Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Where's jjaba trivia contest « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6503
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's your chance to win a jjaba prize.

Identify where jjaba is and why is he there?

Winners must identify both pictures and answer both questions. First person with the BEST answer wins.

jjaba is the sole judge of the contest & personally mails your award. There are no appeals.

jjaba

Photo # 1

Photo # 2

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pic #1: Kalamazoo, for music?

Pic #2: On a bus for a tour of the area?

Just a guess.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kalamazoo Michigan.

WMU class reunion? It's a great day to be a Bronco!

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue's new home in AZ and Jjaba is headed to the foot of lakewood to go fishing with his eastside friends.

ES61 Proudly, Supporting all Bus Trips and AIPAC

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4801
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the Dexter bus, but the Rosa Parks Bus at Greenfield / Ford Museum?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 548
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.) A shule? Local?

2.) Rosa Parks bus at The Henry Ford?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Congregation B'nai Israel of Kalamazoo

2. Rosa Parks Bus at the Henry Ford

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) That can’t be GB’s home. I don’t see any horse manure.

2) He’s there all alone because ES booted him out of the Denby threads.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have intimate knowledge of both photos, being present at the taking of each, and can also answer the "why", therefore winning the BIG prize.
However, unlike Judge Giles who apparently does not recognize that he should recuse himself from Kwame's text message controversy as there is overwhelming evidence of an apparent conflict of interest, I will take the high ( and proper) road and will recuse myself, thus allowing others to answer the "why" portion of this contest.
Not that I couldn't use the 6 tickets for the upcoming Neil Diamond concert at the Palace which I assume is the award for this most difficult trivia contest to date.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1} Kalamazoo location of Jjaba's wedding
2} Rosa Parks bus, Jjaba is sitting in the seat Ralph Albernathy used on December 21 when bus service in Montgomery resumed service on all lines.

December 21st is anniversary for both events.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4802
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I googled the fact that there is a Congregation of Moses in Kazoo. So jjaba being an admitted WMU grad, I will make that my number guess for number one.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6689
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real question is, what is jjaba doing with his hands behind the seat in picture #2.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, he looks pretty happy too huh?

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba is with me at Mackenzie High School; we are rescuing archival copies of DIAL Magazine and STAG yearbooks.

We'll be heading over to Redford High this afternoon & Jjaba's beloved (old) Cass Tech on Saturday.

On Sunday, we will install a Laser-Ion force-field/alarm system at all three schools.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6504
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Detroit #1741 settles the locations.
1. Congregation of Moses in Kalamazoo.

2. Rosa Parks bus at The Henry Ford Museum with jjaba sitting in Rosa's seat and refusing to move.

Now, knowing jjaba, tie him to these places personally.

The Rock's comments prove his true professionalism as an attorney and colleague with inside knowledge. Recusing was a good choice.

Lowell gets a nod for knowledge about The Henry Ford.

jjaba on the Westside.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3137
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Congregation of Moses is where Jjaba came down from the roof bearing these fifteen...(crash, shatter, splinter....)...ten commandments.

2. Rosa Parks knew Jjaba. She thought he was cute, but that was when he was younger.

Well, you asked........

Jjaba

Post Number: 6505
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No winners yet.
Keep trying.
jjaba.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 552
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. The shule you attended while attending Western?

2.) Your commitment to fight for equality for all, and your arrest for protesting? Perhaps the postion you took while being arrested? (Refusing to move)?

Respectfully,
PlymouthRes

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, how did so many of you guys get Kalamazoo so quickly? I'm FROM Kalamazoo, and all I had was this nagging "I've seen that place a million times" feeling. lol

Jjaba

Post Number: 6506
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have two winners. Eastside61 wins for knowing the locations of the photos although he named the bldg. wrong. But jjaba assumes he could read the sign in front of the bldg.

Plymouthres for knowing why jjaba picked the photos.

Actually, jjaba was the first, 4th grade Sunday School teacher in their new 1961 schule. He did attend services there also.

The Rosa Parks bus was important because jjaba was in the civil rights movement in Detroit CORE, Congress of Racial Equality in the 1960s.

If the winners can post their email addresses, jjaba will contact them privately.

jjaba, thanks for playing jjaba trivia.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 556
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yahoooooo! It pays to read the Jjaba threads!

MrsRes thinks this is better than winning on Jeopardy, and thinks Jjaba is more handsome than Alex!!

