Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Lions VP gets nasty with reporter « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4307
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not a smart move

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse /2008/05/18/detroit-lions-exec utive-threatens-to-come-after- reporter-if-he/?icid=100214839 x1202484340x1200095431

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to hear a recording of the conversation to put it all in context. Pat Caputo gets under my skin all the time, and I'm just listening to his radio program.

And "come after you" likely meant law suit since the obvious size difference of the two "gentlemen" completely favors Caputo.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the hardest hit a Lion has laid on anyone this year.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat Caputo = worst person on Detroit Radio. I'd rather drive Cross Country with Jay Towers and Tic Tac than listen to another minute of Pat Caputo.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caputo certainly points out reality. Some people prefer denial. Choose whichever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. It's up to us to turn the dial or listen.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This cracks me up. The last time I listened to Caputo, he sounded so very much like the Lions paid shill. Everyone who was trying to offer advice to get the franchise to change their attitude towards the paying fans was totally ridiculed by Caputo.

The only way anything is going to change is when old man Ford finally dies.

I'm willing to begin a twelve step program to rid myself of being a Loins fan...Hi I'm Hornist, and I am a former Loins fan, I've gone almost an entire season without watching those pathetic losers..."Hi Hornist, welcome!"

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3145
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, wait until opening day. Ford Field will be full. And that's the problem. The fifty thousand or so idiots in the stands DESERVE what they're getting.

Boycott that franchise. Go, Packers.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornist, count me in. I'm an addict. radio, tv, web, scouting reports, inside info, practice visits, games ... I've got a picc line of Lionisms coursing to and through my medulla oblongata and it's been giving me tics. Two wins in a row and I'm wearing my jersey to bed, not shaving, wearing the same socks, burning incense and throwing chicken bones ... until the Lions lose again and douse me in another ice water bath called reality.

oh, yeah, I got it bad. It's only 72 days until training camp. I need an intervention.

Caputo, his most irritating habit? His mouth runs but his ears don't work. Horrid bloviator.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this is why they are offering half season passes now. I'm old enough to remember when they were a contending team. It felt good to know they had a good chance to win every Sunday.
Hasn't been that way for a hell of a long time.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So did Caputo write the story?
Does anybody know any details of the Lions email to the season ticketholder.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2991
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the story was in Friday's Oakland Press.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com /stories/051608/spo_2008051625 5.shtml

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies, Thanks for posting the story.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was the worst Lions addict for many years.
I finally broke it last year.
Barely watch three quarters all year long.

Wasted more than 15 years following their every move. Now I couldn't care less. As for Caputo, I don't blame Lewand one bit. The Lions suck, but I've never encountered a worse writer for a "major" daily than Caputo. Only listening to him on the radio (which I rarely do anymore) is worse than reading his columns.

Pro sports ... what a waste of time and energy.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

My name is Downriviera and I'm a Lionsaholic. I was also heavily addicted to the Red Wings through the dark times, but it turned out ok.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Ford's ineptness has been common knowledge for decades. Joe Schmidt who was considered Mr. Lion quit on the Lions as coach following the 1972 season. If Joe Schmidt thought the Lions were not worth the effort all those years ago, then why anyone else would bother with them.....well I guess a sucker being born every minute is the only explanation.

"The only way anything is going to change is when old man Ford finally dies."

Agreed, but he will probably live until the age of 110 despite the fact that from 1955-65 he went on a "lost weekend".

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sick of the Lions management, I think Pat like all of us Lions fans is sick of this bullshit. This whole thing is fishy if you ask me, Suppose to go from one employee to the other and ends up going to customer? Once again this team will never get better until Lewland, and Millen are outta here. Who has worn out their welcome more than these clowns except Kwame, so who will be gone first Millen or Kilpatrick?
I love the LIONS!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's that Vegas team doing?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Millen is irrelevant.

Its Ford Ford Ford.

He destroyed this organization long before the bizarre hiring and support of Millen.

His ongoing support of Millen just shows his utter disdain of those little ants we call fans.

The only thing you can really do is encourage your friends to stop buying tickets and going to the games.

Don't think of it as AA. Think of it as al-anon. The dysfunctional co-dependent relationship only exists because people continue to buy tickets and support bad behavior.

Empty that place out.

Hornist9

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_mafia, I think you've hit the nail on the head!

and Downriviera, welcome!

The only trouble is, if nobody shows, Ford still makes a shitpot of money due to the league revenue sharing, the TV Contract, all of the Found On Road Dead advertisements he's sold to the NFL. So face it, until the old bastard croaks, and someone who really has a mind for sports management comes to run the team, the Loins aren't worth the powder to blow them and Ford Field (home of the Ford Field fuck ups) to hell and back.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 693
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you put an ass in every seat for every game, you can sell a crappy product (or team).

