Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Warren 'drug' bust « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 759
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the news today Warren police commissioner William Dwyer sounded like a commentator of a 1930's drug scare film using terms such as 'narcotics' and 'drugs' used by 'kids' (teenagers) Father mother and son are accused of
growing and selling weed from their home. This newscast could have appeared 20 years ago and we will be viewing the same info twenty years from now. I recall the parking lot at Flint Southwestern at smoke break time (smoking in the parking lot was tolerated then) weed was openly dealed with a young couple that used to pull up in the parking lot and deal right out of the car.
Anyways, over a hundred sellers and users have been busted in the 'crackdown' It would be interesting to know how much money the city is going to make from fines.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 505
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not as much as there going to be paying out putting them up in the county.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three more losers going to jail. I'm glad they are off the streets (and outta the hallways).

Well done Warren PD!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4341
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in junior high (30 years ago) one of my friends started selling joints at school $1 each - she got it from her mom (who was a cop).

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 668
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark, we get it. You think everyone who smokes, grows or sells pot is a "loser." You can stop posting the same damn thing on every pot-related thread.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 762
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many intellectual articulate men and women who smoke marijuana. There are some who smoke the stuff and lose memory. The weed affects everyone differently. Personally I never cared for grass but I don't feel threatened by it. Rather associate with weed smokers than alcohol abusers. Gin makes a man (and woman) mean!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Mom/Son bags (oz's), back around 71. She was a Realtor that was busted. Thank you Rottenchester.
Herb, not rot gut.

Shark

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the permission to stop posting, Bearinabox. I'll be sure to take that into consideration.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 464
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well done Warren PD!"

Except when you'll get a ticket for that stop sign you didn't run.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thanks for the permission to stop posting, Bearinabox. I'll be sure to take that into consideration.

Glad to hear it. Perhaps you'd also like to find a new shtick, as this one is getting almost as tiresome as the "strikes and balls" joke.

W_chicago
Username: W_chicago

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These "drug bust" stories are strikingly similar to the bizarre murder and abduction stories that emanate from the TV and newsmedia. They pump fear into the public, and make rare instances seem common and everyday --while typifying and reinforcing the narrative that humans are intrinsically evil, greedy, murdering rapists who are unable to control their own destiny.

Busts such as these are presented as great victories in the war on drugs, but fail to acknowledge that the drug war is a complete failure --about 1% effective.

The real effects, intended or not, are psychological and not physical for it is simply impossible to control the manufacture, distribution and consumption of drugs if the governed refuse to consent to cooperation.

So where does the power of the drug war come from? It is not from the violence, but rather from the perceived threat of violence, prison, alienation from society, real or manufactured risks of consuming drugs, and any other sanction that the state wields in its arsenal.

But fundamentally, the governed may withdraw their consent from a certain law or an entire institution --and form new social relations. Thomas Jefferson Jefferson once stated government is based on the consent of the people -- but what is often forgotten is that this characteristic is not dependent on democratic government, for it holds true in both dictatorships and democracies. This principle has been demonstrated time and time again in American history --from the struggles of woman, slaves, immigrants and workers.-- in our quest for human liberation.

But although I couldn't say the Drug War is the most relevant issue in the world today, I certainly don't think it is not important --because it is. I simply think the issues of the War in Iraq, Climate change and health care are relevant here and now --but they may certainly elevate the popularity and acceptance of the anti-drug war position.

So in summary, if you are tired of the drug war, stop whining and blaming it on the government, and start doing something about it. And remember --the people are the power.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6860
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't heard the specifics, but I wonder what the employment status of the parents was? I mean were they unemployed and worried about losing their house (which will likely happen now anyway)?

Not that I condone their behaviour, but we've been hearing about people doing desperate things in desperate times...

Had this just been a story about people growing for their own personal use, that would have been a different story (as far as I'm concerned). But selling to high schoolers is a no-no.

Well stated W_Chicago... I agree that the war on drugs is 1% effective.

Sixmilejones
Username: Sixmilejones

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all,

I know I'm going to catch hell for this one but screw it, I just gottah vent so here goes.....

I'm sick of seeing people going to prison for drugs. I'm sick of seeing innocent people caught in the cross-fire. I'm sick of seeing the desperation. Seriously, does anybody here know how much money prisons bring in? I'd wager it's a damn lot and I'd like to see the numbers.

No, I'm no fan of living a junkie life. But everybody keeps whining about all the crime. And hey, they're right but throwing people in jail and tossing the key? It ain't working people. I wonder how crime would drop if they legalized drugs? Shoot, (no pun intended) it'd probably be about 90% overnight. Sorry folks but the proof's already in the pudding. Dutch Schultz would not've been who he was without prohibition. Not to say he wouldn't still have been violent but I don't want to get into that nature/nurture hoo hah. I'm just submitting he would'nt have had the opportunities prohibition accorded him.

