Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Would your company be interested in "Take Your Dog To Work Day"? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking for companies in the Downtown area that might be interested in participating in National Take Your Dog To Work Day, on June 20. If you think your company might be interested, please let me know. Here is some more info on TYDTWD - http://www.takeyourdog.com/Abo ut/
Liz
www.caninetofivedetroit.com

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

excellent, I never even knew there was one.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6772
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We just did that on Friday. Guess we were a little early.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you work JOhnlodge?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6775
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a secret, shhh.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bringing mu dogs to work would be a real disaster. All kinds of people would be slipping and sliding in pee and shit. And Binki the big dog would be biting everybody he doesn't like.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dogs! You must be kidding. Bring you kid to work day is bad enough. None of the 10 year olds I saw wandering around the office looked very engaged. What would be the point of bringing your poodle? What about the people who are allergic to or just don't like animals?

For the record I love dogs, but thats not the point.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People take them everywhere now.It's quite the in thing.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dog already goes to most of the sites I work..it's generally against the rules, but he's well behaved, house trained, and ungodly cute for a medium-sized mutt..security guards & building managers seem to have no problem either looking the other way or trying to sneak him treats behind my back. I suspect some of my clients would be less than thrilled to learn my furry pal's been hanging out on their property when I stop by to fix their stuff for 'em, but what they don't know can't hurt, and I ain't gonna volunteer the info..it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission, yanno?
:-)

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No offense, but the last thing I want to deal with at work is someone's pet. And just because somebody takes their pet with them everywhere doesn't make it right--it might mean they have no common sense or courtesy toward other people. I was in a grocery store the other day that had a sign posted outside that pets were not allowed inside! Just 'cause YOU love your dog doesn't mean we all need to be forced to as well. And this is coming from someone who loves animals.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 591
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happens when your dog bites someone?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You get to let everyone meet your dog... I get it. Not sure I'd expect people who don't have pets or like animals to get it though. Kind of like a cute show and tell type thing.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Eastsidechris, on this one. Dogs are O.K. with me (although I passionately hate cats,) but if it's left up to me, the bring-your-dog-to-work idea is absolutely out.
But then, I'm kind of a hard-nose. I'd even fire the person who proposed the idea.

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine me too. There is a point we draw the line at some of these lame warm and fuzzy ideas

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of the dumbest things I've ever heard

Django

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liz They can all K*%# my ***. Its not meant for every goddamn workplace, just the cool ones. Not for the stuffy and uptight environments OBVIOUSLY.

quote "might be interested in participating"

Keyword being "interested" not the uninterested.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember people want "Cool Cities".

I'd much rather have a bunch of happy people around me than a bunch of numbers working in a mill.

Edit: Ravine, what's so bad about cats?

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on May 21, 2008)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 697
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that anyone gives a shit... but I have 2 cats and I am highly allergic to dogs. The oldest cat would be scared shitless (it was a rescue who was beaten by its former owner), the other is an "amazing levitating kitten". If I want to find it... all I have to do is "look up, way up".

Dumb idea. Nobody gives a crap about your pets. Just think back about my cat stories.

Rushbuzz1013
Username: Rushbuzz1013

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My loving little pup....
My pup lives in my home because I need to escape from the inhuman stress and bullshit I get every day at work. She is my escape.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love dogs, but don't see that bringing one to work is a great idea. At best, they're a distraction and at worst dangerous. Even taking a child to work was a bit crazy (and I'll admit that I did that). It was a day that I didn't get a lot done, and I'm sure my child was a distraction to others.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awful idea. Setting aside that other people might be less than thrilled to see your pet, what would your dog do all day? I work in an office. I’m not sure what an office worker with do with a dog all day. Tie their leash to your desk and hope they don’t chew on anything? Put them in the breakroom and hope they don’t howl or bark? I see the dog getting very bored.

I don’t like dogs. But I think a dog would like being in an office even less!

Django

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry folks, some ppl are able to spend enough time with their loves that they are not a distraction because their used to being around ppl. My dog Farns came absolutely everywhere with me, he was always calm, sat at the barstool beside me when I wanted, sat on the floor next to me and napped when thats what he wanted to do. Being around ppl so much, he was used to EVERYTHING. I understand that its not every workplace that could deal with this situation but some can. I know several that do. I doubt if the manager of a business decided that dogs were suddenly running the place, that would go over well, I think thats obvious. Office settings with a lot of ppl would of course be a no go. Like I said, Blondy asked for "thoes interested" Does anyone read through the posts before posting? Get a grip.

The more time you spend with Fido the better world its gonna be, and I guarantee that. Go ahead, try and prove me wrong, LOL.

Evelyn

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’m also not sure of the point. When you take your kids to work, the point is show your son or daughter what you do at work, and teach them a little about careers. What could a dog learn?

Also, most work environments aren’t good places to have dogs in. Retail, construction, teaching, food service, health care... actually, I can’t think of any job where it would be a good idea to have a dog around.

I’m also complaining because I’m getting a bit tired of people taking their dogs everywhere- airports, stores, wherever- and not understanding that not everyone loves their dog. I don’t foist my cat on total strangers. Why do some dog owners expect the rest of the world to be dog lovers?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if you work at the dog pound? :-)

Django

Post Number: 501
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What could a dog learn? have you never been around a dog that is familiar with being around ppl, as opposed to a dog thats on the end of a leash everyday for its entire life. There is a huge difference. The more a dog interacts with the world, that which many dogs dont ever get to see, the more intelligent that dog is going to be. Interaction with any species can be a huge importance on ANY species. If I was tied up to a doghouse for my entire life, Id make friends with a worm, without worm, Id be a wreck. That probably sounds stupid. Im just trying to impress that interaction is intregal to learning. Dogs learn, they become better dogs, a better dog impresses people, Making way for a happier community.
Im no goddamn dog whisperer or whatever that thing is all about but some things are obvious.

