Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Honeybee Market « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I saw a thread here at one time about this subject, but I can't find it again, so here goes.
I went to the Honeybee Market for the first time yesterday, and their medium hot salsa and their chips are OUTRAGEOUS. I think I'm addicted already.
The market itself is really nice. Lots of produce, reasonable prices, and everything you could possibly want to cook a great Latino meal.
I bought fresh tortillas, and enchilada sauce in the large cans, as well as the chips and salsa, refried beans, a few other odds and ends and, of course, a Coke in the glass bottle, made with real sugar, and got out of there for about twenty bucks. I will be returning as often as I need a salsa fix, and I'm afraid that will be often.
Thanks to whoever mentioned the salsa and chips before.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go when they have the fresh guacamole and chips, eat as many free samples as you can without embarrassing yourself, and then buy some of both. The guacamole is outstanding.

While you're in the neighborhood stop by the Cafe Con Leche coffee shop at the end of Bagley in the new Mercado. A really nice place and good coffee.

Jcole

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I think I will be going down next Wednesday so, I'll try that then. I also went to the Mexican Town Bakery yesterday on Vernor. I can't believe how many pastries you can get for six dollars. And delicious.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear... that stuff has black tar in it.

Jcole

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. It's unbelievable. Just enough heat to be exciting, but not enough to cause pain. Fresh, cool and crisp. No chemical aftertaste, and the fresh pepper smell starts the party.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get the mexican coca cola,its great.its the same recipi as the old coca cola. You will know what i mean, after your first sip!

Jcole

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn, I know. I had already downed the first one by the time I went to the Bakery, so I bought another. It's chillin' in the fridge to drink later with another treat that I bought at the Honeybee. I hadn't seen Barbequed Fritos in about 30 years, so I had to have a bag of those, too.
I'll let you know if those taste like I remember.

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honeybee is great for sure! If you catch the right day they have the $1 produce stuff that's ready to be used that day. So I can get 5 avocados ready to be used that day for guac for a buck!

What do you mean about Mexican Coca Cola? That they use real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup or that it has the "old" ingredient? The old ingredient would make it illegal so I doubt that.

Jcole

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No coca leaves in the Coke. Real sugar instead of the high fructose stuff

Pgn421

Post Number: 591
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, tastes great

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmm I'm going to have to check into that! I lived in Brazil for a while and noticed that I could actually drink the coke there! I'll bet it's the same reason!

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend bought me an entire case of Mexican coke for my birthday. It was by far the best gift Ive ever gotten. The taste is head and shoulders above the stuff we get. Apparently Coke has been trying for years to ban the import of coke with cane sugar from Mexico into the US.
http://www2.eluniversal.com.mx /pls/impreso/noticia.html?id_n ota=6728&tabla=miami

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But what do you do with the bottles? The Spartan Store won't take them back. I feel so guilty about not recycling them! However, I agree - a way better (sharper) taste and better for you because high fructose corn syrup, which is in virtually every prepared food now, is thought to be one of the producers of increasing American obesity. So even though I feel guilty about the bottles, I feel virtuous about the pop!

Jcole

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, sure, now that I discovered it, they want to ban it.
I normally don't drink any pop, I'm strictly unsweetened Iced Tea, but I could get used to the Coke real quick. I may have to try some of the other imports. I drank pop as a kid, back before fructose syrup and quit after 'New' Coke.

Jcole

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't you just recycle them with the rest of the glass jars and bottles you normally recycle with the garbage?

Jcole

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I don't live in the city, so I guess I don't know if you have recycling. I'm just making an assumption.
Do you know anyone in the suburbs that you could save them up and let them recycle?

Vanessam
Username: Vanessam

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

honey bee = <3 in my tummy.. go buy peppers, portobellos, pepper jack, salsa, tortillas

around valentines day they have heart shaped chips

homemade guacamole

horchata, and/or modello

and have a little feast. yummm.....

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About banning Mexican Coca Cola: Coke bottlers have strict territory rights. Mexican Coke (bottled in Mexico) infringes on the local guy's territory. So, Coke is pretty strict about letting Mexican Coke be sold in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure that all the Mexican Coke we see is contraband black market stuff.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've seen it more and more lately

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the coke that I've seen here in the city has been of the Columbian variety.

I think Beavis is the one to ask though.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 517
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt see on here where the honeybee mkt is? Im dyin to try this mexican coke.

Jcole

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's on Bagley between 16th and 17th. If you go, make sure to buy some fresh salsa to go with that Coke. You won't be sorry.

Pgn421

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

then go to Evies Tamales , they are out of this world. Vernor and 24th

Jcole

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just looked at my bottle of Mexican/Columbian Coke and there is a Michigan .10 deposit notation on the label, so they must take them somewhere around here.
also, it would seem odd that they would be illegal if there is deposit paid back on them.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first rule about Mexican Coke, DON'T TALK ABOUT MEXICAN COKE! Seriously guys, I've been drinking this stuff for awhile, and if word gets out and they ban it we're all in trouble. So keep it on the downlow, and recycle those bottles.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.