Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Whats being filmed at at the Masonic . « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone, anyone?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hitler Sings the Motown Hits"

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 12181
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know specifically, however, a liberal lapse of judgment recently made Michigan financially attractive for filmmakers and 13 projects were slotted to be started. One would think there is an important lesson to be learned for the Democrats here.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ccbatson - What are you doing on this side of DY ?

Are you really from the area, or are they just rumors?

Django

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont beat around the bush cC, just come out and say it, I have no idea what it is, but go ahead.

Im just trying to find out whats being filmed. My roommate wanted to know.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He did a quick edit. OK, now it's about the liberals again. It must be new territory for him here.

Django

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb, you mean me right? You must. Yes I am new here. sort of. I made a statement I regretted, I edited it after seeing what cc had to say about Ted Kennedy.

(Message edited by django on May 22, 2008)

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor is because of the architecture, will be a mid-evil period movie, kings, and knights and that sort of stuff. But just a rumor.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's only a rumor at this point but cool.

Django

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know of a website or something where we could find out what productions are happening around Michigan? Im really excited about all this. I hope to be an extra someday in a major motion picture. Its my silly little dream.

Django

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treble, My roommate was saying that hollywood might have a hard time filming inside the Masonic due to the Masons code, Im not sure. I wonder if they were filming inside?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a good place to start.

http://www.imdb.com/List?endin gs=on&&locations=Detroit,%20Mi chigan,%20USA&&heading=18;with+locations+including;Detr oit,%20Michigan,%20USA

Gumby

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just cut and paste the link.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here go some that I found so far

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt09 69292/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt08 48553/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt08 00145/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt08 71438/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt11 43122/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt04 41799/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt04 78318/

Gumby

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a short list of what I could find
Approaching Midnight
The Job
Kadillac Kings
Marvin: The Life Story of Marvin Gaye
Mulligans
Nevermore

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Treble, My roommate was saying that hollywood might have a hard time filming inside the Masonic due to the Masons code, Im not sure. I wonder if they were filming inside?"

Considering that the courtroom scene from the 1961 film Judgement at Nuremberg was filmed at the Temple it is possible. As a matter of fact the scene was filmed in the English Tudor Room, former home of Phoenicia Lodge No. 531 among others.

Django

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn, I didnt know that, Ill pass it on, thats interesting. Snowbanks understanding of the Masons is that they were pretty secretive. Thought it would be tough getting in there. I have no idea personally. Thanks again for that bit.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey CC,

The bill actually passed the senate with only 1 senator voting against it. It had widespread bipartisan support.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6868
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Masonic Temple has a lot of very unique lodges and public spaces in various historical styles... Romanesque, Egyptian, Neoclassic, Gothic, etc., that are excellent sites for movies.

And then there's the ruins of the MCS and former Michigan Theatre, which have been in several movies.

In fact, I told Michigan Building owner Tony Pieroni that he should market his "great false window" to movie producers, as well as the cavernous remains of the theatre. From the street the great arched window doesn't look like all that much, but from the inside it looks like the Palace of Versailles meets Buck Rogers in the 25th Century!

The 40 foot tall chamber took my breath away when I saw it from the inside for the first time...

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Whithorn, I didnt know that, Ill pass it on, thats interesting. Snowbanks understanding of the Masons is that they were pretty secretive. Thought it would be tough getting in there. I have no idea personally. Thanks again for that bit."

Yes, they have secrets like any other fraternities and sororities. However, they are NOT a secret society. The officers of the lodge are basically public knowledge. The annual installation of officers are public events unless the incoming Worshipful Master decides to have it closed, which is not common for Detroit craft lodges.

The Detroit Masonic Temple was constructed with the idea it would serve as a public building and civic showplace for the City of Detroit.

Finally, in the past problems with vandalism at some rock concerts occurred. Unfortunately, enough people did damage with swords and body armor. The Masonic Temple has had reluctance at times about the types of concert crowds they wanted in the building.

Basically, as long as people behave themselves they have no problems with visitors.

Django

Post Number: 534
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha, Thanks for the info, I really didnt know myself, and will pass it on. I should have thought about the question before I asked, I think I was more interested in showing my roommate snowbank the power of the DY.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit area doesn't have the businesses to support filming here, such as wardrobe shops, special FX houses and such. But guess what, due to the new incentive, such new companies are already being formed, including a new studio and editing facilities.

That is, this incentives is creating businesses and work for the people in the Detroit area. (Plus electricians, carpenters, caterers etc.)

I'm trying to figure out what kind of business I might start to support the film industry while they're in town. For now, I'm just working as Brad Pitt's body double.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Article about "The Job"

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080523/COL 27/805230356

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6876
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For now, I'm just working as Brad Pitt's body double.

That's a coincidence, I just got a job as Angelina Jolie's masseuse.

Django

Post Number: 535
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Space, Its so funny you said that cause I was thinkin the same thing. Possibly working with scouts finding cool areas to shoot or something. I have no idea how to go about it though. Im also doing Marlon Brandos imitation body double, the later years.

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt04 03702/

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2753
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"wardrobe shops, special FX houses and such."

Film productions bring that stuff with - as evidenced during The Island.

As far as editing and film crew support - check out Grace and Wild in Farmington Hills; thats where the huge lighting rig trucks and generators all come from. They also have state of the art Avid, Ice and Flame editing suites, which produce FX for all manner of hollywood and MTV productions. Largest sound stage in the midwest.

