Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anyone live around this? « Previous Next »
Archive through May 16, 2008Rax30 05-16-08  1:27 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Thinking for yourself might be worth a shot."

Oh yes, I totally agree. Since I haven't been to Detroit in 30+ years I'm relying on the people who live there to help us narrow down which area to even have on our work sheet when we do arrive. We're only going to have a week we can spend up there and this way we don't drive through areas we really don't need to be. Anyone who asks me about Atlanta I advise them where they don't need to go. Living most of our lives in Atlanta we know which areas you don't venture into after dark and which areas you don't venture into at all.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also keep in mind that nobody on this thread has yet to say that they live in that area...

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly!

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why in f$%k would you guess close to downtown? There are 800,000 people in this city and only a small fraction of them live downtown. That being said, midtown :-), but i have a friend who lives in the neighborhood and is renovating a home there, closer to the hospital. It's not all peaches and cream, but people who do not live in the neighborhood should not give advice about how unsafe it is.

Rid0617

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife brought up the fact since I'm a retired Atlanta cop and I'm on a schedule (for some reason)where I wake up at noon and stay up till 4 I could be my own security guard LOL.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 520
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you want to have to be your own security guard? I know you were just joking, but I'm serious. Because this is what life will end up being if you move to this area. I lived in the Boston-Edison area not far from this house, for 5 years and can tell you first hand, that I became my own security guard after having people commit so many property crimes against me. And then after you have someone break into your house in the middle of the night while you're sleeping, you say to yourself, why the hell did I move hear again? Oh yeah, I got my house for really cheep and I was told by some guy on a forum that I would live like a king.
Just a shot of reality for ya'.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How sad! This beautiful old home that could use a good family to care for it, and it's in a crappy neighborhood, so nobody wants it. Maybe, if people could muster up the courage, they could move en masse into these fantastic homes, and start taking back their neighborhoods and their city...and I know, it's so much easier said than done.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Rid0617
Shoot me an email at info@detroitroom.com

Rid0617

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krawlspace I just sent it.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a very soft spot for LaSalle, I grew up in 15614 LaSalle which a ways away from this house...mine was between Fenkell and Puritan. But my cousins grew up not far from there. I love the fabulous houses there, but, even though I am a native Detroiter I wouldnt move there. I agree with Chub to a large extent; I dont think I would feel secure at night. When the city hires 5,000 more police and commits them to patroling the neighborhoods, then maybe I will change my mind.

(Message edited by Leoqueen on May 16, 2008)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 726
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When LaSalle Blvd. was developed in the teens and 20's there was a pronounced economic difference between the houses and residents on LaSalle and the area through which it ran, from West Grand Blvd. to Central HS, north of Bo-Ed. However, there was not so much of a social difference. Everyone attended the same synagogues, churches, and public schools. Folks shopped at the same markets on Linwood, 12th, and Dexter. People interacted with their neighbors of varying social/economic standing. Your doctor lived on LaSalle, your child's teacher lived in a flat on Euclid, the rabbi lived on Edison, your grocer lived on Lothrop, and your mechanic lived on Glynn Court.

In the 50's things started to change. Now, there is virtually no interaction across economic/social/racial lines amongst the various groups of people. Things have changed.

When I drive on LaSalle Blvd. in that area now (and I do very often), I see it as I want it to be: one of the most beautiful streets in Detroit. But I am greatly saddened because I also must see the present state of much of the street.

Rid0617, don't move there. If you like that type of house, look in Boston/Edison where you will find an active, committed community that works to promote and stabilize their neighborhood.

By the way, Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick lives in a large, beautifully kept house on LaSalle where the mayor grew up. Her daughter lives in an even nicer one next door.

Finally, some of the largest, most beautiful two-family flats in Detroit are much farther north on LaSalle, between McNichols and Puritan. It is a beautiful neighborhood.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 600
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to bank at LaSalle, but now it's called Comerica.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I used to bank at LaSalle, but now it's called Comerica.

Uh, no it's not.

Rid0617

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr that is so strange. You would think if the mayors relatives live there it would get the best of everything. That type of action even goes on down here.

Rid0617

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now to me this is shocking. I contacted the agent who said this home has been vacant since June 2007.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid, what criteria do you use to determine a neighborhood in Atlanta would not be desirable?

