Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Calloway Fails to Show for Announcement « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

News950
Username: News950

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wwj.com/Calloway-a- No-Show-at-DPS-Newser/2202080

Detroit Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Connie Calloway was a no-show at a news conference Friday morning.

WWJ's Florence Walton was among those on hand on the 10th Floor of the Fisher Building in Detroit expecting to hear an announcement that the district was facing a projected shortfall of $45 million.

In the past, when DPS faced far greater financial challenges, the superintendent of schools has always made the announcement and weathered the resulting storm of questions, but not Dr. Calloway.

Instead, she handed that responsibility off to chief financial officer Joan McCray.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 946
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont see the big deal. To me, $45 million is progress for this district which is used to $200 million shortfalls.

I would imagine that the CFO has more details and knowledge on the subject anyhow.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is news? Who decides to speak at a press conference is news? Must be a slow day.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The media just wants to come down on everyone these days to paint a picture that all of our officials are slacking.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you couple this no-show together with her no-show for a school board meeting where she was supposed to give the details on the school re-organization then I think you might detect a pattern. What issue is important enough to the Superintendent that requires her presence?

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 747
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is a topic that the CFO would have more details and knowledge. But that doesn't relieve the Superintendent from being in attendance.

When there is a news conference, and the media is the audience, Dr. Calloway should be available as well.

When Chrysler holds a news conference to discuss budget issues, you expect Robert Nardelli to be there. When GM holds a news conference in front the media to talk about financials, you expect Rick Wagoner to be there.

This is certainly not looking good for DPS.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I think Marie Thornton is a flake I feel she as a point when she says she thinks this is too big a district for Calloway to handle. Calloway doesn't seem to be real media friendly. She gets up tight because a local radio talk show host rips her from time to time. Whats going to happen when Steve Wilson or somebody like him decides to get on Calloway. She is the leader of the school district. She should not only bring accountablity but inspire confidence among the employees of DPS whom I'm sure morale is at a all-time low. Also people are getting tired of the "I inherited this mess" speech she seems to want to give.
Having said this I think we're stuck with her. DPS doesn't have the money to buy her out, and without a professional search firm (which I guess DPS can't afford) to find a leader that DPS should have. Any leader the DPS board would bring in probably wouldn't be any better.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Having said this I think we're stuck with her. DPS doesn't have the money to buy her out, and without a professional search firm (which I guess DPS can't afford) to find a leader that DPS should have. Any leader the DPS board would bring in probably wouldn't be any better.

To which I would add that anyone with big district experience and qualified enough to handle DPS would decline to be interviewed. I think that is how DPS ended up with Calloway in the first place. Hopefully her reluctance to appear at high-tension events is her only weakness.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree with mike g. If Dr. Calloway is working hard while not at the media stops, i'm fine with it.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question is what else was she doing?
Public relations is very important with the school system which has had bad pr for as long as I remember. She's the "leader" and that means she is the public face for the schools.
She should be around when good or bad news is broadcast.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3121
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As much as I think Marie Thornton is a flake I feel she as a point when she says she thinks this is too big a district for Calloway to handle.

Yeah, not only too big, but also a district in too much trouble. The biggest district she had ever worked at, if I recall, was some district in suburban St. Louis, right?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.