Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Transit revitalization tax increment finance authorities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last week state rep Marie Donigan introduced legislation to establish transit revitalization tax increment finance authorities(TIFA).If passed what impact on Detroit and other major cities in the state will this have.

Here's a link to the press release:
http://mml.org/thenews/5-08-08 _tifa-announcement.pdf

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds good!

I hope it passes to get Transit Moving!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I missed it on Channel 7 this morning because I had the tv turned down not to wake up my daughter, but I know SMART had a good increase in ridership due to high gas prices. If we do not capitalize on this to get mass transit in Detroit, we are missing yet another opportunity.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busiest month ever in April:

http://crainsdetroit.com/apps/ pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080513 /REG/281532307/-1

"SMART buses carried more than 44,000 riders daily in April, the highest number since the bus system was started in 1967, according to a news release."

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6644
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been watching the bus stops fill up over the past year or so around my area, and by my work. More people, and a larger VARIETY of people that seems to be including individuals from across the socio-economic spectrum.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. Buses on some routes are overcrowding to the point they have to bypass people waiting at the stops, but because of the cost of diesel and the money lost from the opt-out communities, they can't add service.

In Plymouth, for instance, community leaders seem to believe that owning a senior citizen van removes the responsibility to participate in a regional transit system. So if you live in Plymouth, you have to drive to work; your community leaders have taken away from you the choice that many of us have.

In Livonia, of course, the majority of citizens who do not use transit voted to take away that choice from those who wanted it.

If you live in Livonia, Plymouth, Canton, Rochester, Lathrup Village or any of the other opt-out communities, and you would like to be able to choose transit, let your community leaders know! SMART can't provide the service we need without you.

Bob

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article in Crain's says due to demand on the Gratiot and Woodward routes, they added more service to those routes.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gratiot: they added two more trips per day. Woodward: similar. They aren't significant additions.

Bob

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That still is better than taking service away. The more people that ride, the better. It takes away the argument that nobody rides transit in Metro Detroit.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2283
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can't build light rail because nobody rides transit in ... um ...

OK, give me a second.

OK, we can't build light rail because the demand for bus service is too high. We need more buses!

Professorscott

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, they did take service away; they eliminated trips on other routes in order to provide these additions. What we need is more transit, period, not "robbing Peter to pay Paul".

I don't hear anybody in Lansing talking about this except Marie, and God bless her for it.

Bob

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did not know they cut service from other routes to add to those two. Again, hopefully increased ridership will prove the need to improved/expanded transit.

Professorscott

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's how the service bulletin put it:

"Effective April 7, 2008: Due to low ridership a number of routes will have one (1) or two (2) trips eliminated. These routes include 160, 245, 250, 265, 275, 385, 420, 615 and 740.

Trips have been added to 560 Gratiot and 450 Woodward to alleviate over crowding.

Route 495 John R will no longer serve areas north of Oakland Mall. Service to these areas will be provided by Oakland Mall Shuttle, Troy Dial-a-Ride and revised routing on 780 15 Mile."

Interestingly, DDOT did the same thing a few weeks later on a much larger scale. They improved peak hour service on several routes and reduced the number of nighttime trips on several others.

Overall I think this is a good thing, it puts the service more closely in line with demand, but it is not a net increase.

I think we have already proven the need for improved and expanded transit, but to whom are we proving it? Our political leadership does not seem to be listening. Have you heard your leaders in the counties, or in your city, or Lansing, planning to actually do anything to try to improve transit? I haven't. We talk about it here all day long, but we're not the power structure. It seems not to give half a shit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In Livonia, of course, the majority of citizens who do not use transit voted to take away that choice from those who wanted it."

This is one of the biggest transit misconceptions. Decent transit SHOULD be offered not because it is in demand, but because it is important service to offer. A majority of people might not use the neighborhood park, but it is a service that is provided.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 690
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vast majority of Livonia wanted to keep SMART.

I'm sure Livonia will opt. back into SMART if all the posters support my petition.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where the existing Tax Increment Finance districts are in Detroit?

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a article from the detroit news about the all-time high ridership on SMART and DDOT.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080515/M ETRO05/805150386

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7350
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great ideal for public trasit. A tax to approve public service. Hopefully it doesn't reach in to conservative pockets.

Also vote YES on the 2010 SMART Bus millage. Keep public transit running.

(Message edited by danny on May 15, 2008)

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

predictions: May will beat April in ridership. Im on the 460, its full, the 450 just caught up with us at 8 mile heading south, its full as well. This summer we will see an increase in transit fatalities. Okay wait I just realized I'm in a convoy of 2 450s and 1 460 on southbound woodward. We will also see a higher break-down rate as this bus system was never actully meant to be used. And its not even rush hour yet. its 3:45.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.