Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fisher Mansion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to www.youtube.com and did a search for "Detroit Mansions". It came up with a great video of the interior and grounds of the Fisher Mansion, and lots of great historical information. Well worth the look. There may be more great mansion videos on YouTube, but I didn't have time to look and search using different keywords. Enjoy!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Fisher Mansion! Now it's the ISKCON (Hare Krishna) temple with an awesome all-veg Indian restaurant, Govinda's. Peacocks wander around the grounds in nice weather and it's really peaceful there :-)
http://www.detroitiskconlive.c om/aboutus.html

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6803
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure Govinda's is still open? I thought they closed the restaurant. No mention of it on their webpage.

Joymac
Username: Joymac

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up just down the street when I beleive the dodge family lived their?? Maybe the fischers. However played barbie dolls, jumped on trampilins and wandered endlessly through the house. Lots of ghosts.

Swtlorrain66
Username: Swtlorrain66

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add some fake palm trees to that house..lol.
Beautiful!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6841
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lawrence Fisher Mansion was designed by Detroit's own C. Howard Crane, who is most famous for his movie palaces... Detroit Fox, United Artists, Orchestra Hall, Capitol Theatre (Detroit Opera House), Madison Theatre, Adams Theatre, Majestic Theatre.

Of course Crane also designed other buildings... Olympia Stadium, Lafayette Building, John Kunsky House in Palmer Woods, etc.

His exotic designs palette really comes thru in the Fisher Mansion.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6511
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gistok. Nobody can come near Gistok's theater history knowledge. Merci.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.