My e-mail is bcjaxson@comcast.net>

Thanks Jjaba!

The_rock

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took both photos at both considerable expense as well as time, then excused myself from the contest which would have otherwise assured me a quick victory, and now note two winners ( both deserved) are declared.
jjaba, old sock, does Halacha, or Jewish Law as it is know by most of us, recognize the common law count of quantum meruit?
If so, I may be next in line.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 716
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock,

It should be noted that Jjaba waited for at least a minyan to post before declaring a winner ;)

Jjaba

Post Number: 6507
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gut shabbos.
jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6508
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With no legal contract with The Rock and no copyright on file for the photos, and with no recognized retainer for usual and customary fees, The Rock is correct in assummsit on a quantum meruit. jjaba will give him exactly what he deserves.

Look for your reward in the mail and thank you for reminding jjaba that you are his in-house photographer.

Don't fool around with your lawyer. That could end up biting you in the ass.

jjaba, for the jjaba trivia contest.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 466
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba has a sense of humor so he can handle this....

I caption photo number 2 "Colonel Sanders' Ride to Dearborn"

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61 named the locations?

Or East_Detroit named the locations?

I know... all Eastsiders look alike.

BTW, the Congregation of Moses shul was formerly Congregation B'nai Israel of Kalamazoo (until 1946 http://www.templebnaiisrael.co m/aboutus/history), hence my answer (even though the sign clearly states the new name).

Jjaba

Post Number: 6509
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_Detroit 1741 was the winner.
jjaba errored. Sorry.
East_Detroit, kindly post your email address here for award and thanks for the Kalamazoo link.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

The_rock

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now east_detroit is the winner? Wait a minute.The contest called for both the "where" AND the "why". Post 1741 identified the "where", but Ply/res ( post 556) apparently got the "why".Neither got both.
Seems to me that Gut shabbos would indicate either no winner or two winners, but I gotta admit that I am getting well out of my field.
However, since the author of the contest clearly spelled out that he is "the sole judge", his ruling stands.
Or should the matter be referred to the Sanhedrin?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2851
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba did declare two winners in his post 6506...so call off the Sanhedrin!

Way to go, East_Detroit and Plymouthres!

Ray1936

Post Number: 3143
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see a law suit in the offing.

Dexter Bus
v.
Rosa Parks Bus

Jjaba

Post Number: 6510
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen pours a gallon of sanity on the subject. Yes, two winners are declared.

The Rock recused hisself from being Of Counsel, then he turns right around and wants to be jjaba's lawyer. Rock already gets a prize for being jjaba's personal photographer but evidently wants a legal retainer too. Must be a VERY slow week around the office, eh.

Ray1936, although well intentioned, jjaba's beloved Dexter bus could never compete with the famous bus at the Henry Ford Museum. That bus ride was incredibly powerful.

jjaba, still wearing socks until Westside boating season begins.

The_rock

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very slow is right, and marine fuel is over 5 bucks a gallon. Need retainer, prizes, coupons, anything that works short of petrol theft.
Just got back from the Sci Center and the Pirates/Shipwreck Treasure exhibit.Really well done. Congrats Sci Center. Good crowd too. No boating today with a pretty strong wind. Looking forward to another jjaba contest.
You really know how to entertain the Forum, jjaba.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3144
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen the Rosa Parks bus. Will have to make a trip to the museum next visit there. I suspect it gives you the same feeling as I get when I view the Lincoln rocking chair there.

History is powerful.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6512
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kennedy car in Dallas, the Rosa Parks bus, the Lincoln Chair, and that 1949 Ford where Ray1936 mooned the World on N. Woodward are all vivid memories.

The nicely restored Rosa Parks GM Coach nee Pontiac, Michigan stands out in the Henry Ford Museum. It is in a partioned room with other memories of the segregated South. Ray1936 can even try a drink in the "Colored" drinking fountain.

Glad to see The Rock getting out to the fine museums around Detroit. jjaba will help The Rock with gas money if he ever gets a ride on The Winsome. jjaba will be outfitted with Dockers shorts, pink Polo shirt, Speery Docksiders sans socks.

jjaba on the Westside.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6515
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba asks that the two declared winners respond to jjaba so prizes can be mailed.

jjaba.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a case for Solomon (1 Kings 3:16-28)!

Plymouthres

Post Number: 561
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba-

Perhaps you missed it but I posted my e-mail in my post 556 above.

E-mail is bcjaxson@comcast.net.

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.