Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Highland Park hotel name « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to remember the name of a hotel in Highland Park.

It would have been on the north side of West Grand, just west of Woodward, a block north of Davidson. If you come up with the name, does it still exist?

Thanks

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one?

http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r20mf68 27qx6&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&d ir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5632819&p hx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

It's still there, vacant, exposed, mostly burned, and badly damaged. Doesn't look like there's much of a roof either. I don't know the name but I drive by it almost every day.

Detroitsky
Username: Detroitsky

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's the one in the map, then it's the old Hotel Granwood.

Douglasm

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That be it. The sign on the side of the building facing Woodward should say something about Color TV and at one time said something about "Highland Park's Largest Hotel". The guy who owned it was a conservative coot who let a friend of mine live in a main floor suite for nothing because he was the state chairman for Young Americans For Freedom.

I can tell this story safely now that my parents are dead. In the late '60's, I would catch a bus in Midland (I went to Northwood (University) Institute) on Friday, spend the night at the Chessmate, then catch a couple of busses and roll into the Grandwood about 3:30 in the morning and get a $5 room. That afternoon (checkout was 1pm), I'd move on to Plum Street, spending the evening listening to folk and jazz at the Wisdom Tooth, catching an early bus back to Midland Sunday morning.

Thanks for looking it up for me. Appreciate it.

doug

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Doug, that's pretty wild for a kid from conservative Northwood. It's still really conservative now. My daughter graduated from there a few years ago.

Douglasm

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact that Northwood was (is) conservative doesn't mean I was, but to show you how truely square the college was at the time (AA '68, transfered to EMU summer of '69), I was THE campus radical, and it wasn't like I was a died in the wool hippie or anything.

Got to admit, though that Midland wasn't exactly the entertainment bright spot of Central Michigan, especially for a kid that didn't have a car. The Blue Light teen club was the only rock outlet, and its claim to fame (for me) was seeing The Amboy Dukes there for $2 just before "Baby Please Don't Go" hit it big.

Oh, ask your grad if Pizza Sams still exists.....

Runningman
Username: Runningman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great story Douglasm -

Looking at this old brick-shizzlehaus, it's just another shame of a wasted resource paid for long ago that our generation (and perhaps one previous) has wasted by a failure to simply provide general maintenance. Maybe one day some corporate hotel chain will build a piece of crap metal-stud building (not like this fortress still standing after its roof is long gone - if a modern building lost its roof, it would be a total demo project...) with crap components for which people will pay $80/night to pay a cashier through a bullet-proof glass window....nice.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 727
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fraternity used to rent the basement ballroom of the Granwood Hotel for parties. The management did not seem overly (or even a little bit) concerned about underage drinking or loud music. Good times! I'm lucky to be alive today.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4804
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granwood Highland Park Michigan

The Granwood from the Fabulous Apartment Ruins of Detroit tour...

Douglasm

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I never would have thought of The Grandwood as an apartment building, it's always been a hotel in my mind. Looking at the front of the building, the shop to the right of the main entrance was at one time a locksmith shop, and the two boarded up windows to the left were where my friend lived.

There's got to be a backstory to this hotel in the same way there are for others. I remember the lobby area as being quite large, and at one time was probably fairly spiffy, and I assume at one time, before the Holiday Inn, it was THE place to stay in Highland Park. Anyone know anything about its history?

