Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Himelhoch Stores « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Clarie
Username: Clarie

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Himelhoch store on Woodward ave.

I worked there during summers while attending MSU.

I was a Human Ecology major and the sister of one of my professor was the HR person.

Does anyone remember the store?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4806
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Himelhoch Brothers Company - Detroit

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign is still there. I guess the retail arcade on the first floor is vacant. The rest of the building is senior apartments I believe. The entrance is on Washington for the Apartments. Unfortunately, Woodward is the location of the "back door". No one ever seems to use it.

This building is the one adjoined to the one behind it on Washington correct?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I remember the store very well. A friend of mine worked there. Sometimes I'd go pick her up in my 1967 Chevy and we'd go cruising Woodward up to Ted's Drive Inn - that was back in the day of the classic cars and gas was 25 cents a gallon!

Seems like a million years ago now.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also had one in Dearborn too.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember the store but my mother still have a dress and purse she bought there in the 1960's. It's retro cool now! She also has some x-mas angels which she's had for years that still have Himelhoch price tags on them. Damn, she's old!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the store. I couldn't afford to shop there, Miracle Mart and Korvette's were more in my budget. When I worked downtown, sometimes I would go in and browse through but I was afraid of the very professionally helpful clerks.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4280
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember buying dresses at the Dearborn store. My mom and I liked to shop there.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember shopping there when I worked downtown and when my mom and I would shop. They used to have a nice selection of winter coats.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother shopped at Himelhoch's. I believe they also had one at Northland. The one at Washington Blvd had high end clothes. Here is a Little about the founder this was taken from the Boston Edison web site. Several store founders lived in that area. people like B. Siegel, Kerns, check out there great website, at historic boston edison.

WOLF HIMELHOGH
In 1907, Wolf Himelhoch opened a clothing store, Himelhoch's, on Washington Boulevard. The store was successful, and eventually opened multiple branches in Detroit and its suburbs, and had offices in Paris, New York and Los Angeles. Wolf Himelhoch lived at 929 West Boston.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 803
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least a part of the family remains in Michigan: our kids are friends.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom shopped at Himelhoch's for a special brand of something, which I don't remember. I used to work part-time at Korvette's in 1967 when I was in my first year of college. I think I worked there for 2 yrs. Never bought anything thing while I worked there. It was worse than Kmart for crap!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother was a Himelhoch's regular. She worked at the GM Building downtown for a while, then at the "new" Warren Tech Center. Back then the women had to "dress" for work. She had matching dresses, purses, shoes and hats. Shoes and hats in neatly marked boxes on the shelf in her closet. And outfits changed with the seasons. I remember the process of changing out the closet from summer clothes to winter, and back again. She was a very classy lady always. Love ya, Mom..hope there is a golf course in heaven for you. (She was a GM Ladies League champion!)

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was one of the most elegant stores on Washington. They had a small section on the first floor that sold home accessories - like vases and crystel stemware. I still have some champagne flutes I purchased there. Everything, expensive. Do you also remember Peck & Peck, which was next door? They sold trench coats. Also around the corner was Chandlers Shoes. I used to work at Bank of the Commonwealth around that time. I was like 19.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's still pretty elegant on the Woodward side. There's a shitty cell phone store and a day care center that hasn't fixed it's broken windows in over 10 months. You should come by and take a look, the bum urine smells great once the weather warms up.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you pronounce that name?

Is it him-el-hos?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4664
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Washington Boulevard had the most beautiful stores.

When my oldest sister got married, my mother bought my dress at Himelhochs downtown. It was so beautiful and special. I was 8 but I'll always remember how it made me feel.

The rest of the time, it was Federals for me!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did that store close?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 698
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GM Ladies Club... my aunt was a member.

My mom recently told me a story about her and her girlfriend "tagging along" on a trip to Lake Placid NY in the 1940's. The hotel was full and she and her girlfriend had to stay in a rooming house for the weekend.

The women that owned the house also had about 40 cats, and the place stunk to high-hell of cat pee. Mom & Doris were too young to know they could bitch about the stench. So they went to the late night movies to avoid the place.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandma was a seamstress there until her death in 1968.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wasn,t Himelhochs at Mich&Schafer across from Monkey Ward?

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a list of where all the stores were?? I can't remember if there was one in Highland Park??Maybe? I remember the one downtown for sure.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one in Dearborn was across from Jacobson's on Michigan Ave. My dad would take my brother and me over to Meyer"s Seafood for something to eat while our mother shopped at Himelhoch's. We'd wait forever for her. She'd cut through Jacobson's Men's dept and buy my dad a golf shirt or a tie, and he wouldn't get mad about all the money she spent at Himelhoch's.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like downtown could really use (and support) a place like this again. We need more clothing stores selling everyday items.

So all these places closed because of Hudson's closing, correct? They couldn't compete with the suburban malls?

Sorry, there is probably a thread on this somewhere already. I'll have to do a search when I have a chance.

Taj920

Post Number: 313
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some background:

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/d/dh hcc/retailers/himelhoch.html

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry and Diane, that own Cafe D`Mongos on Griswold, own the Himelhoch building now. They said they have owned it for 30 years.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Himelhoch's closed before Hudson's did...

There was a Himelhoch's in Birmingham, too.

And yeah, it's pronounced "Him-el-ho's" ...

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some national womens' dept. stores that had branches in Detroit (and Northland):
1. Franklin Simon
2. Peck and Peck
3. Best and Co.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4296
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, thanks for mentioning Peck and Peck - I have a big hat box full of old pictures that my mom gave me - but I do not remember Peck and Peck.

Westsiiiide

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peck & Beck was sort of like Burberry. It used to be next door to Himelhochs. The store had a classic plaid trench coat (I purchased one) and it was about $150.00.That was expensive then. In today's price it would probably be around the price of Burberry ($900. or more) I purchased my coat in 1968, but I think the store was there from around the 1940's. Does anyone remember the "Quickee" donut shops? If you are not around baby boomer age, you probably don't.

Westsiiiide

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this Wikipedia. re: Peck & Peck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P eck_&_Peck

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I remember as a little kid being taken to Himelhoch's at Eastland. As I recall, it was very 60's 'modern'. It had one of those free-standing, floating stairways going to a second floor of apparel. Under the suspended staircase was a tiled pool with a small fountain and I think even fish. As a little kid, I was SO fascinated by that. It was beautiful.

Taj920

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocmobilexec -- Where was the Himeloch's at Eastland?

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Quickie's! When I took the bus downtown, I would get off at Washington Blvd right by St. Aloysious (sp?). I could smell the doughnuts from Quickie as I got off the bus. I used to think it would be SO neat to work downtown and stop to get a doughnut at Quickie before going to work. By the time I worked downtown, I don't think they were around.

Detsfb
Username: Detsfb

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran into Larry and Diane out in front a couple weeks ago and they gave me a tour of the place. I was surprised that there seemed to be a number of businesses in there. Larry might be opening up a sidewalk cafe to sell hotdogs and chips for the summer. Those Mongos are the best!

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taj920, I don't specifically recall Himelhoch's at Eastland. If it was there, it was most likely in the east wing of the center (near Robinson's Furniture, B. Siegel, and Stouffer's).

ocmobilexec's description of the store sounds like B. Siegel, which was the only other store I know of with more than one story (not counting a basement) outside of the anchor--Hudson's.

Perhaps Himelhoch's moved into that space at some point. Someone else may have a better recollection.

The east wing consistently had the lowest foot traffic, and those were the first stores to close & change hands once Eastland started to hit some bumps.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.