Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Alderman from the early 20th century and other historical questions... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 870
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who were the early alderman of the 20th century? I have heard that my great grandfather was one but am unable to substantiate it thus far. Also where would the papers on Providence hospital be housed? Also History of John Drew who I believe was one of the early editors of the Detroit News.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check the names index at the Burton Collection, Main Branch, Detroit Public Library, Woodward at Kirby.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 871
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I need to get over to the Burton. Just wondering if there are any listings in Polk Guides or other info that forumers may have so I go there with a slightly narrowed search.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wikpedia says:
The city charter of 1883 changed the name of the body to the Board of Aldermen. A few years earlier in 1881, a separately elected ten-person body named Board of Councilmen (also called the City Council), was established. This body was abolished in 1887.

19th century maybe, who was your great grandfather?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 872
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gustav McClellan, he was a surgeon for Providence.

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on May 22, 2008)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now there's a challenge. What time period are we speaking about? I've looked at a lot of source documents, Burton's history of Detroit, etc. Google Books has a lot of things, Book of Detroiters, that sort, from around 1922, but no reference of him.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind.

Gustave L McClellan , 1920 Census. Age 36, Father Born in Ireland Mother in NY State. Physician, but works in a Doctor's Office. Obviously your guy.

Article mentioning him as president of
http://www.chestjournal.org/cg i/issue_pdf/frontmatter_pdf/10 /5.pdf

Page 467 mentions him as president of the College Chapter from Michigan.

Not what you need obviously, but will keep looking around.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 873
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that Townonenorth, very cool stuff.

Now John Drew was my Great Great grandfather any info on him. I believe he has some affiliation with the Detroit News.

Yeah I checked my Burtons and couldn't find him in there. I know Gustav lived on West Grand where MLK park is.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2587 West Grand Blvd to be exact.

There's a Drew living with him in 1920, Looks line Jane, but can't be sure. Bad Handwriting. She was 70.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Daily Union was started by journeyman printers after a strike in 1865 Its original owners were John Drew Wm F Moore James B Spinning M.H. Marsh Robert Bichan and Beecher Skinner It was sold in June 1872 to John Atkinson Thomas D Hawley Richard Hawley Alex D Fowler and others It was discontinued in 1874 and its circulation was absorbed by the Evening News 258,784,176&source=bookclip,La ndmarks of Detroit; a History of the City By Robert Budd Ross, George Byron Catlin, Clarence Monroe Burton

Townonenorth

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Drew was, in the 1900 census, living on 338 Fourth Street, in Detroit. He was a printer by trade, which points to the same person above.
Born January 1843 in Ireland.
His wife Jane born Dec. 1846 in NY
Children Mary A, Alfonso, Joseph E. And Julia W.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 874
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder would 338 fourth street be where the Lodge went in and was part of corktown...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think was right around Howard St. ... I have some old dead relatives that lived on third as well. yep, drunken Irish.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.