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well .I would imagine ,in the old days when the Ford factory was hopping, and Chrysler Corp. was too. it would have been a place to stay for an out of towner or some manufacturing rep. ,instead of going all the way downtown to stay. In my days it was a low cost hotel. They then built the Howard Johnson complex down near the Mcgregor library, and the in the 60's .our illustrious mayor Bill Blackwell had the Holiday Inn built on Gerald and John R. Which I think had a pretty bad reputation for other things going on in there. Right Across from the Grandwood, use to be the Grand Theater. Due East, across Woodward was the Medical Arts Building that Howard Mordue use to run.On the corner of Davison and Woodward, ,there was a little news stand run by Judge Cody and his wife. He was an interesting little guy, and he had an out of place home built right along ,what was a small park ,along John R. from Winona ave.South to Farand Park Ave. Not sure if he really was an actual Judge once in Highland Park??His house was long and narrow, but built like a home out in the suburbs. Just looked out of place with the rest of the homes along those streets. The one thing that use to draw me me to his little shop was that he sold comic books and most of all ,magic tricks.You could buy all the magic tricks that were available back then from his little shop.I could probably list 25 different classic magic tricks that I got from that store as a kid.
In the late 50's he moved a little to the North of the corner and oppened the Cody's Elias Bros, Big Boy restaurant. Even had curb service coming in from the alley between Davison and Grand Ave. Sort of different for a Big Boy, which usually was a stand alone building. Seems that anything was possible in Highland Park in the old days. Later on ,they built a Red Barn Restaurant there on Grand and Woodward. If I only bothered to take pictures of things while growing up.

Douglasm

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean about pictures.

I was told once by my dad, an engineer for Chrysler who worked in Highland Park, that the Holiday Inn was built so visitors to the Chrysler HQ had a place to stay close buy.

Does anyone know when the Grandwood was built? Obviously after "down the hall" restrooms went out of vogue, but before individual ones. I believe the little windows between the large sets of double ones were the windows in the shared bathrooms.

Where the Wendys is now, I remember the lot containing a business block of 3 (?) storefronts taking up half the block, with a King Auto Sales lot the rest.

I was wondering if that was the Medical Arts building across the street. Was that the one with the Segrams 7 Crown ad painted on the north side?

Thank you all for your information. It's been a long, long time and I'm glad your memories are good, so I can refresh mine.

doug

Jgavrile

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there was the Red Mill Bar where the Big Boy was, and then there was also another bookstore/newsatnd/girlie magazines, in that block, along with the Grand Theater at the corner.The old Cody newstand was at the corner of Davison and Woodward, then the King Auto sales went in. I can't remember if the bible bookstore was in that block or not??

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 652
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

he had an out of place home built right along ,what was a small park ,along John R. from Winona ave.South to Farand Park Ave. Not sure if he really was an actual Judge once in Highland Park??His house was long and narrow, but built like a home out in the suburbs. Just looked out of place with the rest of the homes along those streets.

This the one?

Jgavrile

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No his was further South between Winona and farand. Opposite where Barber School is at Buena Vista Ave.. I am pretty sure the house is still there.
Try this area;http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&output=html&hl=en&q=12950+Jo hn+R.+Highland+Park+Michigan&b tnG=Search+Maps

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox, that is Judge Cody's house. I used to play football on what looks to be the front yard but was really city property. Back then their front door faced Buena Vista. Good friends of mine lived next door and directly across Buena Vista.

Jgavrile, take another look. The house shown is between Winona and Farrand Park. Barber School is in the picture although Buena Vista no longer goes through to John R.

Jman

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, I don't know when the Granwood was built but I remember that even in the 40's and 50's it was a lower class hotel. I do know that a couple of my favorite bookies lived there. I don't remember the Big Boy. It must have been built after I moved out of H.P. in 61.

As Jgavrile points out, there was a newsstand on the corner, a vacant lot and my favorite, a White Tower Hamburger stand. Next was a store front of many uses and then the Grand Theatre.

I don't remember a 7 Crown ad but that was the Medical Arts Building on the northeast corner of Grand and Woodward.

(Message edited by Jman on May 19, 2008)

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Jman is correct, that is the house. I live in the area. Again, love reading your recollections about HP. Your memories are so amazingly detailed. Must have been a great place to grow up in.

Jman

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lugotown, It was the best. Great city services, great schools and lots of things to do to keep kids out of trouble.

If you have any questions I'm sure Jgarvile or myself could help out. I'm thinking that in most cases Jgarvile will remember best as he is a few years younger than I and doesn't have CRS (can't remember s--t) as I do.

