on the subject.

Alley

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I managed to smuggle a bottle of cabernet in my diaper bag. Here's a good trick for parents of small children who are taking the family to an event and might want to RESPONSIBLY enjoy a tasty beverage without paying 7-9 dollars per sanctioned concession. I find that if you roll up a couple clean diapers to look as though they're dirty, whatever pocket you store them in will NOT get checked. LOL

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.