Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Roller Coaster Crash At Cedar Point « Previous Next »
Archive through May 21, 2008Downriviera28 05-21-08  1:47 pm
Archive through May 21, 2008Mrnittany30 05-21-08  10:15 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_detroit, I do agree that "some people from this thread could be right next to you" is very sickening.

You know sometimes, if you really read into a person's post and watch different people on the street, you can pick out DYes posters.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could'nt find anything on people dying at Cedar Point. Maybe it was at another amusement park. Peoples memories can trick people sometime. I get tricked every so often, where I believe something is very true only to find out I was wrong.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_Detroit, go to the "Connections" Facebook thread. You can put some faces to names there, there's a Detroit Yes! group
http://www.facebook.com/group. php?gid=8719004502

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember quite vividly that in or around 82 there was an accident at Cedar Point on the "Mine ride". This is probably what CYF is referring to. The reason I remember it we were there and rode that the day before it happened. One coaster failed to stop and rammed in to the back of the other one swapping out riders and a bunch of people got hurt.

It was reported here on the radio.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2630
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was younger there was a story circulating that the builders of the Wild Mouse/Cat ride got rid of the hair pin turns because a car went off the track and the riders were killed. Where this happened I can't recall. Could this simply have been an urban legend? One fact is clear, the Wild Cat at Cedar Point is tame compared to the Wild Mouse that was located at Bob-Lo.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6859
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be to quick to put my face over there into a facebook. That other evil Detroit forum just loves to put other peoples faces to their own posting Avatar's. How would you like to have your photo posted as an Avatar for someone whose alias was "Random Douchebag"? It's already happened rather frequently.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care about an asshole calling me a douchebag. It's all private anyway

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

boy this thread sounds like my trip to sonic tonite, a bunch of whining and still no dinner, i ,m slow what happened at CP?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"boy this thread sounds like my trip to sonic tonite, a bunch of whining and still no dinner, i ,m slow what happened at CP?"

Long story short, a roller coaster crash, and people injured.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Cedar Point yesterday and The Wildcat was not running. Also, not surprisingly I guess, there was no mention of any accidents or injuries occurring recently at the park.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, you're a trip! (or on a trip!)

There were several amusement parks in Detroit and surrounding "suburbs". A few off the top of my head: Jefferson at the foot of the Belle Isle bridge, 8 Mile & Grassshit, oops, Gratiot, Jefferson & 9 mile,... They were all pretty small by today's standard: usually just one roller coaster and a bunch of smaller rides, and the ubiquitous games-of-chance. Most had a ballroom for dancing.
They shut down for several reasons: too noisy, too much traffic, too much foolin' around outside the park, getting old, Cedar Point & Boblo were better, etc.
There's probably a DetroitYES thread on them. Good luck finding it. I can never seem to find what I'm looking for there. (Not a complaint, I'm sure it's just me.)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 425
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'M ON A TRIP?! LOL, I could see how you would think that, but have you read some of what our fellow posters say sometimes (especially a few in this thread... the worst were deleted).

I'm about to show how big of a dork I am here though... but whatever. Like I said, amusement parks and their history used to be my thing.

The Wildcat at Cedar Point is what is called a "carnival style coaster". It's a portable generic design made by a defunct German Company named after Anton Schwarzkopf (which had the same name). There were many roller coasters clones of this ride made, and most were called "Wildcat". Many carnival coasters with this design were also made. Through Cedar Point's History (which pre-dates 1900), they have had at least five totally different portable carnival coasters. Two of these coasters were even named Wildcat.

Actually, I know there are some history buffs on here. Here are a couple other neat little tidbits;

Lake Erie and The Detroit River have always been popular for amusement parks on islands and along its shores. With the closing of Geauga Lake's amusements (Near Cleveland, OH), Cedar Point is the last still open, but is NOT the last standing. After doing a quick search, there are in fact two parks that are technical ruins that do still exist. The first is actually in Detroit proper. It was a small one that I don't have much information about. The location is on the South side of 8 Mile between Mound and Mt. Elliott Street. You can clearly see it on Google Earth.

Here is a link: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl =en&tab=wl&q=8%20Mile%20and%20 Mt%20Elliott%20St.

The second "Ruin" is located in Ohio, about a half hour West of Cedar Point. This is not related much to Detroit, so all I'm going to say is if you are want to see a monster or a ruin, then check out this link to the Chippewa Lake Park section on Defunct Parks. I have got to explore it first hand, and the pictures do not do it justice. There are tons of abandoned rides and structures that are not shown.

The link can be found here: http://www.defunctparks.com/pa rks/OH/ChippewaLake/chippewa-l ake.htm

All of the older parks used to only be accessible by steam ship (such as Cedar Point and Boblo). Other parks had rail lines that would link the parks to the steam ship docks along shore. This made sense at the time, because pre depression era amusement parks were often built at the ends of public transit lines to attract patrons to these remote stops (and to encourage weekend and holiday rider ship). When the auto took over these public lines, many amusement parks turned into empty, crime infested decaying money pits. Few survived into the modern world.