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I replaced the exterior entry doors at the Granwood back in the late 80's I believe. A little old lady was leaving the parking lot across the street and put it in forward instead of reverse. She somehow drove over the little concrete parking lot curb, crossed the street and drove right through the main entry which was only 2" wider than the car! The mirrors ripped the storefront framing cleanly off the walls, on both sides, without leaving a scratch on those walls! The tow truck did more damage taking the car out than the car did going in. Man... I did a lot of work in that area back in the day.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6514
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, remember the street is Davison.
jjaba's dentist, Dr. Peters, did jjaba's dental work in the Medical Arts Bldg. high up over the Davison Ditch. jjaba has good memories of Dr. Peters, although who likes to go there?

Later, semi-retired, he moved the practice to Livonia as it was being built up.

jjaba, riding the bus on the Davison Ditch.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before the expressway there was another street called Wildemere next to Davison. This is the street that got eliminated in order to make the expressway on Davison. There were stores along Woodward between Wildemere and Davison. Seems like there was a Drug Store on the corner? In looking at several of the photos from the Wayne State collection, it looks like there was a gas station once on the North west corner of Davison and Woodward .This would have been 1941.There is a big sign at the alley for Parkson Furniture??
Going West from the corner on the South side, it looks like there was a cleaners and then a laundry, West of the Drug store. On Woodward it looks like there was a small grocery just South of the drugstore.Then further South, I can't make it out, then there was a Mark Jewelry Store.
Check these two shots out;
http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?rgn1=vmc_ti;op2=And;rgn2=vmc_ti;med=1;q1= davison;size=20;c=vmc;back=bac k1211218517;subview=detail;res num=27;view=entry;lastview=thu mbnail;cc=vmc;entryid=x-12110- und-2;viewid=12110_2

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?rgn1=vmc_ti;op2=And;rgn2=vmc_ti;med=1;q1= davison;size=20;c=vmc;back=bac k1211218809;subview=detail;res num=8;view=entry;lastview=thum bnail;cc=vmc;entryid=x-12110;v iewid=12110

My God! , I had completely forgot about the White Tower?? It was a little north of the King Auto sales ,right next to the lot. I am wondering about the newstand? If there was a gas station on the corner in 41, then it must have been torn down in order to build Cody's newstand?
On the Southeast corner of Davison was the Russel -Kelly building. My Dad's restaurant was at the corner of Beresford and Woodward ,called the Atlas Cafe.later after being sold as Valentines. Then next door was my dad's Bar , the Atlas Bar, then was originally, Alfred E. Crosby funeral parlor, which became the Vasu funeral home. Then was some other store?? then on the corner ,originally was J.B. Cote Ford dealership, which became a Hudson dealership, which in turn became Benson's furniture store, then a Desoto/Plymouth dealership, then a paint store, and last of all a furniture store again I think?? Someone correct me if I am wrong. After my Dad had retired and the bar sold and changed names,to Fancy Pants, there was that Vincent Chin murder out in back where some disgruntle laid off auto workers accused him of being Japanese, but in reality ,he was Chinese.
Upstairs were offices and at the top floor were the "Kelly Girls" . I think this is where the Kelly Girl Office help originated.?? The building has been torn down now and a large Sunoco gas station/food mart is in its place.

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?rgn1=vmc_ti;op2=And;rgn2=vmc_ti;c=vmc;med =1;q1=davison;back=back1211220 417;size=20;subview=detail;res num=41;view=entry;lastview=thu mbnail;cc=vmc;entryid=x-3027-u nd-5;viewid=3027_5

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?rgn1=vmc_ti;op2=And;rgn2=vmc_ti;med=1;q1= davison;size=20;c=vmc;back=bac k1211220563;subview=detail;res num=30;view=entry;lastview=thu mbnail;cc=vmc;entryid=x-78931- und-2;viewid=78931_2

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must be thinking of a different street, Jgav... Wildemere still exists in its entirety, and is a north-south (ish) street, which intersects with Davison between Dexter and Linwood.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman, I used to remember an older kid, who lived on Buena Vista, I think his name was Bob, and his Dad fixed televeisons/radios? Also a little further East was Bob, Noble, and Fred(Fritz) Hess. I remember that Noble was one that always got into trouble.
The police really didn't like us to play football ,or any sports for that matter, on that parkway.
This is why we were so good at playing alley baseball. Line drives, or you were out.
Some of those old people ,used to lock the gates, and grease the top of the fences ,so we wouldn't go over them to get our baseball.