The worst drug in history is legal people. Booze. It's killed more lives, more souls, more hope than heroin and cocaine could even try to. It just does it slower..you suffer longer...and drag people through the mud of your own crap for years....that's all.

I know....I know.... everybody thinks I'm crazy and probably they're right. Just try to be kind on the reply. I need what little shred of dignity I've got to get me through the day.

Praying we all can live in a better world someday,

Jones

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 515
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sixmile, The only hell your going to catch is from the blind. your right on track. W_Chicago put it down best though. keep at it, dont stop talkin about it. This has been my soapbox for many years. I cant encourage you enough to not worry about what ppl think, and tell the truth the way you know it is. I could go on about big business prisons and the total ignorance of thinking drug eradication will never stand a chance, but I think you already know that. Stop thinking like people will think your nuts, your not nuts. The drug war is a complete failure and needs to be studied and overhauled.

Sixmilejones
Username: Sixmilejones

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey All (again),

Django, Thanks! I needed the e-pat on the back! :-)

Anyway, I was standing in line at the grocery checkout with rest of the broke populace waiting for my weekly rape session if you know what I mean and it dawned on me that I had something to add. (As my sweet southern man would say, "Yew a woman, baby. Yew always got one mo' thing tah say")

Anyway, no one has convinced me yet that drugs are the underlying cause of all the insanity. I think it's poverty. Poverty is the worst form of violence. And anyone who as a kid went some days without eating then stood out on the street corner thinking about hitting some pour soul over the head with a brick for the money in their wallet will surely understand what I mean.

It's sad but surely true that we've got a better chance of legalizing drugs than we have of feeding the hungry children within and without our City. By God's good grace I wish it were not so, but I fear it is.

Wishing all good folk within the walls of this forum every success in life,

Jones

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7369
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plague to street drugs is moving from the ghettos to the boondocks. Suburbanites be very afraid.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark-

I just know that from the way you write you are Mr-Goody-Two-Shoes who never breaks the law, ever! Have you looked at the posts here and on the other threads about this subject? It's running about 80% for legalization, so your argument is a bit moot. As for losers,takes one to know one, I guess........

Sixmile, Django, et al-

That having been said, I would like to see the digits(costs) to investigate, bust, prosecute and incarcerate these folks vs. what kind of cash flow it took off the street (benefit). After all, the intent with these kind of busts is to eliminate sales and activity with the drug, right? The only thing I see happening is the "mushroom" effect (no pun intended)where, when you take one of the fish out of the pool, the competition narrows and the rush to fill the void ends up getting people trying to position themselves as next dead.

This state and the government in general need a re-vamping of the eons old thinking that weighs on it like an anchor and step into the 21st century, and I mean quick. We need to react much quicker to the ever changing times and use good research to legalize stuff that is for the most part, benign. The money we spend to enforce these archaic laws could definitely be used, instead, to help some of the poorer folks in this city. Just my .02.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12941
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As soon as government realizes that the drugs stored in their evidence locker are one of their most valuable quickie-cash assets, they will turn around and attempt to make money off of it.

Of course, some of their finest will be found to have already raided the evidence locker because they figured it out sooner, but hey...we've always known that cops have some of the best drugs.

End this Personal Use Prohibition NOW!

Shark

Post Number: 383
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres -

And I just know from the way that you write you are... well, never mind, I don't want to get banned. And yes, you're right: I don't break the law.

And my posts have nothing to do with the legalization argument. I'm fine with that. The fact of the matter is is that drugs are currently illegal. So while people can complain about busts, accuse cops of stealing weed, rail against imagined government conspiracies, state that the body needs thc, condone drug use, make excuses for dealers, and downplay the damage that drugs do to the community, I will continue to be of the opinion that the 80% here are a bunch of neo-hippies who want to be able to enjoy their bong rips with a clean conscience.

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parents in Warren were both unemployed--laid off. The cops found a quarter-pound of pot.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 477
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I will continue to be of the opinion that the 80% here are a bunch of neo-hippies who want to be able to enjoy their bong rips with a clean conscience."

You say that like its a bad thing.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12954
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always enjoy my hits with the cleanest of consciences, always.

Nature's law is above man's, and the stuff is a weed. Ubiquitous.

It has been around much longer than our country and its laws designed to subjugate the entire citizenry.

It is well past time to eliminate this personal use prohibition, and anyone who dares disobey the law is a modern revolutionary, even IF they do it in secret.