I always looked at the (non Disney style) amusement park as a great tribute to the memory of the industrial age, and the spirit of that period. It is fitting that the largest one is in the Midwest, and it is a real shame when disasters like this happen. These places are places that the children of generations have gone to, and many of our kids will hopefully continue to enjoy. It is such a shame when things like this happen. Unfortunately, these places (even big ones like Cedar Point) need all the help the good press they can get. They are all to often the first to feel the pressure when economies are bad. We will undoubtedly be losing many U.S. parks this year. Most Southern Parks outside of Florida were damaged by Katrina, and rely on Areas heavily hit. Others lay in poor economic areas. Even the biggest chain parks seem to be going down. Six Flags is even fighting bankruptcy, as is closing parks right and left.

Even so, the Detroit area CAN support one. It is constantly being looked at as an area to expand in (especially the smaller family fun centers). Proof of this can be found in Saginaw. Kokomoos in Saginaw. They are building there first adult roller coaster this year. Oh yeah, there is also a full sized abandoned water park in Saginaw (abandoned because of cost of repairs).

But enough of all this off topic stuff, and back to the Detroit parks. Wait, this topic wasn't about any of that either, was it?

Well, maybe it can be about Detroit park stories/info too? Or should I start a new topic? LOL?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and if you are just joining the conversation;

The Wildcat roller coaster crashed at Cedar Point. This discussion was about the basic economic impact on this area, since Cedar Point is reliant on the Detroit market, and hires many from the area (including marketing firms).

A second tangent and unrelated topic emerged about former Detroit parks. If you have any stories feel free to post. Actually that second topic really deserves it's own thread.

Is it okay if I make one?

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on May 23, 2008)

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

Please don't.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And on another tangent, Detroit has a similar coaster to the Wildcat at the Michigan State Fair. I do wounder if the State Fair would suffer from any park built here. The State Fair definitely could support some more rides in my opinion, and definitely could support a big coaster. Honestly, I would love to see the ride section of the fair become a full amusement park that simply houses the State Fair as a event during it's operating season.

Also, Wildcat's layout has never been changed. It would be cheaper to just design and build a whole new ride of this type then to make any major changes.... or maybe it's just more of me being a wiseacre, lol, you can decide.

Also, Wildcat is different from a Wild Mouse (with those tight curves you all described). They have had two of those in the past.

Edit: Mortgageking, why? It makes much more sense. I wish you told me that before I made it!?

It can still be deleted if you're not joking. (you are joking right?)

Gistok

Post Number: 6867
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, you do know what an Avatar is, right?

We don't use them here on DetroitYES.

You would care if the words RANDOM DOUCHEBAG was posted under a picture of you every time the anonymous poster posted a message on that forum... over and over and over again...

Kahnman
Username: Kahnman

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh...heh...heh... the Wildcat.

1971. I was 10 years old and my most vivid memory of Cedar Point was getting my geeky little black horn-rimmed glasses pressed back into my face on the very first G induced 180 degree whiplash turn.

That ride was straight from Hell. Noisy as a steel plant in the middle of a day shift and subjected you to at least 4 or 5 G's in every turn.

The very worst part of that fateful ride was holding onto my glasses with one hand to keep them from flying away while trying to keep my body from getting ejected with the weakening grip of my other hand. I swear that ride lasted 20 minutes long...

Thanks for bringing back such FOND memories, Sean!

BTW, quit trying to understand/figure out/please anyone on this forum, it's not worth it. This place is like driving the Dan Ryan during rush hour - just buckle up, go with the speed of traffic or get eaten in the process. Pretty simple.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Gistok! I would think you could E-mail the site and ask them to take it down. That is slander and I believe somehow illegal. You could take the site/poster to court. I'm no expert, but I really think you could.

That's uncalled for even by your enemies. Although, some of you got to see a post (now deleted, thank you DetroitYES) aimed at me where Eastsiderules decided to sink that low. I have no idea who that even is. I have some ideas, but that was at least five years ago.

I completely understand why people who finally are able to rise above the muck around here, are forced to move out of the city. It's people like that, that spend their entire life hating others for their shortcomings. Like a person can never learn and grow, and still love their city and home?

This world makes me sick sometimes. So very sad.

Gistok, even if you did something to that person, nothing you did could have made you deserve that. What a donkey (that person not you)!

Gistok

Post Number: 6869
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, they've used several of the folks on this forum's pics over there, even one of our forum owner. Some of those folks are pure evil. The ones who seem to be the worst are those who have been kicked off over here, and have an ax to grind...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you send me a link to that other site via E-mail? It's this name at yahoo.com

I know it shouldn't be posted on here

We can get this to stop. If it doesn't, lets get that other site shut down. Downright illegal slander right there. It's people like that that give Detroit a bad reputation, and ruin it for the rest of us. You guys have given me a little bit of a hard time when I deserved it. But most of you seem pretty respectful. That is just a low blow. I don't like people who play like that. Seriously, lets take 'em out.

