Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Another 20/20 story on ABC - Warren's traffic tickets scam. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 744
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080514/NEWS04/ 805140393/1006/NEWS04

Set your TIVO if you're not able to watch tomorrow night. Warren's Mayor will be on national TV.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5395
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren cops are notorious for writing tickets. You all heard about that Kanapsky asshole writing thousands a year so he can get overtime when showing up for court. With all the $$ Warren gets from tickets you'd think they'd spend a little more on the southern end of their city. Van Dyke from 696 to 13 Mile is the biggest speed trap in SE Michigan by the way...

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 413
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren isn't alone-plenty of towns use traffic tickets as a method of generating revenue under the guise of law enforcement. About 8 years ago I got a ticket in Allen Park and when I went to court it was a joke. Each ticket was handled basically the same way-pay the fine & no points. the average fine was 100.00 and I counted a least 40 people before me so they city in a little more than an hour raked in over 4000.00 I was out & done by 10 AM so imagine what they collected by the end of the day.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All in the name of citizen protection. Maybe they have a better system in Columbia or Mexico ? Just pay the piper.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Columbia or Mexico? If you don't like the system in Warren, that's the only alternative? Gimme a break...

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saying, it's not fair. But bullshit flows downhill, just look for the source.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5396
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same thing happened at court in Warren. The judge kept calling people up every 20 seconds. In 30 minutes he must have brought in at least 7 grand.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 752
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A disgruntled disciplined police officer was dismissed for writing petty spite tickets in Sterling Heights several years back.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dpd is just as guilty, my friend got a bike ticket for not having it registered

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3409
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone gets a chance, go to WXYZ.com and enter in "Kanapsky" in the search field.

What's sad about this entire thing is that the judge hearing the cases in one of the videos linked actually has the audacity to claim the since the cop is an "unbiased observer", then his word takes on more credibility.

Apparently, getting paid a boat-load of OT somehow make you an "unbiased observer".

As far as I'm concerned, if Fouts wants to get any real credibility here, he'd fire not only Kanapsky, but every cop shown in the videos of them blowing the stop signs.

Everyone who had received a citation for this "infraction" would receive a refund from the City of Warren and their records would cleared.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 415
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well its the same if the ticket recipient is a friend or relative of a cop- one call & it's dismissed with a wink and a nod. I knew several kids of cops that were punk trouble makers and thieves yet never spent a day in court because their dads got them off. Several even became policemen later. Remember one in Detroit named Terry Brawner AKA Patch Eye? He got hard time in federal prison for corruption yet he was a no good scumbag as kid-his daddy was a cop & got him out of trouble a bunch of times & Brawner made it on the force.
The bottom line is cities & towns use traffic enforcement to generate revenue more that keeping streets safe for motorists and pedestrians

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 741
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was kid I was heading back home from a fishing trip with my uncle. Somewhere around Grayling or so we we're pulled over by a state trooper who decided that we deserved a speeding ticket. After he handed us the ticket my uncle remarked that that it was unfair that he was the one when getting the ticket when almost everyone was speeding. The trooper politely asked us if we had been up North fishing (Rather obvious with the boat behind the truck). When my uncle said that we had the trooper said "When you went fishing did you catch ALL the fish?". I still make fun of my uncle for that one 20 years later!

If you don't obey the traffic laws don't bitch when you get a ticket for it!

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do some garden work in warren for a small business on MacArthur. There is a stop sign on the street in front of the business. MacArthur is quasi residential. There is generally a motorcycle cop lurking to ticket residents who blow threw the stop sign. It gets to be pretty amusing. I can only conclude that the residents who use this street must have an iq less then the speed limit since he is always there. I occaisionally bring him coffee and a donut from the business lunchroom. I've witnessed this activity for ten or more years.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so.........................

do they roll the stop sign or not??????

To think..... when MI is at an all time low regarding $$ / politics / industry / economy / health & wellness / etc. ........ that some other facet of our lives has been deemed corrupt and/or undermined. Everything about this situation is bad for citizens. What else can go wrong? Guess I'll chime in tomorrow and find out.

This country is in desperate need of a political awakening.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck cops were notorious a decade ago for claiming overtime while writing ass-loads of tickets. Then about three years ago we got socked with an additional $700,000 after the court ruled that all of that overtime should also have been included towards their pensions.