Dont be selling the area short cause you dont know whats here. We make more than axles and SUVs.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6890
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yessian Music, with studios in Royal Oak and Farmington, do a lot of professional sound work nationwide. It will be interesting to see if they get any work from these films.

http://www.yessian.com/

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met a woman a few weeks ago who was doing casting for the new version of "the Saint." She said exterior filming would be in hungary, but interior filming was mostly in Detroit. She listed a few buildings including the Masonic Temple and the Fisher/Hare Krishna building as filming locations.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 612
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For example, one of the TV news programs showed a business that was interviewing people who wanted to get on a list to be movie extras when a movie came to town (that's one business started).

Another guy was selling headshots to the extras. There's another business started, or an extension for a photographer.

Django

Post Number: 543
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id love to get on that list for extras. Would be pretty cool to get paid to be in a major motion pic. Any other details you can remember Space?

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 708
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a casual warning- Extra work can really suck sometimes. The last few I worked on were cool, but there were some crazy long days on Flash of Genius and The Love Guru was awful. I mean really crappy; get to a shuttle bus across town at 5 am, arrive in Oshawa (an hour's drive along the 401), and stay in the G.M. Centre for up to 20 hours. The crew and union extras love the overtime, the rest of us were at 10$ an hour minus a buck for the agent's 10%. Some days the shuttle got us back literally 2-3 hours before the next day's shoot! I was between jobs (trying to stay away from the furniture business after 8+ years) so the extra work really saved me at the time. However, the hours are really long and the pay is crappy.
The food is free, which some folks love, but said free food is almost always Extra (aka Background) food- wonder bread & peanut butter, non-potable coffee, and the odd bowl of fruit or digestive cookies which get snapped up and hoarded like we were in Poland, circa 1963. Crew food on the other hand is usually pretty damn good, and if you're on a small set, there is a chance everyone will get the same good food. People are nicer on smaller sets too.
"Love Guru" must have shot 1000 hours of crowd footage-we were hockey fans in L.A. (Oshawa's GM Centre) and Maple Leaf fans (Toronto's ACC as itself).
Some Extras can be pretty funny too- for the same low pay, they'll bring portable wardrobes and discuss film stars they 'worked with' as if they know each other.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 538
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Considering that the courtroom scene from the 1961 film Judgement at Nuremberg was filmed at the Temple it is possible. As a matter of fact the scene was filmed in the English Tudor Room, former home of Phoenicia Lodge No. 531 among others.

I tried looking up this information, but couldn't find any info. In the DVD extras, the director's wife said all the interior scenes were done on a sound stage in Hollywood.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its mentioned in the Images of America book about the Temple. I don't know if you consider that a reliable source. I know that where the Master sits in the English Tudor Room during a lodge meeting was used for the witnesses during the movie.

Their are some lodge members from that era still alive and living in the Detroit area that remember it. I will ask someone who was a member of Phoenicia back then. Unfortunately, my relatives that were active in the lodge in 1960-61 are gone. However, it wasn't considered a big deal because many "famous" people have been in that building.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 539
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do hope it's true.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Four young people navigate the suburban wonderland of metro-Detroit looking for love and adventure on the last weekend of summer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt11 74042/

Tetsua

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt11 40752/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt11 99444/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt10 42878/
quote:

A research scientist named John Blanchard, posing as a homeless man, is on the run from the DEA. They're after a special medical marijuana plant that he created, which can treat illnesses. He later bumps into a pot-smoking couple, Swazi and Kaya. Later they band together, with other activists across the city, to get the plant out of town before Agent Zamora and the DEA steals it to sell on the black market.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt10 45769/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt11 89382/

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 541
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure this has been posted, but, yes, The Job is being filmed at the Masonic right now.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Variety, Beverly Hills Cop 4 is coming in 2010. Hopefully they will take advantage of the tax credits and film downtown.

http://www.variety.com/article /VR1117986558.html?categoryid= 13&cs=1

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2804
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey CC,

The bill actually passed the senate with only 1 senator voting against it. It had widespread bipartisan support.

Yeah, well, CC has never been one to let facts get in the way of rant.

Oh, and let's also not forget that the whole film incentive package was spearheaded in the House by a Republican.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the different architectural styles in town, Detroit could look like anything from Victorian to modern times. It would be smart to film period pieces here.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the recent announcement of Eddie Murphy doing a BH Cop 4 (slated for summer 2010 release), let's hope they shoot some scenes here, unlike the third installment (debacle) that was shot 100% in Cali.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a movie being filmed in Ferndale right now, rumored to be about a suicidal gay boy. They were shooting at Ferndale High School this week, and other locations around the Ferndale area, including Drayton Avenue Presbyterian Church. They're supposed to film some footage at the pride festival this weekend too. Anyone know anything about this film?

Tetsua

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SciFi flick just posted on IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt12 38772/

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently the movie folks have invaded part of Wixom as well.

My friend was telling me that they've setup shop with a bunch of trailers and tents, with security and other people milling around everywhere in a grocery store parking lot off of Wixom Rd.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over the weekend I had a gig at an unnamed yet obvious hotel and Steve Buscemi was there. They said that Sigourney Weaver was also staying there that night but I didn't see her.

Django

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive got to say, Im just really down with this tax incentives for hollywood. This seems like pure gold for Michigan. Is thee a downside that I dont see or havnt heard of? It seems like this is only the start of money comming in.

Im all eyes (ears)

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the movie being filmed in Ferndale I inquired about above, it's called "Prayers for Bobby", starring Sigourney Weaver.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: The movie filming in Wixom.

Micheal Cera was spotted there today, so I guess this is the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt04 03702/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.