Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Packard plant tunnels « Previous Next »
Archive through May 19, 2008Pgn42130 05-19-08  4:38 pm
Archive through May 22, 2008Django30 05-22-08  9:39 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 536
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My gf and I are still okee-dokee. I should have an extra light.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kickass Fish. As long as I got one coming, Ill be there. That would be great If you have an extra lite. I havnt made it to get a new one yet.

Django

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One hour folks, If anyone else is interested, come on down. I have a feeling theres going to be only a couple of ppl showing up. This is just a reminder.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 429
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have fun, guys, and post pics/stories when you get back. If I didn't live in NY, I'd have joined you!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we want to hear All about it.

Django

Post Number: 542
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back, Fishtoes and his lovely Karen showed up and we had a great time for almost 3 hours. Ive got a few pics but Fishtoes has the majority of them as I dont have a flash for my camcorder still shots. Ill put them up as soon as I can. First I want to go drink a few of these Coronas they so graciously bought for me.

Thank you Karen and Fishtoes.

Django

Post Number: 544
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt have a flash so all my shots are daylit. Fishtoes has some of the tunnels, these are all "artist" works by local "vandals"

where

the

hell

were

Fishtoes

all you

today?  you could

Fishtoes woman, Karen

have had a

The duo

beer with me

Me with the booty

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 704
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12960
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That don't look like no booty, that's a bottle.

I've SEEN booty before...just try and shake it.

See?! Not it.

It's only booty if you can shake it.

Now, if we're talking BOUNTY...

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only two showed up? I'm bummed! I thought you'd have a crowd. Any chance of a Saturday tour? So, your price is Coronas? Ever tried Negra Modelo?

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 537
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django was the perfect tour guide. We had a great time -- very memorable. I took quite a few photos, so I'll work on getting them on-line this weekend.

Coincidently, we determined that we both share a couple good friends -- and we're both going to their wedding next week.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anything to see besides the graffiti, er, I mean, "art"? No offense, I'm still trying to see this as art. Here, let me try:

Picture #1: One masked man putting another in a headlock, three guys with weird masks, one guy with a very unfortunate mouth deformity. Message: This is a tough place, we wear weird masks, my mouth hurts?

#2: G...O...U...P...C, with an upsidedown cross in the U. Message: I haven't a clue!

#3: AMZ and a rocking horse? Message: This is a good place to dump your trash.

#4: coupyuns. I give up!

#5: A cartoon face and e.b.e. Must be the artist initials.

#6: Thumbs up. Everythings cool. You're cool, I'm cool. (Karen's cool)

#7: A "very unique" set of stairs!

#8: A window with no glass, an empty factory

#9: Put a tricorn on his head and a parrot on his shoulder and you'd have "Django, the Pirate of the Packard Plant". (no offense on your disability)

Did I come close on any? I'm trying!

Django

Post Number: 552
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, your right on target. congrats.

Django

Post Number: 553
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes and karen, I still cant get over that coincidence that we all know Vince and Stacy, and were going to their wedding. This is gonna be good.

Vince was the one who totally hooked me up with the website for the rocks, he did all kinds of PR work for me. Truly one of the best friends I have as well as best humans I know. Stacy rocks as well, such a sweetie.

Django

Post Number: 555
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit, this thread wasnt meant to be about sprayers, but more about the tunnels and the Packard in general. The pics are current pics of the Packard.

But as long as your critiquing art, heres some of my favorite artists works, tell me what you think.

Ill name the artists later.

I removed the mapplethorpe pic.

(Message edited by django on May 25, 2008)

(Message edited by django on May 25, 2008)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 893
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where are the pics of the tunnels?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2761
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" I would think my old opening is still there as it was pretty well hidden but the safety issue concerns me"

Um.. MCS (train station) is so absolutely open its stupid. You could bring your grandma.

Yes please - pics of these Packard tunnels.

Oh and Djang - I do still have a huge set of photos of the wonderful rock stacking thing on the island if you dont have your own.

mauser765 at yahoo dot com.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#1. "You just woke me up from a good night's sleep. Do you know what I do to people like you? This may be Tulsa, Oklahoma, but we're just as tough as Detroit!"

#2. I can clearly make out a vase. Maybe an olive to the left of it. The rest looks kind of like a Picasso. That guy never did seem to get the facial features placed right could he?

#3. "I could have spent 2 hours painting this wall, but instead I spent 20 hours cutting out circles and pasting them to the wall."

#4. A modern Geisha Girl had a bad night.

#5. "Let me see... I can't think of anything to paint, so I'll just throw some paint at a canvas, call it art, hang it in the Guggenheim, and be famous."

#6. This one I recognize. I think the ladies were going to the opera in NY? But I'll pretend I don't know that and say: "Ronald McDonald's twin sister and Burger Queen walk past a model displaying the latest Detroit fashions."

Django

Post Number: 565
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty good.
1. Larry Clark, from his book Tulsa
2. Picasso, I believe its vase on a shelf
3. Tyree of course, we actually ran into him today on the way to the picnic.
4. Nan Goldin, Trixi on a cot.
5. Jackson Pollock, untitled.
6. Weege, yes, its calld Night at the opera.