Darwinism

Post Number: 745
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnnny5 above must be a supporter of bad cops. Look, there are clear differences between good cops and bad cops. It is not about the traffic tickets that are deserved. It is about the bad cops lining their pockets.

Wanna find out if these cops and these judges are good or bad? How about taking money out of the equation? As they say, when in doubt, follow the money trail.

If we want honest police and honest judges, we need to remove the financial gains, because Metro Detroiters are already strapped for cash. How about eliminating the Overtime pay, and giving community service to petty traffic violations? Then we will know if these greedy cops and greedy judges will still be writing tickets without cause and handing down judgments unfairly.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If we want honest police and honest judges, we need to remove the financial gains, because Metro Detroiters are already strapped for cash. How about eliminating the Overtime pay, and giving community service to petty traffic violations? Then we will know if these greedy cops and greedy judges will still be writing tickets without cause and handing down judgments unfairly."

Oh.. OK, yeah this can definitely happen. While were at it, let's put that fence up next to Mexico, start ticketing aggressive drivers in city traffic, finish up the citizen recall of Kwame, restructure the national Health Care system, finish converting to alternative energy resources, save the polar bears, eliminate pollution and end racism via education and communication.

I love when everyone has the solution to the problem, but nothing is ever going to get done. Nothing personal Darwinism, but the reality is these cities would never, ever in a thousand years voluntarily substitute their city income for a more diplomatic and honest means of governing a city. And who's going to make them do it. Looks good on paper, but.......

Futhermore, the implications,effects and consequences (stated previously and elsewhere) regarding this scam are endless and disgusting. Taking money away from honest, safe driving citizens who are wrongly accused by officers of the law in an official courtroom. Putting that money into the pockets of "corrupt" city officials. Driving up insurances and tangling our courtrooms. Blind eyes and refusal to interpret the situation. Lack of investigations, which indirectly condone this behavior. Not the slightest scent of conspiracy by the ruling judges in these areas. Loss of trust and reliability on behalf of the citizens in a particular community. Increasing gaps between officers' accountability to the law. Mimicked behavior by more and more officers and officials. Do I need to go on?

Darwin..... I really like your solution and it's what should be done, I just don't believe in federal / state / local government integrity anymore. To much power and $$ available to keep a once honest man straight.

Darwinism

Post Number: 746
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve, they do say that "Money is The Root of ALL EVIL", don't they?

America is still a land of liberty built by the people. If we lose hope and belief in the people who represent us in local government, state and federal government, then we owe it to ourselves to remove these scumbags from public service, because frankly they are not being of service to the public after all.

It takes greed on the part of police officers, as well as on the part of the judges, to have such a racket go on for so long. As the saying goes, "It Takes Two to Tango". At this point in time, we are seeing an increasing spirit of citizen frustration and this frustration is fueling their desire to fight the corrupt police departments and the corrupt district courts.

$21,000 a year is a lot of money - especially for just being an overtime portion for a traffic cop. And guess what, Kanapsky is smiling his way to the bank on our dime.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwin, you shed some much needed optimism on the matter at hand. It would be a real personal victory to see this situation exposed quickly with all players reprimanded or convicted respectively, and the citizens reimbursed and exonerated for their tickets. Just like you said.

In most cases the situations are suffocated in red tape and the offending parties are under sentenced for their actions. Look at what is happening with Kwame. He could possibly tie this entire mess up for quite some time. By then, his term could be expired. He can then walk away.

This $$ = evil thing has been going on for a long time. I know it and so does everyone else. I just wish that racket were exposed and acted upon. Whether by the people or by the next non-conflicted government system one step up. I don't think the people have as much power and cohesion as you suggest. It would be nice to see the people unite and respond with force and numbers. That seems the only way to make something happen quickly and effectively. In a quote i saw here at D-yes ......... paraphrased...

{Government should not put fear into the citizens, but it is the Citizens who should instill fear into the leaders and government itself}

I know.... I butchered the actual wording, but you get the idea.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren is the worst. I've gotten tickets there where the speed limit changes from 40 to 35 after just seconds of crossing the line. I've been swarmed by 3 police vehicles and yelled out only to find out they had the wrong vehicle. No apology or remorse for their mistake, only to be chastised for my attitude after being pulled over for no explanation.