Jman

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the street in H.P. was Windemere.

Jgarvile, Bob and I were good friends. His Dad was an Atlas customer until Briggs Body closed it's doors. He took the pledge and became a tv/radio repairman. I thought it was Charlie, Noble and Fred.

The police never bothered us but Mrs. Cody would run us off if we were making to much noise.

Jman

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jgavrile, do you remember the public restroom on the corner of Gerald and Woodward on the north side of the street? It was underground and had an attendant with towels, aftershave, etc. He would brush off the suits of the men with a whiskbroom. There was a tip bowl so he was never to happy to see kids down there. The ground level entrance always reminded me of a mausoleum.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are probably right about the older Hess Brother.
Boy, I remember one night, my cousin George from the Atlas was sitting in the S & C diner, and Noble was in there too. For what ever reason, he decided to start aggravating George ,and ended up throwing sugar or salt at him?? well George was not the person to fool with. In spite of his small stature, he was a seasoned Korean War veteran, and Noble ended up going through one of those windows of the S & C.
Another time in Barber School, Noble was in Mrs Ring's 5th grade class, and he was tapping his feet on the leg extensions under the desk, which were made of metal. She told him to stop, and he just started up again ,in a few minutes? Well she finally got pretty pissed and grabbed him out of his desk and tore off both his shoes, and then through them out the open second story window. That was the end of him making noise in the class.
That public restroom on Gerald seems a little strange now?? I wonder who thought that up??
On another subject. Do you remember a good looking gal ,who lived on the middle block of Beresford with her Grandmother?? She sure was good looking and had a great figure. Seems like her name was Noreen?
Also do you remember the old gal that walked Woodward we used to tease and call "Crazy Annie"??
She was a tough old bird.
Got the Free Press papers delivered/dropped one night out in front of the Atlas . They were bound with wire ,and she was coming buy after I had cut the wire off of the bundle and a couple of my friends was standing there talking to me and she walked by ,and one of the guys started teasing her, as she was wearing an old wool long coat and it was pretty warm outside. Anyhow, in the blink of an eye, she grabbed that wire and had it around the friends neck ready to choke him, until we took it away from her. Scarred the hell out of the friend. He never teased her again. Never really knew the story of her?
There was another old coot who used to walk on the West side of Woodward talking to himself all the time and he would constantly look at you as he walked by and kept repeating, "People, People, and more People"? I had the safety patrol crossing at Buena Vista and Woodward ,right in front of that little store, opposite the Pontiac dealer and he would come by all the time and tell me that.
Man, I used to love going to the YMCA and working in that woodshop downstairs. I also liked the woodshop class in Barber school with Mr. Schlieker. I learned alot of good things from him.He was constantly fooling with his feet. Changing shoes and dusting the inside of the shoes with foot powder.
I have a good story to tell about one of our classmates ,who wasn't too bright, and got talked into painting his private parts with some paint one day in the little paint room that Schlieker had set up for us. We all had a good laugh, as we had talked this dufuss into doing this to himself. Don't even remember this kids name. Anyhow , Schlieker walked by the little room and saw what this kid was had done to himself and he really got pretty mad. Closed the door to that little paint room and had the kid cleam himself off with subturps and brown paper towels. I can still hear that kid scream to this day. That must have really burned to use subturps, an himself. We never let that kid forget about how stupid he was.
The other fun thing used to be, to get on one of those Excello wood lathes and get it going full tilt on forward and then put it into reverse. That head plate would screw itself right off of the lathe. The old man sure would send you down to the principal's office for the rest of the day, to sit there in front of the air clock and watch it work .
Also ,do you remember the room to room telephones in the class rooms at Barber??