Redwingz
Username: Redwingz

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The artwork puts Picasso to shame. Much more creative. I don't understand why this isn't "classic" art.

John E.
Runyon @ Greiner
Lately of San Jose
Still a Detroiter

Django

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redz, Im not exactly sure what you mean. The 5 other artists that were posted with Picasso?, or Picasso against the "Graffiti Artists" and if so are you being sarcastic?

I think I may have mentioned this somewhere but here goes again. I havnt been on the DY in a few years. I honestly had no idea there would be such a backlash toward the graffiti. I just never gave it that much thought. Live and learn. Im still not backing down off of my original thought that if the sprayers are doin their thing on an abandoned house or building, Im down with that. Anything owned by someone who gives a shit, Ill bitch their ass out myself, and Ive done it. I just cant deny the fact that I love checking out even a simple "tag" on an old burned out house or building. Thats what makes Detroit unique to me. Its never been about some kid running around sprayin his name on a house.

My offer is still on the table. Id love a decent "artist" to come and do the entire side of my house. I couldnt pay them but I would do my best to recommend them for similar jobs if they did a nice piece.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - just a warning from somebody who knows: if you keep defending graffiti here (even as outsider art), you will be relegated to being a pariah.

Django

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, your not the only one whose warned me, and I thank you. I do want to squeek out from under this topic as Im feeling squished. I just cant help what I feel. I can relate with waking up, going outside to find your building vandalized by taggers, and being pissed. Its the abundance of abandoned build.....well,,,, Im gonna stop now.
Thanks Maus.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,
Nothing wrong with Graffiti art on buildings such as the Packard Plant. I enjoyed the photos you posted. The problem is in where do you draw the line. The Graffiti "artists" don't seem to know.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 542
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photos are posted. Note that there's a slideshow option near the upper right.
Packard photos

Django

Post Number: 577
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kickass.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2792
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice ! Looks like that was a fun day. That place is strangely relaxing.

Django

Post Number: 582
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really is, Its quiet, strangely a nice place to hang out for an afternoon.

I want to make a correction about the tunnels. they do not go all the way down the street anymore. So there is no exit at the end, you must backtrack I would say about 20 yards to the nearest "out".

Im still kind of bummed only two showed up. But it was still a lot of fun.

Id gladly do it again.

Happy Memorial day everyone, And to all the Vets, Thank You.

Bigglenlake
Username: Bigglenlake

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to add my two cents on the issue of graffiti. I think that to most people graffiti on buildings infers a sense of lawlessness and lack of societal control. I am not addressing whether the areas actually are lawless and out of control, I am only discussing the perception that they are. Anyone who has an interest in seeing people move back to an area or who would like to see tourism increase in an area should be aware of the negative connotations of graffiti and how it can deter people from visiting.

Django

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya Big, my only argument really is that with a burned out house sitting there, Is it really that much worse. Most kids carrying around guns and selling dope dont also carry spraycans.

This weeks metro times Page 26. That house is actually right next to a friends old building that I helped renovate. The artist had to use my friends yard to set up his ladder to do the work on the side of it.

Maus, i dont know what to do, Am I just supposed to shut up on how I feel. I dont want to piss anyone off, Id like to waken a few up. I truly feel for the ppl who wake up in the morning and find their property sprayed, I am by no means defending that BS.

I gotta look up pariah.

Django

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ouch

Mauser765

Post Number: 2821
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah dude, I got hounded for years from talking about that topic. You can talk about it as much as you want, but you will attacked incessantly as if you were the "vandal" yourself. A certain poster starts to go down the "how would you like it if I spraypainted YOUR house" thing. It will just be a feeding frenzy.

Lowell also gets crap for showing photos of graffiti or for discussing it, - even on a sociological level.

I had a graffiti gallery on my site with tens of thousands of paintings going back 8 years, but I finally took it down due to blowback.

Django

Post Number: 656
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maus. Wheres your site? Id love to check it out. Are you just online or do you have a physical gallery as well.

And I very much appreciate the advice.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 568
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban Art will be showcased in the Dequindre cut like it should be. This is the perfect example of Detroit becoming Detroit, like so many want. That is so awesome that they are keeping that there. Tags and graffiti art are totally different. Unless, of course you are tagging your own art, on your own space. Not all graffiti is bad.

Now that stuff on our highway medians is a whole different story. We need to get that cleaned up.

I'm looking forward to seeing some rock sculptures in the cut too. LOL, someone might spray them though.

Django

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SofD, what a great Idea. I never even thought of that. I was trying to find an e mail for Alicia Mintor, head of Belle Isle park as weve had a rocky relationship. After a disagrement, my rocks were knocked down morning after morning. I dont know who was responsible, But anyway I just gave up. I was going to ask for a truce. I was planning to start stacking again after Lowell convinced me I should keep at it while we were talking at the picnic.. And what a perfect place to restart it. Thank you.

And yes, that is VERY kickass their leaving the artwork or vandalism (depending on how you think)up on the cut. Do you know when its going to be officially open? If anyone here knows anyone involved in that project, Id be interested in finding out if I could have some broken concrete either brought in or left there.

Anyone, anyone?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.