Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Wire and Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone notice the similarities between what was shown of Baltimore in the Wire (HBO series) and Detroit?
Clarence Page and Barack Obama say it is their favorite show. It definitely shows a bleak inner city and the struggles of city leaders and police to
combat all the problems inherent with the situation.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know is I love that show, I just ordered it through netflix last nite.

Just realized this is post #420, sounds like cause to celebrate.

(Message edited by Django on May 18, 2008)

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that show. Interesting thing to note--at the City Building last week, waiting for the City Council's Closed Session to end, this Kilpatrick supporter was giving me hell. He looked just like Senator Clay Davis.

Best show on television--ever!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 421
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you also familiar with the show,"the corner" I think its called. Same writers.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Just saw the show depicting the trial and an exact copy of one of Detroit's most prominent and unique lawyers, Think pony-tail.

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, The Corner is the same guys, based on a book they wrote where they followed a family in which both adults are addicts and their son is a dealer. Great mini-series. Check it out. They also have a new project (Ed Burns and David Simon) called Generation Kill, about the Iraq war.

The Wire is far and away the best show ever in my opinion. I just finished the final season and I already miss Bubbles.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 597
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A previous thread from February, 2008 HBO The Wire is here somewhere.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shiiiiiit! as Clay Davis would say. Is Kwame going to be a slick as Clay and beat the rap? Only time will tell us...

Emma Bully Cummings a Valvechek if I ever saw one...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.