Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Roostertail - All You Ever Wanted to Know « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4807
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received an email Roostertail owner Jerry Schoenith announcing his comprehensive website on that legendary Detroit venue.

http://www.mydetroitstory.com/

This is a delightful and deep collection of images and memories jam packed with great historical pictures of this site which has been a topic of many discussions here.

Enjoy and share your thoughts.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3158
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos on that web site. Only was at the Roostertail two or three times, but they were memorable visits.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked there as a waiter in the late 80's. I didnt care for Tom Schoenith at all, & truthfully he gave me the creeps. I remember serving a table down by the river near a window when I saw a huge rat scurrying around just outside the window. I hoped like hell the people eating at the table didnt see it!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 497
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been a river rat.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah!

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worked there for several summers. The place is run like a concentration camp. All the hours you want with none of the overtime. Go figure.

Great place to meet people and see some pretty interesting parties. Pretty good money if you make yourself resourceful to the management. If you don't, it's bye-bye when fall comes.

I liked it. I hated it. What can I say, it's a typical job. I looked at the site for a moment. Looks neat.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 369
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW - it's not uncommon to see rats outside near any old building in the D.

Now if you saw bigfoot running around in the fountains..............

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of rats,I
Remember going to some function as a kid,down at the Veterans memorial bldg,at the river, There were some Coast Guard boats, as I remember tied up along the wall. Blew my mind to see big rats crawling out and back and forth along the ropes that held the ship to the wall.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a wedding back in the '70s at the Roostertail, and as we were walking in, a big, fat juicy rat ran in front of us. I almost broke my neck tripping on my high heels.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jc: Hung out at the Roostertail in the late 60's - and saw the Supremes make their first appearance at the Roostertail - NO rats running around that evening ....

Jcole

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61, I'm not knocking the Roostertail. It's a great Detroit institution.
As someone else said, I think it's a given that where ever there is a large body of water and old buildings, you're going to get rats. They live on ships in the cargo holds, coming from other places. That's how Bubonic plague got spread around in Europe.
NO, I"M NOT SAYING WE'RE GOING TO GET THE PLAGUE.

(Message edited by jcole on May 24, 2008)

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cooley had their prom at the Roostertail last night. Wonderful event! Kids all looked great and the decorations (which the Roostertail provides) were wonderful. They purchased all the old movie-star photos from the MGM and had them displayed. Very elegant evening and the service was great, too.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, my thoughts ...

Well my first thought is I'm pretty sure Jerry Schoenith isn't the owner of the Roostertail.

Jcole

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's now owned by Michael and John Schoenith, who I assume are either Tom or Jerry's sons.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom's.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the seventies we used to go to the Roostertail events called the Palm River Club, very thirties very retro. The Roostertail was always the local hub for hydroplane racing. Its named for the hugh waves created by the airplane engines in the boats called roostertails.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to the Roostertail dozens of times over the years. I've never had a bad time or an unpleasant experience there, it's a great spot. Can't say the same for a lot of other well known places around town.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.