Watch as Shark drives five over a limit he temporarily disagrees with...while telling US all to obey every law. Same stuff most of our police force is hypocritical of, the law is not God.

The Rule of Law is always mutable for those with means, so it has no absolute bearing on anyone indigenous, poor, or otherwise without means as well. Put your jackboots away for another day and a much larger fight, this one ain't it...you've already lost it and don't even know it!

Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a conservative non-hippie--I must account for part of the other 20% who want conscious-clean bong hits.

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 881
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a neo-hippie either. Haven't touched the stuff for years because it is illegal. Would do so in a heartbeat if it were not.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Shark. Silly thing. I smoke pot and hold down a job and have a bunch of happy creditors. Go jump in a lake. :-)

Bearinabox

Post Number: 670
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I will continue to be of the opinion that the 80% here are a bunch of neo-hippies who want to be able to enjoy their bong rips with a clean conscience.

Without fear of being thrown in jail, more like. Conscience has nothing to do with it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6864
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I will continue to be of the opinion that the 80% here are a bunch of neo-hippies who want to be able to enjoy their bong rips with a clean conscience.

Funny that... Shark hangs out more often in that other evil Detroit forum where the social deviants hang out... and he calls us losers?

ROFLMAO...

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"that other evil Detroit forum"

There's another evil forum around here?

Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He didn't call anyone a loser.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh...

Shark said: "Three more losers going to jail. I'm glad they are off the streets (and outta the hallways).

Well done Warren PD!"

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How dare those Warren police enforce the law, don't they know that food additives are what is really killing us!

(Sorry for the sarcasm, but someone is bound to bring it up eventually, so why not get it over with!)

Thanks, Shark, for being the "lone" dissenter. I know it's not easy, but someone's got to do it. Better you than me.

Shark

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you guys are right. Obviously, adult parents who join (or employ) their teenage son in selling illegal drugs to high school students aren't losers. I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. But what should I call them? Winners? Role Models? Freedom Fighters? Teachers of Entrepreneurship?

How about I just call them criminals? Is that ok with everyone here?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man. 100 years ago your kid could walk to the corner and buy morphine. I shudder to think of your opinion of William Howard Taft. :-)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, Shark. "Criminal" seems pretty harsh. "Freedom fighter" is more in tune with the sentiment here.

I'll call them criminals, though. There's a law and they broke it. Change the law if you don't like it; flaunt it and you get what you deserve.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is too funny, I wrote a speech way back in the early 70s and read it in my HS english class regarding legalizing pot, but the stuff we had back then did not approach the potency of what is being smoked now.

Quit smoking it years ago, when I realized that I was just trying to relive a far more social and adventurous period of my younger life, while living in the D, that had long been over with.

As far a dealing pot, I never did, despite having the necessary supply connections and buyers. Too many people that I saw waiting to buy at dealer's homes did not restrict themselves to smoking pot alone, and if they were busted, the sellers were eventually going to be as well.

Not to mention the freeloaders, losers, and addicts calling at all hours of the day and night, as well as the obvious drug connection neighbors could make seeing strange cars and people coming and going almost constantly. One dealer I knew negotiated an arrangement with an unemployed and drug addicted mechanic to rebuild the engine of his '70 Dodge Challenger in exchange for pot.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy William Dwyer must think he is hot stuff?? wasn't he the Police Chief of Farmington Hills ,not too long ago, and always in the news?? he must be running for some other higher office ?? What the heck is he doing in Warren now?? You mean to tell me ,its that hard to find a Police Chief?? He is a publicity seeker, if you ask me.

Shark

Post Number: 386
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He switched jobs earlier this year. He decided against running for public office.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One dealer I knew negotiated an arrangement with an unemployed and drug addicted mechanic to rebuild the engine of his '70 Dodge Challenger in exchange for pot."

What kind of addict is that? Rebuilding engines for pot? Wow! His mind must have been shot. Shouldn't he be out robbing liquor stores or something?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Only Dopes, use dope."

"Heavy."

"Far out."

-Cheech & Chong

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 701
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ways to acquire grass...

"Be very, very nice to everyone you meet."

-A Child's Garden of Grass

(classic)

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever met that funny Reefer Man?

He'll trade you dimes for nickels and call watermelon pickles...Yes..yes that Reefer man.

Have you ever met that funny Reefer Man?

If you said you came from China via South Carolina, Yes, Yes you met that Reefer Man.

1930's Ditty.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how former stoners get an "out" by saying that, compared to the sh*t they used to smoke, today's chronic is superweed.

Duh. It's because it's illegal. More potent stuff is easier to ship. It doesn't mean we smoke more of it and get sky-high. You smoked fatties when you were behind the high school and people can use one-hitters today. And still not one overdose. How about that? :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.