Another thing, you cannot tell by the picture if that beautiful house is livable. At that price, I would worry about the heating system, plumbing, wiring and fixtures. Hot water heat was common at that time, and burst pipes can cause a world of hurt.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7361
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid0617

I've been through that west side ghettohood. Nice well kept up houses, fewer vacant properties, more abandoned houses just blocks down. Neighbors are mostly hard core thugs, single black mothers playing house. Black males oppressed by the hip hop crowd " Get money or go broke!" Buy that house at your own risk.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rid,
Although there are elements of single mothers and hip hop, There is also an element of well established african american families who have lived in the area for the past 40 years. One side of my grandmothers is how I say the other side of the street is more of how danny says the area. It really all depends on the neighbors.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i,d say RID check it out and use your instinct as a cop, some people think i,m nuts for buying my house [ one mile from Inksters Little Saigon ] yet only trouble i,ve had is with the dog catcher. as with any house that old, there are surprises.

Rid0617

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed something funny. I start asking about the house and when I looked at it a few minutes ago they have lowered the price to $10,000. We did check about the heat and it's forced air gas heat. I'm sure it's going to need some repairs especially after sitting almost a year and that's just too much temptation for vandals. Once again we're not all that interested in resale, we just want something to live in payment free for life.

We've decided this weekend for sure we make the decision whether to make a trip up to look at it and the city or let it drop once and for all. Keep all my new friends posted.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rid if you come to see this house, I will meet up with you and go see it with you.

Rid0617

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you since I'm not quite sure how the neighbors would react to us looking around. You know, I need to ask a question I've been holding off on because I didn't want anyone taking it the wrong way. How would a black neighborhood feel about a white family moving in? Here and especially Atlanta your family neighborhoods are a little cautious. Once they see you just want to be part of the neighborhood your welcomed and invited to every family picnic. But I don't know about Detroit after all it has been through. Will keep you posted

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure. In my neighborhood we have some white neighbors but they keep to themselves. I am hoping to change that.

Rid0617

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can always solve that. I'm a people person and enjoy knocking on doors meeting new people.

Reddog289

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heck i,m tempted to find me a bargin, should check warrendale, then i could get rid of my kids. and the youngest could still go to Vista. She could walk.

Rid0617

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'm a no body but to me that is how Detroit can rebuild. It might not be as rich as it once was but if you can get enough people to come up there, occupy these homes and fix them up and they would be out of a house payment. They may only be able to find $7-$9 an hour jobs but with a home paid for it's workable. Do the old Detroit in reverse. Live in the city, work in the suburbs.

Reddog289

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i allmost did that Rid cept, i,m close enuff to walk to work. Back in the 50,s my father lived in Detroit worked in Livonia 1st then Ypsi,Thanks to the VA and GM, HE got to save gas by driving his 56 Chevy less than if he stayed in Detroit.

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come property taxes are a couple thousand a year for a property worth $20,000?

Rid0617

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats another reason I'm looking at this house strong. It's 3.3 miles from the VA hospital and when your an agent orange patient you need better VA care than we get in South Carolina. On the property tax deal, I think the city still thinks it's worth more than they can sell it for. I've wondered what it would be on re-appraisal?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rid0617, I won't bore you with another discouraging warning as I have done repeatedly in other threads. Let me just say that if that house was a good deal, I would have already bought it and another 20 more just like it!

If you want to get a visual feel for the neighborhood, I would suggest you go here:

http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAu ODQ1MStMYVNhbGxlK0JsdmQlNDAyJT JjK0RldHJvaXQrTUklN2Vzc3QuMCU3 ZXBnLjEmYmI9NTguMDc3ODc2MjY3OD c1MiU3ZS0zOC41ODM5ODQzNzUlN2Uy MS40NTMwNjg2MzMwODY4JTdlLTEyNy 41MjkyOTY4NzU=

Select "Bird's Eye View", zoom in, and rotate camera counterclockwise, and pan around. Realize that is what your neighborhood will look like at 1000' and that everything looks nicer up there! For example: Yellow curtains aren't a fashion fad in Detroit; those are boarded up windows!

Unfortunately, Google hasn't done a "Street View" of this house, but they have done some of the surrounding neighborhood. Here's the closest I got:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.09024,-9 5.712891&spn=47.167389,92.8125 &z=4&om=1&layer=c&utm_campaign =en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-goo gle-svn&utm_medium=ha

(I can't seem to get this to zoom in properly. You'll have to type in the address. It will place you along LaSalle, but too far northwest, so you'll have to pan to the southeast. Sorry.)

Just remember the old saying: "You get what you paid for."

Good luck, friend!

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/139633.html?1211252513

Get serious, everybody.