Both experiences were completely unprofessional. Cops bantered with each other as if they were in a fraternity. Calling each other names infront of me and basically yo mama jokes. All while wasting my time.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tkshreve.... I don't understand your comment, "do they roll the stop sign or not??????". Do you mean people who do a rolling stop? If that is the question, then my answer is that people don't stop at all. If you mean, is the stop sign redundant, I really don't know since I am not there often enough to have a clear picture. The stop sign does align with a city passway/trail to a city park. Consequently, the stop sign implies a concern for children welfare. I am not defending or supporting Warren Police activities, merely reporting what I see.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 402
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to recently stop driving motor vehicles but for the past few years, I RARELY left the city of Detroit because of this exact BS. Granholm shoved approx. $1500 in driver responsibility fees up my ass. Detroits the only place I could drive without fear of bein locked up by the burbs.

Darwinism

Post Number: 748
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20088051603 60

The segment appears to be have been postponed.

From the Detroit News article linked above, the last paragraph stood out as being the sad reality of how Warren residents have been contributing their tax dollars to the more than $2 Million in police Overtime. Clearly, the $21,000 in David Kanapsky's bank account is only the tip of the iceberg. Chief Dwyer and Mayor Fouts MUST clean-house IMMEDIATELY. The national media is watching this one closely.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 746
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, but I still don't see how the City of Warren handing out large numbers of traffic tickets is a story worthy of national attention. As long as officer Kanapsky is only ticketing drivers who are breaking the law he is doing nothing wrong. In fact he is doing his job!

"Johnnny5 above must be a supporter of bad cops. Look, there are clear differences between good cops and bad cops. It is not about the traffic tickets that are deserved. It is about the bad cops lining their pockets."

Did I miss something? Does writing traffic tickets makes someone a "bad cop"? Is there any proof at all that these tickets are undeserved?

It's just about impossible to drive a mile down Groesbeck without seeing someone openly breaking the traffic laws. I really don't see how it would be possible for any officer to not be working overtime processing tickets. Then again they could just sit on their ass in the patrol car and talk on their cell phone all day. Would that make them a "good cop"?

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on May 18, 2008)

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 467
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought most departments had "quotas" for the month. I hear periodically about people getting tickets for things they normally wouldnt, then they find out its because it is the end of the month and the cops have to reach their "quota". Thats when they get ticketed for things like "obstructed vision" because of an air freshner hanging inside.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just BOYCOTT doing business in Warren.

This petty crap would stop real fast if businesses got the message.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Technically, quotas are illegal in traffic enforcement. I have overheard discussion from other forums where people suggested that Precincts utilize alternative methods of quotas under a different name. How creative.

Johnny5 - Excessive people speeding, drinking and driving or not wearing seat belts is one thing. What we are discussing here is the abundance of "failing to stop" (at stop signs) tickets. Isn't it convenient that the bulk of these tickets come in the form of he said/she said "failing to stop" tickets. I guess if you don't wait 15 seconds at a complete standstill, you are breaking the law. People have come forward in great numbers to share their stories about how this onslaught of undeserved stock tickets is not only designed to pad the pockets of cops who take advantage of the overtime system, but also contributes very, very little to making the roads any safer and drivers more assertive.

"As long as officer Kanapsky is only ticketing drivers who are breaking the law he is doing nothing wrong. In fact he is doing his job!"

It has been suggested that this officer has a very specific interpretation of the law. His zero-tolerance policy (less than zero in many peoples eyes) has allowed him to supplement his income by $21,000 a year. Doesn't that sound like a conflict of interest to you?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 767
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...I still don't see how the City of Warren handing out large numbers of traffic tickets is a story worthy of national attention."

Apparently neither did ABC. The segment wasn't included in the broadcast. Some of the other segments were unbelievable.

Darwinism

Post Number: 749
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does writing traffic tickets makes someone a "bad cop"?

Straight answer - No, writing traffic tickets doesn't makes someone a "bad cop". And you should stop playing dumb here.
Straight answer - Yes, writing traffic tickets for personal financial gains DOES INDEED make someone a "bad cop".

Do you want to know what would make them "good cops"? Simple, take away the financial gains padding the pockets of judges and police officers. Let's see if they still do their 'jobs', as you claim they do.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.