Face it, Bill Ford is a nice guy who will give his underlings every opportunity to screw up before he fires them. Unfortunately for fans, the Lions are a hopeless cause until the old man dies.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a Lionsaholic, but I only watch on TV, I don't go to the games. So maybe there is hope for me. But its hard to stay away from the TV on Sunday. Its like a bad accident, you don't want to look, but you do.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad the Japanese can't fund and build a football team to rival the Detroit Lions in Detroit like they have with the auto industry. Ford has the local monopoly on pro football in Detroit and treats his fan base as a captive market that he doesn't have to respond to. If fans want real change, boycott Lions games. If the Lions couldn't build a winning team around Barry Sanders during his playing years, then that's proof that there was never any interest in doing so.

Rushbuzz1013
Username: Rushbuzz1013

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are dead on, Dannyv. The Fords get richer. The Vendors work harder and charge more (probably just to cover their asses)... while...The Team prides itself on mediocrity. BOYCOTT. BOYCOTT. BOYCOTT.

Hornist9

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are some of the best solutions I've heard about the Loins. Wouldn't it send the NFL and the Ford's a real message if on opening day of the regular season if there was an empty stadium? I know that won't happen, but think of the ruckus that would be raised if no one showed up and the game had to be played.

I can hear the announcers now...What kind of excuse would Millen have to come up with for all of the empty seats. Meanwhile, a massive protest outside of Ford Field.

.The Team prides itself on mediocrity. It's too bad that they got to 7-9 last year and the word mediocrity can be used. What a fucking joke!

Dannyv, I really like the idea of a Japanese football team to compete. (Cue PA announcer) Now starting at Quarterback for the Nagasaki Lions....

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have put many years into the Lions. I watched them weekly for a good 5 years with growing and sinking interest on each end. The past few years they have strung the fans along with possibility after possibility, only to choke near the end of the season. They have been so bad for so long, it is mind boggling that they fill the seats.

Are their tickets prices comparable to Red Wings ticket prices? It would be a sad day in Detroit if we continue to support in person a team that has given us nothing; and on the other hand, turn our backs on a team that has given us superstars year in year out, three recent stanley cups, several President's Trophy's, 17 straight visits to the playoffs, flawless scouting, etc....... need I go on.

Lion's suck.

Hornist9

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TKShreve, I have watched those losers since I was a 11 year old kid in 1963. Matt Millen and company sure makes Wayne Fonts and his 10-6 lose in the first round of the playoffs look good.

It's now been 1992 since the Loins have won a playoff game. That's too damned long.

I can understand with the economy why fans aren't going to Red Wings games. I am on a fixed income and am also having some physical problems walking. If I could walk, I'd scrape up the money to go to a finals game. My son and I went to the 02 Western Conference finals game 7 against the Av's and saw Patrick Roy's meltdown. It was worth every penny of the $75 bucks I paid per ticket to see it. I didn't even care that we were in the nose bleed seats. The Joe that night was as loud as any arena I've ever been to and it was a great experience to see.

The Ford's must be clueless! I think all they think about is the financial part of the team, and they don't care about whether the team wins. To them, it's all about the 65,000 fools that will shell out and eat their shitty brats, drink their watery over priced beer.
I was given tickets a couple of years ago, and since I'd not been to Ford Field, I went. The "music" before the game was so goddamned loud that I had to roll up napkins and put them into my ears. I bought a bratwurst and a beer. They were so fucking cheap, they couldn't put out any onions to put on a 7 dollar sandwich, only yellow mustard.

I had such a headache in the third quarter, that my brother and I said fuck this and left...NEVER AGAIN!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knew that we would look back wistfully on the Wayne Fonts (blessed with Barry) years.

Hornist9

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, I still think Barry retired because he could see the writing on the wall, that old man Ford was never gonna shell out enough money to get talent to support Barry. Ever since Barry left, the team has sucked ass. I don't think a football genius such as Bill Parcells could make a winner out of the Loins due to owner interference.

Now if only the Media would quit reporting the line of shit they spout nearly every day, then maybe the Loins would just go away.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lions need to follow the example of Mike Ilitch and what he did with two troubled sports franchises. It took a while to happen but when Mike Ilitch put reputable management at the top of the Red Wings and the Tigers organizations, Scotty Bowman/Ken Holland/Jimmy Devellano for the Red Wings, Dave Dombrowski/JimLeyland for the Tigers, that each team was able to build itself into a contender. WC Ford has flip-flopped with coaches and management so often it resembles a Third World junta.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.