Or is that just asking for trouble?

I'm gonna' end up with a laser dot on my temple aren't I? Those are probably the type of people who get in the shoot outs over chicken wings and parking spaces.

EDIT: All you people here should be thankfull. That link I provided over to that Point Buzz site is run by the poster "Jeff". He kicks anyone off for any reason (to many people post there) . One broken rule and you are gone. Not just that, but he bans your ISP# too! Sometimes he gives no warning, and he doesn't answer E-mails once you've been banned. I usually just read instead of post for that reason.

This board is paradise compared to some of the other ones out there!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, sorry I didn't use due diligence of reading the rest of this post prior to posting on your new thread, thus repeating some of the info you presented here first.

People are entirely too cruel on internet forums. They had a program on PBS the other night about a suicide forum (if you can believe it) where kids actually encourage each other to commit suicide and congratulate each other when they commit to it. One boy even did kill himself. His father found out by logging in on his son's computer and reading his "conversations" with these evil and/or troubled people. It brought tears to my eyes! How utterly and despicably cruel!

Reddog289

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks detroitrise for setting me straight, too much info to process any more, funny thing i wake up at 5:30 am with Fox2 on the TV, then hit the snooze at 11am {FOX2 STILL ON} THEN wake up at 12pm turn on WXYZ and try to read the freep before i go to work. this duel thread deal is saying time for me to goto bed.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

< After doing a quick search, there are in fact two parks that are technical ruins that do still exist. The first is actually in Detroit proper. It was a small one that I don't have much information about. The location is on the South side of 8 Mile between Mound and Mt. Elliott Street. You can clearly see it on Google Earth.

Here is a link: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl =en&tab=wl&q=8%20Mile%20and%20 Mt%20Elliott%20St.

Sean, the ruins you pointed out on 8 Mile and Mt Elliot are from a former video arcade/snack bar/go-cart track. Not much else was going on there in the way of amusements -

Reddog289

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good thing that i get up early today, i,d be up looking at sat pix of stuff. even i can,t kill this thread.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure I would to call 8 Mile & Mt. Elliot a "ruin".

The Michigan Fun Center has only been closed for a year (at the most), and is still usable (it's been closed about 5 more times before this).

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 27, 2008)

Reddog289

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as a delivery driver ,i passed that place many of times. got told not to stop cause i had work to do. i wouldn,t call that an amusement park in a sense like Edgewater or Bob-Lo.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 557
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it probably would fit in the category of family fun center, right? Still that's how many amusement parks start out. Small, with go cart tracks and a mini golf course. Then add more and more, or move and expand. It's the same basic category. I'll note that it was a small place though.

One of these places in Saginaw is a perfect example. Kokomos; it started as a driving range and mini golf course, then added some go carts and bumper boats, along with an arcade. Then one new thing led to another. Soon they were adding rides, and this year they are getting a adult sized roller coaster. They have the potential to become a full fledged amusement park if they keep at it.

Reddog289

Post Number: 323
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that would be cool Saginaw , is closer to Muskegon,

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 587
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saginaw Is two hours from Muskegon and two hours from Detroit. That is, give or take a few minutes. Muskegon is about four hours (ish) from Detroit.

Muskegon also has the much bigger Michigan's Adventure. So most people from Muskegon probably go to Michigan's Adventure. Many people from Detroit go to Cedar Point. The interesting point is in the demographics. While many of the Detroiters go to Cedar Point, there are plenty that would stick around to make up a population almost exactly like Saginaw. The pool would be the same. It leads me to really believe a small one that is properly run could survive in Metro Detroit at a central location. If it were near a major public transit line, it would be even better. It would be the roaring twenties (for amusement parks) all over again, one hundred years later. That is some eerily similar history repeating right there.

Edit: Spelling

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on May 31, 2008)

Reddog289

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I,D never heard of michigans adventure till i saw it on a coke can. I have kin up by Cadilac they keep pesturing me to go there, then to Great Wolf Lodge, i love them yet why drive 6hrs to play in the water when Sandusky Oh is a 1 1/2 hour drive from me.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A season pass to either Cedar Point or Michigan's Adventure gets you in free for the entire season at both parks. It's worth it after about three or four times. Cedar Point is open from May until November this year too. They throw a CRAZY Halloween event. So you have plenty of time to go those three or four times.

We should have a Detroit Yes day at Cedar Point or Michigan's Adventure. They have free picnic shelters outside of the park at the entrance gate at Cedar Point. If enough people are interested we/I put something together.

It would be a lot of fun!

We could also get extremely good group rates that way too. Gas is expensive, maybe we could even get together and rent a charter bus with another social group, or church group, or something like that. We could just drive separate though to, or whatever. It would be really fun.

If anyone is interested, say so. We don't need a huge group. Just a few people would be fine, as long as we could get a group rate. With family members and such we shouldn't have a problem. I think the cut of is like 20 or 25 or something.

Bad idea?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.