AGAIN, I say AGAIN. Blondy was quote: "looking for companies in the Downtown area that might be interested in participating in National Take Your Dog To Work Day"

KEY WORDS: "looking", and "might be interested in participating"

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 474
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found a dog once. Not sure what kind he was, but he liked coffee and donuts, so I guess he was a police dog.

Evelyn

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taking your pet dog to the shelter you work at might teach your dog not to run away, I guess.

But I'll stop complaining. The post was about if companies were interested, not what we thought.

(But I’m still happy that I work in a chihuahua free workplace.)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I WISH my dog had manners enough to take her to work. Sometimes my boss brings her humongous dog to work and Penny ignores everyone and lies quietly under the desk. My dog would be levitating to the ceiling chewing things and barking at unfamiliar noises. Sigh. I guess if the dog owners exercise proper judgment about their dogs' ability to tolerate eight hours of regimented behavior it might be fun.

At my husband's office there is a person allergic to dogs. I didn't know that and I did bring my dog in there for a brief good-bye party and the poor woman was sneezing and crying within five minutes. We ate our cake and left pretty fast.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is a great idea that could bring people together, create some common ground and let off some steam. Plus, it is a way to show off how well behaved your dog could be.

Django

Post Number: 503
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evelyn, I hear ya. Its not a project for everyone or every jobsite. I would think that the companies that could handle that kind of project are already doing it. Blondy talkin about a once a year thing, and its probably meant more to just get ppl thing about it and the possibilities. Shes thinking about the animals, not he fun the owners are going to have bringing them to work. Its great for them, Of course a lot of dogs just wouldnt work out in a workplace. Maybe they should be doing something else with them ,,like,, maybe,, HMMM dropping them off at a dog daycare center once or five times a week. I hear theres one in the Cass;)
anyway. Thats the interaction they need to be emotionally grounded. Dogs need that shit just like we do. How many manners would you have if your folks let you out of your room to eat, piss, and shit while you were growing up. (Im not tryin to be nasty).

Gaz, I hear you too. I bet lover puppy snuggles up calm and cool when its time for bed though. Thats the greatest.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I love dogs, I would be against that. People here bring their kids and they are not well-behaved. I can't imagine their dogs are much better behaviorally...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do Jrvass. I just got my fiancee a new kitten. She's white with some small splotches of brown. She's 7 weeks old. Before her, we had a 25 pound female Main Coon. she died a few months ago though.

But she was around when we got our big 20 pound orange cat (then a kitten). She used to cuddle with him and clean him. It was so sad after she died, because he goes up to the couch they used to cuddle and sleep on every night, and just meows and looks for her. So very sad.

But then this kitten comes along and he kind of takes to her right away. And suddenly he does all the stuff for her that she did for him, the cleaning and the playing. Very heartwarming. He's also very smart. Last night (for the first time) he got locked in the laundry room. Suddenly I see the door knob starts to turn and the door clicks open, and out walks the orange cat! I couldn't believe it. The orange cat walks around the house with his tail up and arched over like a candy cain. Then you have the kitten who follows him everywhere (small enough to fit in the palm of your hand) and tries to jump up and bat at the end of his tail. It's like Scrappy and Scooby Doo, only cats. All to funny.

We also have Black Jack (our black cat). I can't wait to get him into the CBD. You'd think he thought he was a dog. He goes for walks (on a leash) and plays fetch. Very interesting cat. He's gonna love going for walks along the Riverwalk every day. It will be interesting to see people's reaction around there.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some of your cat stories. I'm glad you gave such a warm welcome to the abused one. And WHAT on Earth do you mean by calling your cat the "amazing levitating kitty"? LOL!

Django

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Moms cat and dog do the same cuddling, Ive never seen it done before. Very very cute. Oh, except for the Buggs Bunny show with the ferocious Bulldog who was enamored by the little kitten who couldnt give a shit about how big and bad he was. Remember the kitten would climb up on his back and dig into the dogs back with its claws to make a nice comfortable spot to take a nap. Dog put up with it at the end of every clip.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 699
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S_of_D

PITA (Yes, Pain in the Ass, the amazing levitating kitten) does exactly that. I'll be looking for her, and see her a foot from the ceiling.

No explainable way as to how she got up there.

Katrina (the older abused cat) is a gold-point siamese rescue from Purrs Abound Siamese Rescue. I had 2 cats die of natural causes within a year after 13 and 16 years. About a year later, I became a foster "family" for Purrs Abound.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelt ers/MI163.html

I think I adopted out 12-13 cats in 9 months. (Detroit related... a retired lady at Joy & Wyoming adopted one cat, sight unseen. She had food & cat toys & everything!)

"Katrina" would always hide when the adopters stopped by. After several months of her hiding, I finally decided that she wouldn't be adopted. So I adopted her. A few months later while tossing my socks in the laundry basket... I figured out she had been beaten by her former owner.

3 years later, with the help of PITA, she is doing better.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 478
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons.

Will Rogers

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No offense, but the last thing I want to deal with at work is someone's pet"

I feel the exact same way about bring your brat to work days.

Russell
Username: Russell

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've told my daughter that I wished there were a take your puppy to work day for years! That's soo cute (but my place would never do it and my pup would be to scarred to go anyway)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be funny to see a cat and dog doing that. Not what you'd expect, that's for sure!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.