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6516
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba worked at Wrigley's for 60 cents/hr. on corner of W. Davsion and Greenlawn, long before there was an expressway in front of it.

Vincent Chin's brother, Wang, worked there. We knew him as a Chinese Checker! (old joke)

jjaba, LOL.

Jman

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jgarvile, was that you I saw in the Batmobile?

30th_street
Username: 30th_street

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any memories of the Boys Club on Ferris ?

Jgavrile

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman, I happened to be a good friend of George Barris. My older Son and him have a contract to build "Kustom" cars together. Back a few years ago, Barris had the original Batmobile at his shop out in Commerce. He was getting it prepped for the 100th anniversary at Ford Motor Co. I also worked on this car back in the 60's with George.All those gadgets from the TV series really worked. it was pretty cool.
Anyhow, I decided I needed to take it out for a ride, so I asked my Grandson if he wanted to go to MacDonalds for a sandwich. I jumped in the batmobile and told him to get in and we drove it to McDonalds. brought back some old memories.
George actually built 4 or 5 more copies of this car for filming and tours. the one we had here was the original used in the TV program.
Someone in the Northville area made their own duplicate copy, and it looks pretty good. I see it at the Cruise every year. However it is not an exact copy dimension wise. It is out of scale. My Son took a few pictures me sitting in it and driving it. where did you see them?
Barris is an amazing little character. he is in his mid 80's and just as spry as when he was in his 40's. Just keeps on ticking and working. Quite a guy. he is starting to resemble Mr. Magoo from the old comics.
He has made so many of the Movie and TV cars over the years ,the list is very long.
I just went to a small car show in Novi a couple weeks ago and there was a guy there that had bought the original "Monkey Mobile" at auction. While talking to this owner, I called Barris on my cell phone and told him that the car was here in Detroit and that I was next to the new owner. Funny, is that he had already contacted Barris about the car. It too was in great shape and had recently been restored

Jman

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you should mention the Monkey Mobile as I saw it last Sunday in Northville Twp.

I had no idea that G. Barris had a shop locally.

I go to the Kruse auctions in Auburn In. twice a year and there is always a Batmobile and a Kitt car up for auction.

I'm a non-payin member of Classmates. Saw the picture there.

See you at the cruise. Look for a black 69 GP.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman, its funny ,as the Breck Brothers all use to buy Pontiacs. I think your buddy Doug started that ,as he worked at GM.he sure had a nice black 1960 Catalina convert ,when we were in high school. Anyhow. The youngest Brother Alan ,just sold his 63 Catalina to a guy who now has taken to a frame up restoration of the car. I will be anxious to see how it turned out.
John Breck had a Grand Prix like yours ,only it was the dark green, when they were new.
Now that the weather is getting good, I usually go up to the Shell station btwn 13 and 14. on weekend nights and see the cars up there . They hang out there as long as there is good weather.
Lot of times ,I meet George Delorean up there and we hang out.

Jman

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jgavrile, normally I'm a Mopar guy but somehow or other ended up with the GP. Looks stock but has a built 455 w/ 4 speed.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman ,nice car. Hope to see it up on Woodward some night. Like I said I usually go up to the Shell station and hang out on weekends.
By the way, Doug has a form of inoperable cancer that he is dealing with and gets some kind of treatment. Some kind of bladder or stomache problem. He seems to be holding on okay and in good spirits. his wife Penny(Neasly) thinks he might have to go into assisted living if he gets bad as she doesn't think she can care for him.?
I got rid of all my old cars. I had a buch of high performance Ford over the years, and I had a bunch of 42-48 Fords that I had restored and also had a few made into Street Rods. Got rid of them when I had moved out of town and to other cities. Still have a chopped 64 Fairlane, unfinished.
You can email me sometime and I can send more picture and stuff. jgavrile@peoplepc.com
My Son does enough car stuff to make up for what I no longer do. I just enjoy looking at them and taking pictures now.

Jman

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about Doug. It doesn't sound good.
I remember Penny by name but can't picture her.

You sound like me as I have my car up for sale and just bought a new camera.

I give you a shout at your e-mail address.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.