Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Utrecht, Radio Shack, coffee shop to locate in new Studio One apartment building on Woodward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/studioone14308.as px

Typical Detroit -- retail space is constructed, getting everybody all excited about new stores coming into the city. Then we come to find out that it's basically just a couple of businesses vacating their current stores to move a couple blocks south on Woodward.

Whoop-dee-frickin'-doo.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there an earlier thread about the current block where Utrecht is located? Something about Wayne State wanting to demo the whole block for a lecture space.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7340
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!

Keep on building Detroit. Show the world we mean business. Detroit's not a joke and a fool of the city.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Typical Detroit -- retail space is constructed, getting everybody all excited about new stores coming into the city. Then we come to find out that it's basically just a couple of businesses vacating their current stores to move a couple blocks south on Woodward. "

My thoughts exactly. Disappointing. This means more vacant store fronts on Woodward.

And Danny, don't you mean a fool of a region? And what? No "KING KWAME" talk? Are you feeling OK? That's not like you to regurgitate the same ol' lines in a post. Surely this news about Radio Shack must have SOMETHING to do with "KING KWAME."

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wasn't there an earlier thread about the current block where Utrecht is located? Something about Wayne State wanting to demo the whole block for a lecture space

i thought they wanted to put a hotel/conference center on that corner

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah hotel/conf center...but that never really got off the ground...guess it will now

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard (this may be only a rumor) that utrecht was possibly facing closure and that being able to move to this new, smaller space will allow them to remain open. i also heard that wayne state wanted that block for something. it's not as exciting as brand new businesses, but it's good to keep the business we do have afloat!

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes WSU forced the tenants out and gave them a discount at the retail space that was better in price than the old space. The building will be leveled for a new conference center.

The conference enter is 100% needded. Currently the largest auditorium @ WSU is the Community Arts Center. The auditorium is begging to show its age with haphazardly installed projectors, podiums and computer stations that get in the way of the screen and the amount of seating. With large speeches occurring with more frequency at WSU press takes up nearly 1/4 of the crowd and many are left standing outside. The latest case was when Dr. Kevorkian spoke last fall. Nearly 1/2 of the crowd was unable to attend. Lastly is that there are classes going on during all of this commotion right down the hall. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been in a art history class and had the class disturbed by people yelling or running up and down the hall. Also with the volume of non students in the building and all of the various dangerous tools throughout the building I would have to believe it's becoming a liability for injury and theft.

This will be a great thing for the university.

-MDoyle, WSU Alum

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wasn't there an earlier thread about the current block where Utrecht is located? Something about Wayne State wanting to demo the whole block for a lecture space"

"i heard (this may be only a rumor) that utrecht was possibly facing closure and that being able to move to this new, smaller space will allow them to remain open. i also heard that wayne state wanted that block for something."

Well, in light of that, I take back what I said before -- this is very good news. Hopefully that Domino's will find some new digs, then, too.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 853
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, building is to be demoed... Not like WSU has any vacant lots in its possession or anything... Oh well, that building is kinda ugly anyway. - andy

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6618
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could that that Utrecht POSSIBLY be facing closure? There is a major art college across the street from them. They have a completely capitive monopoly now that they bought Charette's and closed them down.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JOhnlodge, All those Art Students finally stumbled accross the internet where they now buy their supplies!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6624
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe. Often you can't wait that long to get your supplies though. You get an assignment that's due the next week and you need 24" x 35" watercolor paper, you can either order online or walk across the street, I'm thinking you'll walk across the street.

CCS does have it's own store, but it's more expensive for the same stuff and has a smaller selection.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww, no new stores? Just relocating the old ones? Boo.

Wait… are they going to demo the entire block with Utrecht on it? Marwil’s books as well? I had a feeling the old English and Psychology buildings were going to go, but how big is this conference center supposed to be?

Given WSU’s track record with being so friendly and accommodating to small businesses, I’m disinclined to believe anything they say about the financial situation of a business that’s located where they want to be. Remember Z’s Place?

Last I heard, Wayne officials wanted to build some sort of arch across Woodward, as a pseudo “gateway” to the university. Hope that idea was tossed in the trash!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5777
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that would be nice to be honest with you. It would be a nice landmark if done right...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6628
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could put it on Anthony Wayne Drive or something. Woodward isn't really a "Gateway" to Wayne State.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the coffee shop is a new business. If the other stores are moved for neighborhood progress then that is a good thing.

They still havent announced the restaurant they are trying to get either so there is more to come.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, Anthony Wayne is not the gateway to WSU at all. It's Student housing on one side and huge parking structures on the other. Warren Ave is the main through fare of WSU.

Evelyn, I think its going to be just the block with the utrecht, dominos, radio shack and subway. Also I think it will unfortunately include the old English Department, not marwill, epicurus ect.

Evelyn

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or near Cass. I just never thought of Woodward as a gateway to WSU, despite Wayne State’s officials understandable determination for the college to have a presence on Woodward.

Anyone have links to the conference center plans?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6632
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah maybe Warren would be the best place, Mdoyle.

Evelyn

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard that WSU bought up the property Utrecht sits on. I hope they’ll leave some of those smaller shops alone, though. The fellows in the copy shop were nice guys.

Now I’m all curious, and feel like digging through Board of Governors minutes.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6633
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard they were going to bring these back from Baghdad for their gate.

Artists Rendering

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11692
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would obviously be a sign that the black people in the city are telling white people to stay out.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 646
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the "old English Department" people are referring to? I would not be happy if Wayne State tore down that building.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read through a good portion of the master plan and it seems like there is only one mention of a conference center and that was to be on Canfield. There is mention of student housing and a parking structure for that site. Aside from that it seems that little of the 2020 master plan has been realized. With only 12 years left they better get going quick. Much of the plan has to do with street scape, parking (redevelopment of misplaces and misused parking such as flat lots) and even mentions the development of a Woodward light rail line.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5780
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol John Lodge and Jt1

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sad what has qualified as development news in modelD lately.

Evelyn

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pic, Johnlodge! Where did you find it?

But that image... more green glass and steel! Why, Wayne State? Why?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6637
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture, I dunno I just google image searched for wayne state campus.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That pic is the new Education Commons building currently under construction on Canfield Easts of John R. It's part of the Medical School, not main campus and will connect Scott Hall to the lIbrary. The nice thing about this building is that it will turn the front entrance to the Medical School onto Canfield instead of the fortress like main entrance to Scott Hall which faces a courtyard instead of the street.

The DMC has talked about building an arc over Mack or St. Antoine as part of the entrance to the DMC. I haven't heard anything about WSU building an arch over any street.

Evelyn

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it being tossed around as an idea during a WSU Board of Governors meeting, when they were discussing the plans to build the Welcome Center in 2001. I don't know if anything became of it, or if one of the governors just mentioned it.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear, no the old English dept building is at 51 W Warren. The picture you linked to is the Simons Building which houses University Press.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.