Rid0617

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric I would but if I wanted to have a mortgage I would stay here.

Rid0617

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Retroit. I found your first link and your correct it all looks good from 1,000 feet. The second link didn't want to work, took me to a map of the U.S.

As much as this house is beautiful we've slowed down on that one as someone on the forum has turned us on to another possible house in a better area. Little smaller than we were looking for but we're open to everything.

Another reason is I know the people on this forum want more folks to come to Detroit to help build it. The advise has been don't buy the house not come to Detroit. I really thank everyone for their honesty. It is appreciated. When I went huh was when the broker told me it has been vacant since June 2007. Looked at my wife and told her I got the feeling a year later it don't look like the picture.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't need to take on a mortgage. The 3,750 square foot house next door to us was bought at auction for $5,000 cash. The new owner is doing the restoration himself and plans on moving his family in this fall!

The link I posted is for a Homebuying Toolkit; we'll show would-be residents exactly how to buy, fix, and enjoy great homes in great neighborhoods.

Come on people! No more excuses - if there's a will, there's a way! Come join us in Islandview Village - Detroit's BEST neighborhood!

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are open to other ideas here is one:

http://listings.listhub.net/pa ges/MIREAL/455/30612455/?chann el=trulia Decent area, right by UD-Mercy. Relatively busy street, but not insanely so.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit, are you a resident of the city of Detroit? Why are you so adamant about discouraging this fellow? Do you think that the current residents of La Salle live in fear for their lives?

Rid0617, if you are coming to Detroit to look at the other house, why not schedule a showing at the La Salle House since you'll already be in town. Plus, I have seen houses that have been sitting on the real estate market for MONTHS. Their pictures are updated periodically.

I wouldn't be surprised if that picture for that house was taken in the early spring (like around March) of this year. The leaf-less trees in the foreground and background suggest the picture was not taken last June.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with the previous poster...I'd move it. In fact, I wish that more people would consider moving homes. Whole empty lots could be used for urban farming in the meantime and may expedite regeneration of the neighborhood. 50K seems a mite steep to move that house, though.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing that hasn't been made too clear in this thread is that even in Detroit, no house that is being sold for $10,000 is in a condition that is anywhere close to being habitable. That is simply an economic fact. Who wants to bet that the house on LaSalle hasn't been stripped of any valuable fixtures and even perhaps most of its plumbing? There's a lot more to the equation than,"Well, yeah, maybe I have to put up with some 'hood antics' on the part of my neighbors, but look at how inexpensively I can live."

Any purchaser will need plenty of cash or be willing to borrow lots of money in order to complete the repairs that are certain to be necessary on such a house. These houses need a lot more than some cleaning and a coat of paint. The house on LaSalle almost assuredly needs a new roof, gutters, furnace, complete kitchen, floors refinished, and tons of plaster repair. Cost: $60K at a bare minimum. Without such repairs, cost of living might be cheap, but one will also live like a squatter.

Rid, if you're looking at this as an investment, you have latched onto a bad idea. On the other hand, if you're more interested in the intangible benefits you can derive from restoring a beautiful old house and contributing to the rebirth of a challenged neighborhood and a proud but struggling city, then you should go for it. Good luck with your choice.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother moved a home. It can be a pain in the butt unless you aren't moving it far. Forget buying a house in Detroit and then moving it to Northville, but if you are going a few blocks away (and is the streets are wide enough without too many overhead power lines). it is doable. Figure $15,000 to move it plus $30,000 for a new basement, sewage hookup, etc. The overhead power lines cost about $800 a piece to drop, more if it is a cable tv line. Add in the cost of renovation (a moved house is considered a new construction as far as the housing code goes). If the house is too big, it will have to be cut in half (no, I am not kidding) and then rejoined when it arrives.

You either have to be really into historic preservation, rich enough to not care, or have a fantastic lot nearby to make it really worth moving.

Rid0617

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On the other hand, if you're more interested in the intangible benefits you can derive from restoring a beautiful old house and contributing to the rebirth of a challenged neighborhood and a proud but struggling city, then you should go for it. Good luck with your choice."

There is no investment thought in this. Totally the desire to purchase a paid for home, restore it slowly and be part of the revitalization of Detroit. Any thought of it now will most likely be Boston Edison. They do have an active homeowners association that is trying to fix it up and a security patrol.

Reddog289

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i d love to have moved my grandparents house, but things change and bam i,ts 100,000 to move a 15,000 house. i love that urban farm deal.Detroit with a 4H club. theres gotta be one outthere.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.